Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I added an AWE catback to my NHP catless headers last night and holy @#$%@#$ this thing is loud now!!! IMO, its verging on obnoxious between 2-3K RPM, but after 3K it sounds phenomenal...I just hope i can live with the noise so I can enjoy it in the higher RPM range!

So, the question is this: If I would like to quiet it down just a tinyyyy bit, what are my options? I have no qualms about selling the AWE and going for a bit more tame catback, but I love the quality of the AWE. I have heard that adding the AWE tips makes a difference...is this proven? Right now I am running the OEM sport tips that came with my car. Any suggestions are welcome. Also, would adding headers with cats help at all? Would I lose any power gains I have achieved? TIA

·
Registered
317 Posts
After hearing what the Borla sounds like on Blitzkrieg's Cayman S, I am not too surprised that you find the AWE " … verging on obnoxious between 2-3K RPM" but fantastic after 3K. This is one of the reasons why I keep the stock muffler section when I went with the NHP catless headers.

Given that you find the AWE phenomenal after 3K, you might consider keeping it and installing a resonator on each side after the header but before the muffler. Because it may be difficult to find a sound clip or Cayman S owner with the exact exhaust combination you have (including resonators), you risk installing the resonators only to be disappointed with the end result.

Let us know what you decide to do. I suspect that others may have further suggestions worth pursuing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The more I drive it, the more I like it. Its really not that bad between 2-3K RPM and it sounds down right sexy/exotic up the upper range. It pulls strong too. I drove around last night and can't imagine going back!!

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Tips won't affect your sound much if at all, try letting the exhaust settle in some, but short of a system like Capristo that has valves your system is pretty much going to continue to sound like whatever it sounds like now, you may just have to adjust your driving style a bit to compensate.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Karrera4

where did you get the NHP catless Headers ? Hows the quality ? Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Karrera4

A buddy local had them and didn't want them anymore, so I purcahsed from him. He got them from Maxspeed Motorsports. The quality is excellent and they are priced right!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

My Maxspeed NHP headers just arrived in the mail today, will be installing them tomorrow. Will shoot a TON of videos and pictures this weekend! Stay tuned. Quality looks good and to be honest I think they are nearly exactly like the fabspeed ones, just $1,200 less :dance:

·
Registered
198 Posts

My Maxspeed NHP headers just arrived in the mail today, will be installing them tomorrow. Will shoot a TON of videos and pictures this weekend! Stay tuned. Quality looks good and to be honest I think they are nearly exactly like the fabspeed ones, just $1,200 less :dance:
'I hope you took a good look at diameter on the primary before the install...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Would have been nice if you had done a Dyno comparisson before and after the install... Did you?

Is the Catback also catless?

·
Built for speed AND comfort.
172 Posts
I'm the buddy who sold the NHPs (were a little too loud for me on my Boxster S with a catless NHP exhaust to boot) and went back to the stock headers. With the stockers, the sound is now a little too tame... Ugh.

Maybe I should swap my NHP exhaust for Kent's AWE!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts