Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any oponions for DE.....Nitto N1 Vs the Toyo 888?
Will be used on 06' Cayman S with DE typs mods
Steve

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Yes, plenty have been posted on the forum. Don't be shy.

·
Registered
626 Posts
both are worthless on wet.
don't know about NT01 but R888 do require a decent heatup before they start to grip.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Actually the R888 aren't too bad in the wet. Are you planning to drive back and forth to the track with R comp tires? What experience do you have? Depending on the answers to these questions, there may be better choices.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Actually the R888 aren't too bad in the wet. Are you planning to drive back and forth to the track with R comp tires? What experience do you have? Depending on the answers to these questions, there may be better choices.
Exactly. I drove on them in a standing down pour on an open track day just to learn the track (no one went out early because of the rain.) So I was cruising just to learn the track and started pushing little by little to see where the limit was.....the limit was much better than I anticipated. I was shocked at how good they were in the wet.....

·
Registered
866 Posts
No experience with Nt01 will try them soon. As far as 888 They were on my Lotus stock and very nice in the dry. Once I do drive on the Nt01 I will post an update. I am actually quite interested in what others have to say. I have heard they are very similar. Quite frankly I guess if your just doing DE, then primary consideration is safety (as in predicable at limit) and longevity. Given that, hope to hear some folks replies that have used both.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nitto NT01 always > Toyo R888 as of now. but NT01 has higher suspension setting requirement due to the soft compounds.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have run NT-01's for two DE seasons, and they were great. Very consistent and predictable, and they do not seem to heat cycle out.

I have not run the R-888's, but the tribal wisdom is that they heat cycle out before they wear out, and they do not really grip any better than NT-01's from new. The only advantage of R-888's that I know of is that you can flip them on the wheel due to symmetrical tread pattern, but personally, I think flipping tires is a false economy / band-aid for a poor suspension set-up.

I have found that NT-01's seem to have a much stiffer construction than a Hoosier, or even one of the extreme performance street tires, such that they do not need as much negative camber or pressure for optimum performance. If you have not modified your front camber, this could be a very big advantage.

Kippis,
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
they are finally getting the 987 sizes again..

they were out of stock for a while.. FEBRUARY 2015 ..according to my whole salers..

i have great prices on local pick ups..

lemon

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S w/ TPC turbo
304 Posts
"The only advantage of R-888's that I know of is that you can flip them on the wheel due to symmetrical tread pattern, but personally, I think flipping tires is a false economy / band-aid for a poor suspension set-up."

I have run Nittos for several years on both an AWD Audi and my Cayman and think they are the most bang for the buck. My track car is also my DD and I drive it to the track so I don't adjust camber at the track. I just have it set at max negative and leave it there. By the time I have too much wear on one side (usually after 4-5 track days) the grooves are pretty much gone and I flip them. I don't think there is much asymmetry left at that point. I typically get 7-8 days on the fronts and as much as 11 on the rears.

·
Registered
268 Posts
"The only advantage of R-888's that I know of is that you can flip them on the wheel due to symmetrical tread pattern, but personally, I think flipping tires is a false economy / band-aid for a poor suspension set-up."

I have run Nittos for several years on both an AWD Audi and my Cayman and think they are the most bang for the buck. My track car is also my DD and I drive it to the track so I don't adjust camber at the track. I just have it set at max negative and leave it there. By the time I have too much wear on one side (usually after 4-5 track days) the grooves are pretty much gone and I flip them. I don't think there is much asymmetry left at that point. I typically get 7-8 days on the fronts and as much as 11 on the rears.
+1 - Same here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts