Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think in this context “boxster” means “entry level convertible”. I say that because an “electric boxster” would not be a boxster in any way. Batteries will be in the floor, there would be no boxster engine, rear storage would be larger, no transmission (so no MT or PDK), etc.

I am sure it would be a great car. They may even give it the boxster name, but I doubt it.

Will you make an electric entry-level drop-top? Yes.
When? Probably a long time from now because it will be difficult to get Porsche margins on that car. But someday.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
If they can sell the Taycan as a "Turbo," then I don't think the same marketing geniuses will have any qualms about calling an electric car a "Boxster."

They bungled their chances to grow their market at the entry level when they moved to a four-banger and jacked up the price. The 718 should have been an EV all along, not a host for a dead-end powerplant. The Boxster EV prototype could have been developed into a very interesting car, one that 981 diehards, 911 grognards, and those new to the marque would have been potential customers for.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Article states, “I can’t imagine what will happen when it makes no noise at all.”
I can, I won’t buy one.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Porsche knows exactly how to to destroy/eliminate the Boxster/Cayman platform.
First, make it a 4 cyl turbo while raising the price. Then make it electric and raise the price further.

No thanks.

I just hope they keep making parts for my two Porsches because I'm not going electric. And if Porsche is looking at the next generation of people to buy these cars.....think again.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Porsche knows exactly how to to destroy/eliminate the Boxster/Cayman platform.
First, make it a 4 cyl turbo while raising the price. Then make it electric and raise the price further.

No thanks.

I just hope they keep making parts for my two Porsches because I'm not going electric. And if Porsche is looking at the next generation of people to buy these cars.....think again.
You guys still don't get it. Pro tip: READ the source material, not someone's opinion of the source material. VAG is all in. There will be no more ICE vehicles. It's just a matter of when, not if. I see a Macan in your Sig? Same article - 2020 Macans are Electric. I see a Targa in 2026. Same article is talking hybrids. VW, MB, BMW, they are all done with ICE. Its just a matter of how fast they can build the factories and push the cars out.

Read the fines that are coming https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2018/12/12/vw-psa-face-huge-eu-fines-from-fuel-economy-failure/#4355d6f92803 Its all there.

·
Registered
953 Posts
You guys still don't get it.
No, we get it. Sports car is a totally useless contraption, it exists only to provide best fun the owner can have with clothes on. For some owners, no ICE means significantly less fun. Or no fun at all.

I am firmly convinced that I bought my last ICE-powered grocery getter, there is no reason anymore to not have EV for that function. Sports car? I don't think so. I cannot care less what bureaucretins in Washington, DC or Bruxelles, Belgium have to say about it, my wallet stays closed. I'll find another hobby to get me excited. It will probably be a lot cheaper, too.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I'd put down a deposit sight unseen for an electric Boxster/Cayman. And if a base version cost what an S costs now I'd be more than good with that.
The new reality is ICE is dying...and all electric cars will be able to do 3-4 second 0-60 sprints, everyone will have essentially the same battery technology and range and most electric cars will be appliances. A two-seater Porsche electric car will undoubtedly be easy on the eyes, add stellar handling to the performance equation, and be as well built as anything on the planet.

It's a good thing the flat 6 lovers want to hold onto their cars forever. Once electric hits the tipping point, there won't be much of a market for used slow, noisy, outdated ICE Porches (IMHO, of course).

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'd put down a deposit sight unseen for an electric Boxster/Cayman. And if a base version cost what an S costs now I'd be more than good with that.
The new reality is ICE is dying...and all electric cars will be able to do 3-4 second 0-60 sprints, everyone will have essentially the same battery technology and range and most electric cars will be appliances. A two-seater Porsche electric car will undoubtedly be easy on the eyes, add stellar handling to the performance equation, and be as well built as anything on the planet.

It's a good thing the flat 6 lovers want to hold onto their cars forever. Once electric hits the tipping point, there won't be much of a market for used slow, noisy, outdated ICE Porches (IMHO, of course).
I tend to doubt your last sentence. When I look at all the old cars still being loved and shown and driven, I think there will always be a market for ICE cars. At least as long as fossil based fuels are available.
Now, I do agree that battery cars are coming and coming fast. It has yet to be proven whether or not the electrical grid can handle the load. More concerning is where is the electrical generation going to come from? Nuclear is the only source that can provide constant 24 hour/day power that is CO2 free. Then you look at batteries for all the solar and solar generation that need battery backup to store all the power produced not to mention the batteries for all the EV's. The next 10-15 years are going to be horrendous for the environment (Mining, smelting, construction, transportation and waste disposal from all the manufacturing).
Personally I don't think folks are thinking far enough into the future. ICE is going to be with us longer than folks think.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I tend to doubt your last sentence. When I look at all the old cars still being loved and shown and driven, I think there will always be a market for ICE cars. At least as long as fossil based fuels are available.
Now, I do agree that battery cars are coming and coming fast. It has yet to be proven whether or not the electrical grid can handle the load. More concerning is where is the electrical generation going to come from? Nuclear is the only source that can provide constant 24 hour/day power that is CO2 free. Then you look at batteries for all the solar and solar generation that need battery backup to store all the power produced not to mention the batteries for all the EV's. The next 10-15 years are going to be horrendous for the environment (Mining, smelting, construction, transportation and waste disposal from all the manufacturing).
Personally I don't think folks are thinking far enough into the future. ICE is going to be with us longer than folks think.
Yes, many of the items you outlined are concerns and short- or medium-term technical, infrastructure and manufacturing barriers. Once a tipping point is reached however - which could be 5, 10 or 15 years out - there's no going back. At the point it's not possible to buy a new non-electric or electric hybrid car, the inventory of used ICE-powered vehicles will plummet in value. Maybe the U.S. will be the last holdout, but all the world's manufacturers have seen the writing on the wall and are adjusting their product development roadmaps away from ICE. Sure, there will be collectors, but it'll be akin to a technology geek collecting old computers that are hopelessly outdated and provide no real utility. It's absolutely not going to happen overnight, but at some point the resale and eventually the collector market for ICE vehicles (except certain truly rare pieces of art and history such as Ferrari GTOs) will collapse. I'm 63, and I fully expect to see this complete transition happen in my lifetime. I know others are reading the tea leaves differently, but I believe ICE is enjoying its last hurrah. I love the sound of an internal combustion engine at full chat as much as anyone, and will enjoy it while it lasts...but I'm not going to be buying many more ICE cars and sure as heck not holding on to any of them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ll be right here hanging on to my ‘87 and ‘14 Porsches because I really don’t see much on anyone’s business or legislative plans and outlooks that will “inspire” me away from them. As for some new hobby interest...I am seriously considering getting into slot car racing when I retire. I loved our HO Aurora Modeling track set and Thunder Jet cars when we were kids in the 60s. It was a great way to connect to “driving” cars well before I was permitted to drive real ones. Man, we even had a 917 and a dune buggy!!
Since the time is probably coming when the environment-saving electric-battery cars are banned I guess I will have preserved at least some personal car-related sensation. Even if it’s in HO, 1/32, or 1/24 scale down in the basement on plywood and saw horses next to the water heater. But when electricity gets banned altogether by the evolving genius of our species I will probably lose the water heater. And I’ll probably be too old to slide back on the banana seat of that neat old Schwinn Sting Ray bike with the baseball cards clothes pinned against the spokes.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Another interesting side note - Porsche is being cautious about going electric with the 911

https://jalopnik.com/porsche-is-being-extremely-careful-about-electrifying-t-1833338848
I give credit to the author for actually talking to a Porsche executive. Usually these blogs just point to some other blog where somewhere else talking to someone who knew someone, and then they give opinions. Good for him.

On the negative, he just had to add his opinion in the first sentence about "being relative". No, I doubt that. Its more like every unit counts. Every car over the 95g limit drags down the EU averages. The fines are coming. The 911 might be last but it will come.

edit., Then notice the marketing, the advertising, the selling ....

"it’s possible that future generations may not associate the sound of an ICE with power and acceleration"

"emotion is about more than just noise" Sure the sound of silence is thrilling. How many people, who actually pay to fill the sits, attend a Formula E event?

“When you will drive a Taycan ....you will recognize a little bit of the 911.” Is that like saying when you drive a 4,000 lb Macan it's a sports car?"

All marketing lines. They selling an agenda
because they have no choice. Its a done deal.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Game over ... https://newsroom.porsche.com/fallback/en/2019/company/porsche-taycan-electric-sports-car-blume-interview-17185.html

"... we are unconditionally committed to the Paris climate protection objectives. ... we have a responsibility to reduce CO[SUB]2[/SUB] emissions ..."

Then this

"The EU has further tightened CO[SUB]2[/SUB] limits for the period up to 2030, stipulating a reduction of 35%. Are you one of the people that believes this to be an over-ambitious goal?

Blume: ... we must achieve them in order to meet climate goals."

Translate (IMO) We will follow EU regulations. Kiss those ICE cars goodbye

"we will be offering the 911 with a combustion engine for as long as it is legally permissible to do so;"

The 911 will be the last one to go.

"the new generation of the Macan will be purely electric."

And the Macan the first to go

The sound of silence will be deafening.

·
Registered
299 Posts
[responding to the following: "...as long as I can $$$. At some point, it just won’t make sense anymore. When it’s impossible to find parts and the car just sits, it might be time to move on."]

probably sooner than that - like when governments begin taxing fossil fuel consumption well beyond most peoples ability to pay...

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
[responding to the following: "...as long as I can $$$. At some point, it just won’t make sense anymore. When it’s impossible to find parts and the car just sits, it might be time to move on."]

probably sooner than that - like when governments begin taxing fossil fuel consumption well beyond most peoples ability to pay...
Then the legislators who enacted that law will be voted out of office and replaced by those who have a reasonable view. That's the advantage of a democratic form of government.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Yes, many of the items you outlined are concerns and short- or medium-term technical, infrastructure and manufacturing barriers. Once a tipping point is reached however - which could be 5, 10 or 15 years out - there's no going back. At the point it's not possible to buy a new non-electric or electric hybrid car, the inventory of used ICE-powered vehicles will plummet in value. Maybe the U.S. will be the last holdout, but all the world's manufacturers have seen the writing on the wall and are adjusting their product development roadmaps away from ICE. Sure, there will be collectors, but it'll be akin to a technology geek collecting old computers that are hopelessly outdated and provide no real utility. It's absolutely not going to happen overnight, but at some point the resale and eventually the collector market for ICE vehicles (except certain truly rare pieces of art and history such as Ferrari GTOs) will collapse. I'm 63, and I fully expect to see this complete transition happen in my lifetime. I know others are reading the tea leaves differently, but I believe ICE is enjoying its last hurrah. I love the sound of an internal combustion engine at full chat as much as anyone, and will enjoy it while it lasts...but I'm not going to be buying many more ICE cars and sure as heck not holding on to any of them.
I am in no way 'anti-electric' but will be saddened but the demise of the ICE, they have done so much with it in the last decade to clean things up and considering the other sources of CO2 emissions, they are not nearly the problem they once were, but that will not turn around it's demise... I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea the end is as close as the bolded statement might suggest?

You get me thinking, should my 2016 be the last one I buy as well, that 4.0l 420HP 718 Spyder is a very tempting swan song but perhaps a bit of a folly as well, I know I want it but do I really need it. I guess it all depends on how much fun I could have with it before it gets possibly legislated off the road, I don't think I would feel too bad if I got 10-15 years of enjoyment before it's final run?

Financially/fiscally perhaps this all comes down to a math question after all... :(

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Then the legislators who enacted that law will be voted out of office and replaced by those who have a reasonable view. That's the advantage of a democratic form of government.
I expect that's the next move by the EU. They have increased the 2030 goals, as noted by the PAG CEOs comments above. VAG does not appear to be making its 2020 goals. A good analysis is here https://www.vcd.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Redaktion/Themen/Auto_Umwelt/CO2-Grenzwert/2018_04_CO2_emissions_cars_The_facts_report_final.pdf. BMW is in worse shape. The flexibilities are kind of like the loopholes. Each company has a different target. A more recent analysis https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2018/12/12/vw-psa-face-huge-eu-fines-from-fuel-economy-failure/#71f370ba2803 It all looks complex but it does not look like VAG will make the targets. A fine, a tax, its all the same thing. Its the government deciding what's best for you.

But that is the EU, not the USA, totally different. Not going to happen in our lifetimes, simply because of the vast resources and wealth underground. The ANWR leases haven't even been let yet nm exploration of resources offshore. Predictions are the US will export more oil than SA within a few years. Energy independence, something the EU is seeking per their own website, has about been achieved. This means come WWIII, we can stand on our own, not depending upon Middle East Oil. Meanwhile Europe will be screwed once Russia cuts off the gas. I know history isn't taught much anymore but I can pretty much guess the lessons of history are not forgotten. The parents of the Baby Boomers and Gen X fought in WWII. Pearl Harbor happened over Natural Resources. What's the US going to do, beg China and the Congo for some natural resources (rare earths and Cobalt) the US doesn't have? Yeah, not going to happen. Millions of people didn't die in WWII for no reason.

But the EU has not much of anything. Little to no oil, some in the north but Norway isn't part of the EU. Different problems. Different situations.

I wonder what Porsche is going to do when they only sell EV Pannies, Macans, and sportscars in the US and there sales tank. They could rise. Maybe they will be best sellers. You think? No, a company whose heritage is based in Endurance Racing. I don't expect it. But we will see.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts