Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a ton of research on various aftermarket radios, I decided the Pioneer AVH-X3800 would suit my needs best. I also bought the install kit. All the wiring worked perfectly, but the unit won't fit in the trim piece opening. I should still be able to use the trim, but with the unit sitting back about 3/8 of an inch at least, the install looks cheap and hacked together.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any fixes? Solutions? Ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which install kit are you using? I just installed a Kenwood unit with euro motorspeed's install kit and the fit was pretty good. Certainly flush.
I'm not exactly sure which kit I have. I bought it used from a fellow P-9 member. I looks like the one Delray Customs uses, which I think (minus the "Porsche" on the top of the trim) is the same as the Euro Motorspeed's kit.

I spoke with Euro (very helpful folks!) and they said the new Pioneer units don't work well with their kits.

Are there other kits available? Pretty sure Suncoast is the same as Euro.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I put a Pioneer 5100 in my 987 and it fit basically perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
Last year's model. I'd have to find the invoice to be sure, but I believe it was the Euro bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another issue has come up. I'm beginning to wonder if I have the wrong installation kit. Anyways, when I went to slide the radio into the dash it wouldn't fit! Please see the photo. The brackets each have a tab which is (apparently) suppose to fit in a groove in the dash. If I fit the tab in the groove the top of the bracket hits the top of the dash. What am I doing wrong?! Should I bend the tab?

This install is going into the fifth day! Am I that incompetent?

Auto part Automotive window part

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got the unit in the dash. While the nose on the Pioneer head unit doesn't come out flush with the trim, it doesn't look too bad. So I'm going to live with it. Apparently only Pioneer DIN units with the 7" screens will fit flush with the Euro trim piece.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.