Discussion Starter · #1 ·

[TR]
[TD="width: 80, align: center"]
Automobile
[/TD]
[TD="class: j"]

Next-Generation Boxster/Cayman to Be Renamed Porsche 718
Automobile
No, Porsche will not be rolling out a new model, but the 718 name will still be in play, instead applied to the next-generation Porsche Boxster and Cayman models. The new name will accompany a slight perspective shift for these mid-engine sports cars, ...
Porsche Cayman has walk-up start in race for car of the yearThe Australian
Porsche's Boxster GT4 Could Look Something Like ThisCarscoops (blog)
Porsche announces 718 development cancelledWorldCarFans.com

all 5 news articles »
[/TD]
[/TR]

More...

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Glad I've got my "6 cylinder" CGTS on order already -- the last of the 981's,... hmmm...The article said the engine sizes were 2.0 and 2.5L -- but the outputs say forced induction. Maybe Porsche will record the 6 cylinder sounds and pipe it into the 718's cockpit since the turbos will surely mute the exhaust sound!
Really, the article just restates the previous rumors, but new is the "719" nomenclature

D

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I guess I can rebadge my existing car now as a 718--and I don't mean my Boxster. Just add one of those electric superchargers to it that WW likes so much. :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
That article is saying the 4 cylinders will have more power than the equivalent current 6s, yet the cars will be 'significantly less expensive.'

Clearly not happening.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Reinventing/repositioning the 981 as a 718 makes no sense. Until a reputable publication quotes by name a highly placed executive inside Porsche I don't believe it.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I guess I can rebadge my existing car now as a 718--and I don't mean my Boxster. Just add one of those electric superchargers to it that WW likes so much. :)
Aww.. You remembered. :D

Reactions: pmonkey

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
IMO, they need to make a cheaper model to make the 911 stand out more. Right now 981 and 991 are too similar, but cost way too differently. Once you get to the GTS trim, many potential 991 buyers are like 'why bother.'

Think its a agreed that the next generation will be a v4 turbo that will have to do 300+ HP/torque. Highway MPG will rise to 33+ and 0-60 will be less than 20. I'm sure the price will be similar to the current model, but it will be advertised more of as entry level model and buyers will be pointed at the 911 (also probably made cheaper) as the step up. We'll see... i might even get one.

RIP flat NA v6. They hit the bottleneck and the 3.8 engine is as good as it gets. As far as I'm concerned, a turbo done right like BMW is transparent and enjoyable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts