Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First off... Hello! I'm Greg, an aircraft engineer from Oxfordshire and I've just collected my 2011 Cayman (2.9l) in Carrara White, I'm absolutely loving it! I have lots of subtle modifications that I'd like to make, however, I am seeking some advice on certain tasks.

So the get started, having come from a 2013 Mercedes C-Class coupe with all the bells and whistles, I'm missing certain features... In particular, the excellent headlights. I appreciate the fact that Mercedes headlights are brighter than the sun, but they do make driving at night much more pleasurable, so I'd like to upgrade from the dull yellow standard units in my Cayman. I am wondering if I will require a full "HID" kit or just the replacement D1S bulbs to a higher Kelvin (K) temperature?

Secondly, the LED strips adjacent to the front fogs... Is there an option to make them daytime running lights? Would this require a software tweak at a dealership or more likely to require a wiring modification?

Finally, I find the manual gearbox linkages rather loud and ever so slightly sloppy, so I'm looking at installing a short-shift'ing mechanism. What are your thoughts? I will be installing myself, if you have any tips on doing the job from past experience, please share!

Any advice is most appreciated.

Regards,

Greg.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome Gregory!

I'm not sure about the lighting but here's a DIY for a 987.2 Boxster: Porsche 987 Short Shift Kit DIY Guide Imagine it's identical if not very similar in a Cayman.

As for the rest, I'm clueless but here's what a quick search gave me: http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/40160-ca-designs-hid-kit-install-photos.html?highlight=acg (More here: https://goo.gl/DiQ3J5)

And another search query for the LED strips: https://goo.gl/BND0im

This needs to be in the 987 mods section so it'll get a wider audience. C'mon chows, K-man isn't paying..oh wait.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Welcome. You don't mention if your car currently has halogens or HID. If halogens you'll need the full kit as the ballasts etc aren't there for HID lamps. I've read more than a few posts on problems with the aftermarket kits so do your homework first. Don't know if you can get OEM retrofit or not. Dealer question I'd imagine.

As to DRL's I've been seeing threads with folks wanting to turn them off here on the 981's. Don't think they've had luck yet. If you have PCM you could try going through the menus. Maybe get lucky. Otherwise try the dealer. It's probably code able via PIWIS but you need the tech that knows where the setting is hidden.

The short shifter should tighten things up but will not change the noise. I think you'll find the car rather more visceral than Mercedes. Probably notice all kinds of noises that you aren't used to hearing. It's a feature. Part of the experience.

Forgot to mention another potential issue with an HID retrofit if you currently have halogens. The retrofit won't have the auto height adjustment that HID's have and halogens typically don't. Can create a glare problem for oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome Gregory!

I'm not sure about the lighting but here's a DIY for a 987.2 Boxster: Porsche 987 Short Shift Kit DIY Guide Imagine it's identical if not very similar in a Cayman.

As for the rest, I'm clueless but here's what a quick search gave me: http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/40160-ca-designs-hid-kit-install-photos.html?highlight=acg (More here: https://goo.gl/DiQ3J5)

This needs to be in the 987 mods section so it'll get a wider audience. C'mon chows, K-man isn't paying..oh wait.
Thanks Caymeown! Plenty of useful photo's in those links!

Welcome. You don't mention if your car currently has halogens or HID. If halogens you'll need the full kit as the ballasts etc aren't there for HID lamps. I've read more than a few posts on problems with the aftermarket kits so do your homework first. Don't know if you can get OEM retrofit or not. Dealer question I'd imagine.

As to DRL's I've been seeing threads with folks wanting to turn them off here on the 981's. Don't think they've had luck yet. If you have PCM you could try going through the menus. Maybe get lucky. Otherwise try the dealer. It's probably code able via PIWIS but you need the tech that knows where the setting is hidden.

The short shifter should tighten things up but will not change the noise. I think you'll find the car rather more visceral than Mercedes. Probably notice all kinds of noises that you aren't used to hearing. It's a feature. Part of the experience.

Forgot to mention another potential issue with an HID retrofit if you currently have halogens. The retrofit won't have the auto height adjustment that HID's have and halogens typically don't. Can create a glare problem for oncoming traffic.
Thanks Greywolf, to clarify... I have the Halogen units and I've just purchased an HID kit (5000K) which should be with me later in the week, I'll let you know how I get on.

Regarding the DRL mod, I'm thinking about splicing an ignition switched live to the +ve supply wire to the LED units, however I'd like to incorporate a relay, fuse and resistor in there somewhere... I'll have to ask the electricary wizards at work what would work best.

I'm becoming used to the noise and after reading the owners manual, it is completely normal. I didn't realise that Porsche recommend pull away in 2nd gear when on flat, level ground!

Welcome Greg. I can't help with your questions, but there is plenty of good advice to be had on here.
Cheers Trev!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I didn't realise that Porsche recommend pull away in 2nd gear when on flat, level ground!
Congrats on the car. You'll have lots to learn about Porsche's' eccentricity. Uhmmm - I mean features.

I don't think you have the above right. I've never heard of this being recommended for a manual unless driving on ice. Maybe that is referring to PDK in manual mode?

·
Administrator
34,404 Posts
Welcome Gregory!

Short shift kit may or may not eliminate your noise, you can always pull the center console and drive around trying to pinpoint where the noise is coming from to see if something just needs lubed or something is rubbing where it shouldn't etc.

Lighting - you will need entire HID kit, ballasts, etc. and there are write-ups on this site from owners who have done this, be sure to check Articles section. As mentioned, you won't have self leveling though.

You mention an LED strip. On a 2011 987.2 Cayman there is no LED strip, there is only the round fog lights so I'm not sure what you want to turn into a DRL. There is a setting in PIWIS to turn the round fog lights into DRLs or not, a dealer can activate/de-activate this setting. If you have some other LED strip please post pics because only Boxsters had an LED strip in 2011 whereas the Cayman had round fogs.

What am I not paying attention to? :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
For HID make sure you avoid morimotos. They will most likely flicker and throw an error even with the Canbus kit. When you ask them about it they will just tell you oh this is not really plug and play. Matt is a big porsche guy and the only fix he found was to go get your car coded for xenon.

The kit that works and proves Matt's theory to be BS is MTEC Xenon HID Conversion Kit Mercedes Benz W212 E Class
I installed them and they were plug and play. No errors and no flickering. A bit pricier but hey it works

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on the car. You'll have lots to learn about Porsche's' eccentricity. Uhmmm - I mean features.

I don't think you have the above right. I've never heard of this being recommended for a manual unless driving on ice. Maybe that is referring to PDK in manual mode?
IMG_3831.JPG

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff489/gregdaisley/IMG_3831_zpsxb2sfdzx.jpg

Short shift kit may or may not eliminate your noise, you can always pull the center console and drive around trying to pinpoint where the noise is coming from to see if something just needs lubed or something is rubbing where it shouldn't etc.

Lighting - you will need entire HID kit, ballasts, etc. and there are write-ups on this site from owners who have done this, be sure to check Articles section. As mentioned, you won't have self leveling though.

You mention an LED strip. On a 2011 987.2 Cayman there is no LED strip, there is only the round fog lights so I'm not sure what you want to turn into a DRL. There is a setting in PIWIS to turn the round fog lights into DRLs or not, a dealer can activate/de-activate this setting. If you have some other LED strip please post pics because only Boxsters had an LED strip in 2011 whereas the Cayman had round fogs.

What am I not paying attention to? :)
These are the lights in question, factory fitted to 987.2 cars in the UK...

FullSizeRender.jpg

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/gregdaisley/media/FullSizeRender_zpsosshvai2.jpg.html

For HID make sure you avoid morimotos. They will most likely flicker and throw an error even with the Canbus kit. When you ask them about it they will just tell you oh this is not really plug and play. Matt is a big porsche guy and the only fix he found was to go get your car coded for xenon.

The kit that works and proves Matt's theory to be BS is MTEC Xenon HID Conversion Kit Mercedes Benz W212 E Class
I installed them and they were plug and play. No errors and no flickering. A bit pricier but hey it works
Thanks, I have ordered a kit from HIDS-Direct here in the UK so I'll keep you posted with my progress and whether they work or not...

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
It won't be dark where you are anymore after you see the light.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Oops yeah forgot about those mini strips I thought you were talking Boxster style so nevermind. I'd still check to see if dealer can make DRL changes in the piwis to them and let us know.
On the 987,2, I don't think the LED strips are bright enough to legally qualify as DRL. The newer cars (Porsches, Audis, Jags...) have much brighter LED strips.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
On the 987,2, I don't think the LED strips are bright enough to legally qualify as DRL. The newer cars (Porsches, Audis, Jags...) have much brighter LED strips.
you're right, the lights are not very bright but are used as position lights and parking lights at night.

I recall somewhere in some cases they are used as driving lights when the round 4 dice DRL is not activated.
on mine, the DRL can be turned on/off using the dash "stalk" on the steering column, but there is no option to use the smaller lights instead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I installed my HID kit yesterday afternoon and took the car a drive after the sun went down. The difference was night and day, pardon the pun! Haha.

For anyone interested, this is the kit I purchased from HIDS-Direct (UK Based)...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts