Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm scheduled to pick up my 2016 Boxster DBM with black top tomorrow from the dealership (after an almost 4 month wait). Quick question on fabric top protectants: should I apply it to the roof while it's brand new or should I wait a few months if is it pre-treated in the factory?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I would washed it and see if water beads off of it, if it doesn't apply protectant, if it does, why bother. It wouldn't hurt but it doesn't help either.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
If the water beads up, you don't need protectant. I use RaggTopp, which is not cheap. No point in wasting it.

ETA: Cleaners are a different story. Don't use regular car shampoo on the top. It's too sudsy and it will take forever to rinse the suds out of the cloth. Get a cleaner made for cloth tops. I use RaggTopp but there are other brands out there.

Reactions: oneirosdreams

·
Registered
785 Posts
I use nothing.
After 2 years and 13K miles the top is still fine.
Why solve a problem that doesn't exist?-Richard

Reactions: oneirosdreams

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Porsche used to market a product to protect the top. It worked. Perhaps they still sell it.

When I had a Boxster I used a lint roller on the fabric top. It cleaned up a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I use and recommend Fabric Guard 303... I have used it since my 2006 and had zero issues and the tops looked like new all of the time!

And I do wash the top as well, car soap only, with light pressure with a micro fiber wash mitt... if the paint is dirty so is the top and you can't simply rinse it and expect to remove the dirt. This however should only be done if the dirt is obvious or the local flock of seagulls have scored a direct hit! :hilarious:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts