Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the opportunity to get one of these vs. upgrading my CS to a CR? Can I get some truly unbiased recommendations on your guys/gals thoughts about the pros/cons of each car? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have driven the nismo but have not had a chance to drive a cr. To me even the base cayman is better than the Nissan. I don't like the cheaper feel of the car and nothing will ever handle as well to me as the croc. Both are great cars and price does lean towards the nismo, very good grunt when you step on it and the auto blip downshift is very nice, however the main thing is which type of car you prefer. Anyone who has driven the cars listed can make an opinion but to me I think it's a matter of which car speaks to you the most.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Chris Harris has a comparison on YouTube comparing the new Toyota vs a CS vs a 370Z. Pretty entertaining and may assist in your decision through his evaluation of the thoughts on the Nissan.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Chris Harris has a comparison on YouTube comparing the new Toyota vs a CS vs a 370Z. Pretty entertaining and may assist in your decision through his evaluation of the thoughts on the Nissan.
+1 on this, the OP would get a alot out of watching this video. :cheers:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I already did! Ol' Chris seems to feel the 370 gets worse the faster you go! :) Guess it's the Cayman...:)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I like the 370Z (Nismo or not) for what it is and does, but there's no getting away from the fact it's mid-engined sports and feels a little heavy.

Would I have a 370Z, yes! Would I have one over a Cayman, let alone a CR, no.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If cost is no object, then by all means the CR is the better car.

If cost is a factor, then I'd want to know how much more the CR would cost above and beyond the 370Z. Off the top of my head, I'd guess the CR is darned near twice the price. OTOH maybe the OP has a lot of discretionary money to spend. I am not independently wealthy so I couldn't just ignore that. If I could ignore price, I'd be driving a Ferrari.

If the 370Z has better equipment on it, the intended use is street only, and OP doesn't have strong feelings about the CR's styling, and the OP doesn't have a lot of extra money to burn, well, there's my answer.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I owned a 2003 350Z and I enjoyed it very much. I tracked it about 40 days. With approriate mods, it will hang with or beat most Caymans. I had a choice when I replaced it. New much improved 370Z or 5 year old Cayman S? I chose the CS because I wanted something different, & I loved it's looks. NO regrets other than I'm getting chips without a clear bra that would have been my 1st mod on the new 370Z.

If you can swing a CR, go for it. I wish I could afford one. I'm not a fan of the tupperware on the Nismo version, but the sport package will give you all the best parts of the Nismo, minus a couple horses.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I agree that a Cayman R is the way to go. Actually I would get a well optioned CS because I'm not a track/auto-x junkie. I heard some of the weight savings in the CR is due to the removal of some of the sound insulation.

What about a 370 and then take the extra money and add some tasty upgrades? I think a good agruement could probably be made that with some nice suspension and brake upgrades the 370 could probably out-pace a CR on the track.

In the end it will still have a cheaper feel to the car and it will never have the mid-engine balance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I test drove the NISMO Z a year ago.
I thought the ride was harsh, extremly harsh compared to my spyder.
The car felt bulky.
Did not like the seating position, felt high.
Steering is not as precise and not much feedback.
It feels like it has raw power, however, the chassis and the engine dont seem to work in unison.
The CR would be an unbeatable package, however i might pick a non-NISMO Z over a base CS and modify the Z with the money i save.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Have the opportunity to get one of these vs. upgrading my CS to a CR? Can I get some truly unbiased recommendations on your guys/gals thoughts about the pros/cons of each car? Thanks in advance!
I am not certain how "unbiased" I can be as I own a CR. Before I bought my R, I cross shopped a lot of less expensive (mostly) Japanese cars and the 1M. For me, cost was not an issue, which made my decision much easier: the CR was, by far, the best car for my intended purpose (fun car, track toy). The only other car I really wanted would have been a 997 GT3. I'd make the same choice again -- the CR is a keeper. The CR's steering, braking, and handling really are amazing.

Cheers,
DJM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts