Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short car history for me: Eclipse GSX (back when it was a AWD) -> Boxster -> Boxster S -> Cayman S

I was planning on getting a 2010 Cayman S, but my build date was apparently cancelled/rescheduled a few months later which puts me in the complicated/unpleasant position of needing to figure out what to do with the ~2 months in between when my lease expires and when the new vehicle would arrive.

I've loved my Porsches, but I've become increasing disenchanted with my customer experience this time. It seems that Porsche has cut back production "to the bone". I had a hell of a time finding a SINGLE dealer in Los Angeles (not exactly a small market) that had a 2009 Cayman S for me to test drive. Having my build date be cancelled is starting to remind me of the old addage about straws and camel's backs.

I've read a bit about the Nissan GT-Rs. I think the Cayman has more beautiful lines and while I may have only put 10,000 miles on my car in the last 3 years, I am philosophically aligned towards its superior gas mileage. However if you read some of the reviews and the specs of the car, the GT-R sounds very impressive (i.e. performance on par w/ a Ferrarri at a cost of a well optioned Cayman).

I was wondering if any of you have had any experiences w/ the GT-R and what your thoughts are about the vehicle from the perpsective of a current Porsche owner.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
While it sounds impressive, a number of people have told me that it's just not that fun to drive. Sure you will post numbers like that Ferrari you talked about, and if that's what you want to do, go for it. I almost went down that path myself. They are 2 totally different cars. Just go stand next to one. It's huge compared to a Cayman.

See this: Rumble Seat: 2009 Nissan GT-R -- latimes.com

Basically this is the same as what people have told me. One guy sold it after a few months for these reasons. Of course I havnt personally driven the GT-R so dont take too much into it. But I'd say go drive it and compare. Of course I havnt driven a Cayman either other than a rather lengthy test drive before ordering one.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think the GT-R is pretty exciting as far as specs go and the interior is nice. I checked a few out in the showroom but haven't driven one yet. It would be on my list of must test drives for my next vehicle. I am not crazy about the looks but go back and forth on it. I wonder if they will do platform sharing and create an Infiniti version of the car. I think Infiniti might be able to refine the look and create a more grown up version.

It is a very big car and the pictures don't really show its size.

"This is a big car, 183.3 inches long (almost 10 inches longer than a Corvette). And it's heavy: 3,836 pounds." --from that latimes article

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
no one would fault you for getting a GT-R, but they are totally different cars. Godzilla is BIG... much bigger than the pictures make it look. I haven't driven the GT-R, but have been in/around a few at local car & coffee things...

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
The GT-R's specs are impressive, but there have been reported transmission issues related to launch control and the cost of maintenance is quite high - brake replacement, for example, has been reported to be in the $8000-$10000 range.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Short car history for me: Eclipse GSX (back when it was a AWD) -> Boxster -> Boxster S -> Cayman S

I was planning on getting a 2010 Cayman S, but my build date was apparently cancelled/rescheduled a few months later which puts me in the complicated/unpleasant position of needing to figure out what to do with the ~2 months in between when my lease expires and when the new vehicle would arrive.

I've loved my Porsches, but I've become increasing disenchanted with my customer experience this time. It seems that Porsche has cut back production "to the bone". I had a hell of a time finding a SINGLE dealer in Los Angeles (not exactly a small market) that had a 2009 Cayman S for me to test drive. Having my build date be cancelled is starting to remind me of the old addage about straws and camel's backs.

I've read a bit about the Nissan GT-Rs. I think the Cayman has more beautiful lines and while I may have only put 10,000 miles on my car in the last 3 years, I am philosophically aligned towards its superior gas mileage. However if you read some of the reviews and the specs of the car, the GT-R sounds very impressive (i.e. performance on par w/ a Ferrarri at a cost of a well optioned Cayman).

I was wondering if any of you have had any experiences w/ the GT-R and what your thoughts are about the vehicle from the perpsective of a current Porsche owner.
Invader:

If you want to look for something non-Porsche, I'd start with the latest issue of Motor Trend where they pick the best "driver's car". Cayman wins, but some of the other cars in the top 5 are better candidates than the GT-R.

Performance specs are very misleading. Put sticky tires, a stiff suspension and the right gearing on a car and you can make it perform for these tests, but it may be a miserable car to live with. A lot of cars are getting performance more with electronics than with chassis goodness. There is definitely a big difference in the ownership experience. I think the GTR is in this catagory. Great, well at least good, for a weekend track machine or for street racing (never street race!), but not really very fun to drive around in.

M3? 335i? 135i? Audi S4? Audi S3? Audi TTS? Audi R8? Miata? VW GTi?

Many of these can be optioned out to be very nice, including newest Miatas, which feel great to drive hard and don't have so much raw speed that you can't really get the feel of wringing them out.

You have to do a little modification to the 135i to make it feel right on track. Same with several of the others except M3 and R8.

The R8 is pricey, but very sweet.

Miata is great fun if you like the idea of something nimble and light...Engines are better than in the early cars and they ride a little nicer too, with better interiors. They still have almost no storage space, however. The trunk is the size of some glove boxes.

The S3 is a neat package. TTS really tempted me when I was looking last April. The Audi turbos can be chipped for pretty big power.

GTi is a good driving car but rather plain. I like that new VW CC. It's a small sport sedan. Not terribly quick, but a nice looking car and good driver.

Then you have the Mercedes AMG C class and roadsters. These are good certified used cars to buy. I think most of them look terrific. I've drove a freind's E class AMG sedan with the big V8 (can't remember the displacment...6 point something??? It's not what I'd want, but the steering feels good, chassis is solid and the car handles good for a middle sized sedan that has massive power.

If you don't need track performance, there are quite a few stylish, well-built cars out there that work very well on public roads, present well and are a lot of fun.

Have you thought about buying an '09 or '10 CS off the lot? There are some out there...not a ton of them. I know Inspringhausen near Champaign, IL had some new ones around a few weeks ago. Dealer can do a search. Take a vacation and pick one up? In these times, dealers order and can't sell in some markets or buyers order and then can't take delivery.

I'm sure you sweated every detail of your Cayman order, but you might be able to find something out there that excites you. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Another qualified "haven't driven it, but" it was on my short list before I purchased the CS. The negatives that pushed me away were the stratospheric cost of maintenance, dealer track unfriendliness, short warranty, huge weight and documented performance without involvement. I really like the idea that when I'm driving, I'm driving; not several computers.

If you're in Socal, you can have a quick test drive in my '09 CS if you return the favor when finally buy...especially if it's a GT-R. I found that '09+ cars to be a substantial enough improvement to have to eat the extra depreciation. Just my $.02

·
Registered
240 Posts
I find that I can't be satisfied with a vehicle that looks like a complete turd. (Heck, I can't even buy a beater pickup truck and accept flaws that I can easily fix.) Thus, the GT-R is right out for me. It looks amateurish and inconsistent in styling, as if it was designed by two different teams - one for the front and one for the back. I've only seen a few running around so far, but it is only attractive if you find '80s Mitsubishi Starions attractive. Or maybe the Pontiac Aztek.

I thought is was vaguely familiar looking, and I couldn't figure out where I had seen the design. Then I was digging around in some of my old junior-high-school drawings and there it was! I drew that car in eighth grade! Seriously, the styling it is devoid of any professionalism. Or uniqueness. At least the overall proportions are right.

So, for those of you who disagree, I get it. To each his own.

Compared to a Cayman, 800 lbs more weight is going to make for a totally different driving experience. This car seems like a new product, not really derivative from previous models. As such, and given the high level of sophistication in the mechanical package, I am quite sure that the mid- to long-term durability and reliability will be somewhat less desirable than a Cayman, 911 or Boxster.

I don't see the GT-R as a sports car so much as a cheap supercar. (Sports cars should be affordable, light, involving, intuitive and fun to drive, while supercars have never really been light, or obtainable.)

As for buying off the lot vs. a custom order, that is a dilemma faced only by Porsche buyers, plus buyers of very, very few other marques and the super rich. GT-R buyers buy off-the-lot, so why is that better than buying a Porsche the same way? Pretend that you have a fixed options list like a GT-R, configure a Cayman S based on that, then have your dealer search for something close to your spec.

Finally, it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.

Enjoy whatever you get!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've both CS and GTR. They have no similar and comparison IMO.
GTR is fast, violent and strong, true supercar performance out of the box. The harder you drive, the better you feel. it's boring and uncomfortable when driving at low speed.
CS is more like a happy car, I'm happy whatever speed I'm in. its better for day to day driving. Better handling on DD use, better balance.
If you haven't driven any GTR yet, my suggestion is you shouldn't try it.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
I could not agree with you more. Sometimes I have more fun driving my beater just because I can take it to its limits easier.

-Moto

Finally, it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.

Enjoy whatever you get!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've been following this thread with some interest. I always wonder what goes through peoples minds when choosing expensive cars. I've found myself to be in the "love a beautiful work of art camp". It seems that I, as a Cayman owner could have chosen many other vehicles faster than my car yet I wanted the Porsche experience, mystique and what have you, as well as beautiful lines on my vehicle of choice. Even within Porsche I had several options that were well within my budget but when it came down to it, the Cayman is just more pleasing to my eye. If I had the choice to own either of two cars that are as fast as a Ferrari or Lambo and it only cost $70k it really wouldn't interest me unless they equalled those cars aesthetically as well. I'd want the Ferrari or Lambo, not a Nissan. To me, it's buying the history, again the mystique, the sheer beauty not just purely the numbers on paper that say my car is faster than your car. So are you a speed guy or a fan of the beautiful pieces of art that are Porsche, Ferrari Lamborghini and others? I guess only you can answer that. I'm quite satisfied being in love with beautiful cars and not just raw horsepower. Now you wrap that Nissan in some sheet metal that resembles these other cars I've mentioned and maybe my story would change.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My friend had a GTR, he soon sold it for a Cayman S after driving mine. Apart from being huge and 'numb' to drive, its unbelievably vulgar. Driving one in the UK gets looks for the wrong reasons. He felt he kept getting laughed at and the only people who commented on it being a nice car were chavs.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If you want to read stuff about the GTR vs. other Porsches, you should slide on over to 6speedonline.com and you will find some hilarious threads where GTR fanboys do battle with us Porsche koolaide bunch. But you need some time because some of the threads go on for 100 plus pages. There are some Porsche guys on there who have been racing for years and some guys who own both a GTR and a 997 TT, so I believe they know what they are talking about. Some things I have learned: as someone mentioned above, the GTR was designed to be really fast for a few laps. Then, the brakes go and the tranny overheats, and you have to stop and let her cool down. I think Nissan banked on this, knowing that when magazines road test cars, they don't run them for too long. Thus, the GTR looks like it belongs with the Porsches and Ferraris, but it really can't keep it up for long. Also, as mentioned above, changing the oil and tranny fluid and a minor "tune-up" is $2000. And, this must be done frequently. It is also rather cheaply built compared to Porsches. Believe me, you will be entertained if you hop over to "6speed".

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Um...yes...

http://www.planet-9.com/general-off-topic/26019-i-am-excited-i-cant-help-guys.html

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxs...gt-r-versus-porsche-cayman-s-75k-comparo.html

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-comparisons/26332-cayman-versus-gator.html

I would stick to listening to people who have actual experience with the cars.

The GT-R is an amazing car. Different class of vehicle. Nissan is new to the high-end market, though, and they have had challenges.

The comment about being boring at low speed? I found that to be a strength of the GT-R. It can act like a Honda Accord when you want it to.

There is no human being who would be quicker around a track in a Cayman S than in a GT-R. If you drive a Cayman, you will be MUCH quicker in a GT-R. Same goes for a 997 Turbo for that matter. Average guy is going to easily be quicker. The guy K-Man passed appeared to be drunk he was such a bad driver. I instantly knocked huge amounts of time off my laps by stepping in to a GT-R. Read the thread.

Driving a fast car fast is best of all.

·
Registered
992 Posts
My friend had a GTR, he soon sold it for a Cayman S after driving mine. Apart from being huge and 'numb' to drive, its unbelievably vulgar. Driving one in the UK gets looks for the wrong reasons. He felt he kept getting laughed at and the only people who commented on it being a nice car were chavs.
You should ask him how much money he saved on tissues since the switch...what a crybaby. They probably weren't laughing at just his car anyway....:helpme:

Would I consider a GT-R down the road? Of course...that thing is a monster. It wasn't on my radar while car shopping due to a few reasons.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hmmmm, Uk is so different from US. :eek: I drive my GTR in california and get positive response at most of time.
That might be had something to do with his driving habit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'll be driving a new GT-R for a week or so next month. The owner paid $120k for it!!! Talk about a premium for having it first. The funny part is he's been out of the country for months and hasn't even driven it more than a few days.

Anyway, I'll be doing some work with him out of state and have the use of his GT-R. Can't wait to see the difference and write a little comparative review.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
^Looking forward to it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts