Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So i am sure all the old hats are bored with newbies asking about buying a CS but i have to do it...sorry!

So i am looking at a buying from a private seller. It's a 06 CS GT Silver with 19 inch Carrera Sport wheels, chrome exhuast, sport shifter, Special leather terracotta, bi xenon, sport seats, PASM, Bose, park assist and a few other rims and caps and porsche crest options etc etc...

It only has 10K miles and is in excellent condition. I fell in love as soon as i saw it...i want it now!!

He asked $48k and i am willing to pay $42K...deal or no deal?!

Also, any advice on after market mods for a sport mode similar to the sport chrono package as it doesn't have that option...in fact, can i get that option installed in a used car?

Also, this is just going to be my weekend car...my weekly car is a Range Rover Sport supercharged.

Cheers fellas!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hello!

So i am sure all the old hats are bored with newbies asking about buying a CS but i have to do it...sorry!

So i am looking at a buying from a private seller. It's a 06 CS GT Silver with 19 inch Carrera Sport wheels, chrome exhuast, sport shifter, Special leather terracotta, bi xenon, sport seats, PASM, Bose, park assist and a few other rims and caps and porsche crest options etc etc...

It only has 10K miles and is in excellent condition. I fell in love as soon as i saw it...i want it now!!

He asked $48k and i am willing to pay $42K...deal or no deal?!

Also, any advice on after market mods for a sport mode similar to the sport chrono package as it doesn't have that option...in fact, can i get that option installed in a used car?

Also, this is just going to be my weekend car...my weekly car is a Range Rover Sport supercharged.

Cheers fellas!!
48K is pretty high and you can do much better...including with Sport Chrono.
You can do a ECU flash to get a similar feature to the sport chrono (softronic is well known).

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Welcome to the mayhem. First, I would check on autotrader.com and cars.com to see what a similarly optioned CS would cost in your area and then knock off maybe another $500.00 or so. Second, I would check kbb.com and nada.com just to compare and give you a warm and fuzzy. Third, if 42k is all you are willing to pay, then it's all you are willing to pay. As I always say, it doesn't hurt to ask and the worse they can say is 'no'. Now I haven't been shopping but I believe what I've seen in passing are 06's going for in the high 30's but I could be wrong not to mention I don't know what options they had.

As far as sport mode, you can get something like that with aftermarket ECU upgrades like what Softronic offers which is essentially a flash. Companies like Softronic offer other things but if that's all you want, they can do it. Keep in mind, with something like that, it's constantly on. The great thing is that it is 'customized' according to what mods you have such as exhaust etc.

Good luck in your purchase and hope this helped.
-Moto

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Carfax? Records? Any residual payments? How many owners? What type of driver? PCA member? All Porsche updates? Garaged? Smoker? Pets? Dealer serviced? What brand of fuel and octane? Why selling? Pics would be good.

I recommend a Porsche Pre Purchase Inspection. $42K for that mileage without Sport Chrono is reasonable but on Auto Trader there is a 2006 Cayman S with 4,700 miles for $40K. But it does not have PASM and other upgrades. Other cars offered are in the mid-teen K miles. You can probably negotiate lower and use the money for the Softronic upgrade to ECU / Plenum. It does not stop there...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Your 42K offer would be more than respectable. Depending on when it was purchased your coming up on the end of the warranty (my '06 is up next month). Sounds like it's pretty loaded but it still should be selling at 38-42K IMO. If you can get it for 40-42K and the inspection checks out I'd grab it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers...really appreciate the feedback!

It has been garaged and covered for the past three years. It took 8 months from order for him to receive the car so he actually got it begining of 07.

I am thinking of the pre inspection with Porsche, i think that is a good way to go.

Also, he accepted $42K so i am probably going to move forward with it.

Link is here:

Porsche Cayman 2006

What do you think? I think it looks awesome!!

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts

It has been garaged and covered for the past three years. It took 8 months from order for him to receive the car so he actually got it begining of 07.

I am thinking of the pre inspection with Porsche, i think that is a good way to go.

Link is here:

Porsche Cayman 2006

If inspection works out - Sweet!!! Remember 10 minute warm up for oil pressure / temp less than 4K rpm then you can really Drive. Read the manual over and over. You can download from the forum. Welcome to the swamp.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The car is beautiful and that interior is my favorite. Had that color in a black Crossfire Roadster I had before my Boxster. If I were to custom order another Cayman or Boxster it would definitely be the Carrara White with that Terracotta interior with several white accents (rear center console, seat backs and door opening surrounds). Hope the inspection checks out and your deal goes thru smoothly. Lots of luck.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Sweet looking car and pretty loaded with options (no wonder he asked $48K initially).

However one thing to note: it says it has a Tubi (aftermarket) exhaust, which are known to be pretty loud. That may not make any difference to you, but if you are sensitive to loud exhausts, you might want to consider that (you could always change it back to a stock or different exhaust).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers guys!

I am picking it up on the 14th...pre sale inspection taking place early next week. Will post more pics when i get the car!

Thanks for all the tips as well...i am definitely looking to upgrade the ECU but what else can i do, not too absurd, to get more torque and bhp?

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
Cheers guys!

I am picking it up on the 14th...pre sale inspection taking place early next week. Will post more pics when i get the car!

Thanks for all the tips as well...i am definitely looking to upgrade the ECU but what else can i do, not too absurd, to get more torque and bhp?
So far what I have learned from reading FAQs and other posts in this forum is start with ECU / Plenum (about $3K there) then exhaust system. Other stuff starts to get spendy which needs very careful planning about ultimate intent of use. But I am still researching. Also going to connect with local PCA / Cayman Register members for advice and notes.

Also getting Forza 3 since it has Cayman S to play around with decorative designs, wheel / tire combos, track settings, practice on tracks with and without racing lines, etc.

I figure I would enjoy the car for the first year to build up an upgrade budget based on research, prioritize on what I would like done first and then go from there.

One of the things I learned is for Gen I: high G left turns on tracks using slicks = oil starvation. So will need upgrade to oil pump systems. But what if I start with street wheels and co-driving with instructor. High G left turns may not be a factor so I might need 18" wheels and track tires (19" are heavy and tires more expensive) first along with helmet and race gear. Then there is the video camera mount and HD camcorder. I mean it is starting to be a big list...

·
Registered
36 Posts

Link is here:

Porsche Cayman 2006

Wow! i was looking at this exact same car a few months ago. Thought he was asking too much at $48K. I'm glad to hear that the owner would do it for less. The car looks amazing!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.