Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any news on NT01s? Anybody heard when they'll be available?

In their absence, are most going to R888s?

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
I've read that some are going to 'Kooks'.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Pilot Sport Cup 2

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
try SummitRacing.com

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Only available for 19"+, afaik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only available for 19"+, afaik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know why forum people cling to last decade's size. There is no reason not to go 19" in the year 2014. All of the tire technology has moved into that size. It literally doesn't cost any extra to get a PSS in 18 vs. 19. And now 18" only has compounds that are 15-20 years old, and it'll never get the new stuff.

·
3,107 Posts
I don't know why forum people cling to last decade's size. There is no reason not to go 19" in the year 2014. All of the tire technology has moved into that size. It literally doesn't cost any extra to get a PSS in 18 vs. 19. And now 18" only has compounds that are 15-20 years old, and it'll never get the new stuff.
In that case you should spend more time on searches. Existing 18" wheels with greater selection of 18" tires that are cheaper to boot. But I'm sure that if you will financially support the OP he might be persuaded to entertain your advanced knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
According to my wholesaler , the 245 40 18 is being retired.. that size for the NT01 ...

argh..

the rears are still availble..

lemon

·
3,107 Posts
I've seen that - but most everyone I know on Kooks are slow….. (not anybody here, of course)…..
Must be those that equate "spirited driving" to "track driving". Kidding. :hilarious:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
. . . . . And now 18" only has compounds that are 15-20 years old, and it'll never get the new stuff.
Seriously? Just as a for example, TireRack only shows 6 OEM size matching combinations in 235/265 x19's & none of them are, by some folks standards of choice or needs, a particularly "great" track tire.
15 - 20 year old compounds just because they tire's an 18"? How do you figure that?

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
To supplement amdeutsch's & mlpor's replies, the OP and all others in this thread (except you) are referring to R compound tires, a performance group to which the Mich PSS doesn't belong.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The Pilot Sport Cup 2 needs no sales pitch from me. They put it on supercars like the McLaren P1 and the GT3. To everyone who has a habit of using some other R compound, it's time to try some of the newer tire tech over what has sort of worked. Some R compounds are great tires, provided it's 70 degrees ambient, no moisture, and the sun isn't setting. If any of that goes south your likelihood of losing it goes way up. The new tires are more forgiving and provide 90% of peak perf.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The Pilot Sport Cup 2 needs no sales pitch from me. They put it on supercars like the McLaren P1 and the GT3. To everyone who has a habit of using some other R compound, it's time to try some of the newer tire tech over what has sort of worked. Some R compounds are great tires, provided it's 70 degrees ambient, no moisture, and the sun isn't setting. If any of that goes south your likelihood of losing it goes way up. The new tires are more forgiving and provide 90% of peak perf.
What WestWest888 makes you think I, or we or whoever hasn't run Pilot Sport Cup tires?

Maybe you should try some of our 20 year old 18" rubber? :) It may not be the ultimate determining factor, but as best I can tell, these are running @ $400 or more a full set less than the Michelin Sport Cup2 or Sport Cup+ I guess the good news for the belt & suspender's crowd is one can get the 981 OEM size 235/40 & 265/40 x19 in Run Flats - in fact RunFlats are all you can get the 40 series tire in. If you don't want RunFlats, as I read Michelin's spec sheet page, you have to drop a section size, @ 1/2" in ride height, to 235/35 & 265/35 x19s.

FWIW, I believe Porsche in its infinite wisdom has decided to outfit the new 991 GT3 with Dunlops?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
What WestWest888 makes you think I, or we or whoever hasn't run Pilot Sport Cup tires?

Maybe you should try some of our 20 year old 18" rubber? :) It may not be the ultimate determining factor, but as best I can tell, these are running @ $400 or more a full set less than the Michelin Sport Cup2 or Sport Cup+ I guess the good news for the belt & suspender's crowd is one can get the 981 OEM size 235/40 & 265/40 x19 in Run Flats - in fact RunFlats are all you can get the 40 series tire in. If you don't want RunFlats, as I read Michelin's spec sheet page, you have to drop a section size, @ 1/2" in ride height, to 235/35 & 265/35 x19s.

FWIW, I believe Porsche in its infinite wisdom has decided to outfit the new 991 GT3 with Dunlops?
Your only argument is it's cheaper per tire. I never said it was going to be. I think it'll get you a lot more mileage or longevity. And I think having one tire on the car is cheaper than having extra wheels, extra tires, mobile tools, jack stands, a trailer, a toe hook, maybe even a support vehicle.

No one has really justified that the gap between a Sport Cup 2 and the tires discussed here is so great that it necessitates a 2nd set of wheels and tires. I'm positing the Sport Cup 2 as an all around streetable tire you can use in the rain that is DOT legal with R compound capabilities. It's not going to beat a Hoosier R6 at perfect operating temp in the 4th heat cycle on a beautiful late spring day at noon, but it will hang with any patterned Nitto or Toyo or Kumho with < 100 treadwear. And the guy whose front-right Hoosier corded on Sunday morning can't even go on track. Let's not undervalue reliability.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My main reason for going with 18s is that my rims happen to be that size. So there's that.

The second reason is that I kind of like the mechanical grip the slightly softer tire gives, but I'm sure that's probably more of what I'm just used to.

I have no doubt that this will change soon, especially if the Nittos are indeed discontinued in out front tire size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
3,107 Posts
Your only argument is it's cheaper per tire. I never said it was going to be. I think it'll get you a lot more mileage or longevity. And I think having one tire on the car is cheaper than having extra wheels, extra tires, mobile tools, jack stands, a trailer, a toe hook, maybe even a support vehicle.
It's not going to beat a Hoosier R6 at perfect operating temp in the 4th heat cycle on a beautiful late spring day at noon, but it will hang with any patterned Nitto or Toyo or Kumho with < 100 treadwear. And the guy whose front-right Hoosier corded on Sunday morning can't even go on track. Let's not undervalue reliability.
You really are clueless aren't you? There is a reason for different tires - they serve ....... (I let you search for the obvious answer)...........

And really, implying that a corded Hoosier causing a guy to loose track time would not have happened with the Michelin. Geez.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You really are clueless aren't you? There is a reason for different tires - they serve ....... (I let you search for the obvious answer)...........

And really, implying that a corded Hoosier causing a guy to loose track time would not have happened with the Michelin. Geez.
Well, by virtue of being a 10,000 mile tire instead of a 1,000 mile, yes I do think it is less likely that the expiration date will happen mid-weekend. Your fudge factor on replacement is 10x, so 20 days of driving instead of 2.

R888 is old tech. Either you think chemistry has shown no improvements in 15 years with oil over $100/barrel for 10 of them, or you might try a newer tire.

I'm about track day and every day reliability. If you're up at 5:00 AM changing wheels before a 7:00 AM driver's meeting after having worked a 50 hour week and a 4 hour drive to the track in Friday night traffic, you've already lost. Pilot Sport Cup 2 is a solution.

If you're retired and you've got the week before to prepare, then ignore my simple advice.

·
3,107 Posts
Well, by virtue of being a 10,000 mile tire instead of a 1,000 mile, yes I do think it is less likely that the expiration date will happen mid-weekend. Your fudge factor on replacement is 10x, so 20 days of driving instead of 2.

R888 is old tech. Either you think chemistry has shown no improvements in 15 years with oil over $100/barrel for 10 of them, or you might try a newer tire.

I'm about track day and every day reliability. If you're up at 5:00 AM changing wheels before a 7:00 AM driver's meeting after having worked a 50 hour week and a 4 hour drive to the track in Friday night traffic, you've already lost. Pilot Sport Cup 2 is a solution.

If you're retired and you've got the week before to prepare, then ignore my simple advice.
Yup, I was right on the money. You want your cake and eat it too.

:hilarious:

The only positive I can see about your "expert advise posts" is that you are too lazy to search and post "your expect advise posts" to gain the answers for free.

:taunt:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts