Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to move my 06 CS today from the lot where I live to where I work. There it will be safer than in a public lot. To make the move I had a coworker, that lives nearby, drive it to work today while I borrowed his truck and met him at work at the end of the day.

My friend bought a 2008 350Z Nismo, new, last year. The Nismo is a beauty and it performs well and after reading the reviews comparing the Z line to the 987 I was anxious to get his insight.

On our way home he was very happy to have driven the CS. He had been bragging he was going to get to drive it home again since I arrived last minute to meet him. :hilarious:

His thoughts were much the same as other comparisons I have read in the past. The CS feels more stable and agile in the corners. The CS felt, to him, a more tactile and intuitive car. His major complaint was the shifter, he said it was difficult to judge where the gears were and it felt a bit sloppy.

I had some trouble adjusting to the stock shifter when I got the car as well. I have the B&M shifter and have not as yet installed it.

I am trying to convince him to bring the Z to a DE this year. We aren't too far from Millville, so I hope he will come to one of the events.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have the short throw and it's the best shifter I've ever had. I love it. Only complains at all are finding reverse from newbies.

·
Registered
119 Posts
In their latest issue Car and Driver (Lightning Lap) drove a new Nismo and ended up crashing it due to brake failure. Turns out the pads are not suited for track use and Nissan may make available a set of track pads upon request for those with the Nismo package. Your friend may want to inquire about that possibility as the test car lost its brake pedal suddenly and without warning. Check out the article online to get the particulars but it seemed a bit scary. :eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
You think the gear shift lever is a little sloppy in a Cayman:hilarious:
Just go and drive a 60's, 70's or 80's 911.......we used to call it "dial-a-gear" as your hand was always roaming around looking for the next gear up or down.

·
Registered
696 Posts
+10 on that.

I came to my Boxter from a 78 911 SC. The only reason the gear shift lever gets sloppy is from me drooling on it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Z and the Cayman both have the transmission mounted just behind the engine. In the case of the Z this means the transmission is just to the right of the driver's feet and so the shifter can directly manipulate the gear changing mechanism (or use simple rods/levers to bridge the short line-of-sight gap). With the Cayman, the shifter controls two long, flexible cables that snake around the engine to the transmission in the rear of the car. This is a recipe for sloppy feel, but necessary for the mid-engine layout.

A short shifter helps somewhat. I just self-installed the Porsche unit. But, all things being equal, a cable connection isn't going to feel as tight as a direct coupling. On the positive side, the cable connection isolates the shifter from any vibrations that may be going on in the engine and transmission. I drove a G35 where you could actually watch the shifter shaking in tandem with RPM.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Many years ago I had a '62 356B Super 90. It was a wonderful car but the shifter kind of flopped around. The amazing thing was I never missed a shift, although there were times I wondered.

My '07 Cayman is a daily driver and is pretty precise, especially in comparison. It is in a heated garage at night. With the PA winters, after work, especially lately with the COLD weather we've had the past week, she protests going into first and sometimes second until she is warmed. Then she gets much happier. :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Yup, I currently have a 2007 G35 6-speed. The shifter knob just vibrates and vibrates. I learned to drive a stick without resting my hand on the shifter, otherwise this would drive me nuts!

A short shifter helps somewhat. I just self-installed the Porsche unit. But, all things being equal, a cable connection isn't going to feel as tight as a direct coupling. On the positive side, the cable connection isolates the shifter from any vibrations that may be going on in the engine and transmission. I drove a G35 where you could actually watch the shifter shaking in tandem with RPM.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I also learned without resting my hand of the shifter. Still not sure why that's a bad thing (other than the vibration driving someone crazy :) )

With that said, I'd be interested to hear other people's opinion about the 370Z. Magazine articles seem to praise it but I'd be more interested in the average person's take on it.

-Moto

I learned to drive a stick without resting my hand on the shifter, otherwise this would drive me nuts!

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
The reason for not resting your hand on the shifter is fork wear or whatever Porsche calls the things. There is a fair amount of leverage created from the shifter to the forks. Having a constant load on them when not being called to move the clutches to change gears causes undue wear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts