Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up a lot about how the gearing in the Cayman's are a major difference between acceleration and speed of these cars as compared to a 911. I'm not a mechanic or know too much on transmissions and how they work. I also own a 323ci and know by changing the differential in my car, it will change my top speed but also my shifting. Example (numbers might be off), with a 2.93 diff i was able to achieve 40mph and with a 3.43 diff i had to shift at 32mph at first gear.

Why does this not exist for the cayman? The 2.93 is stock on a manual 323ci while a 3.43 is stock on a auto 323ci.

If a 3.8L from a 911 can be swapped into a Cayman why would the the transmission not swap as well? If the 3.8L engine fits with the current cayman then using that logic wouldn't the 911 transmission be able to bolt directly onto the cayman engine?

Short of a supercharger or turbo i've tried everything on the BMW and it seemed like the differential swap made my car faster more than any other mod. Why aren't people exploring the options of gearing the cayman similar to that of the 911.

Thanks and hope this didn't confused people.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Short of a supercharger or turbo i've tried everything on the BMW and it seemed like the differential swap made my car faster more than any other mod. Why aren't people exploring the options of gearing the cayman similar to that of the 911.
It depends entirely on your definition of "faster".

If you do a diff swap that makes your car accelerate faster, you will lower your top speed. Conversely, if you do a diff swap that gives you a higher terminal speed, your car will not accelerate as quickly. So what is faster to you: better acceleration, or higher top speed?

For a street car, "faster" is generally better acceleration, because one spends most of ones time getting to about 1/2 of the cars top speed as quickly as possible; unless of course you enter the Silver State Road Race, in which case one might compromise acceleration for a gain in top speed.

Steve
00 M5
06 CS
84 911
10 BMW S1000RR (0-62mph in 2.9s, top speed 180mph).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.