Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had another nice day with my 4yo (Harriman State Park; Storm King Art Center). At the end of the day a pot hole flattened the passenger side front tire. Porsche Roadside was helpful and we're back home safe and sound.

Picked up the car in December. For those keeping score, that's two tires in a limited amount of time. Are NJ roads collecting commission from TireRack.com?

Aargh. Any tips for protecting myself? I'm not aiming for these pot holes on purpose.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Had another nice day with my 4yo (Harriman State Park; Storm King Art Center). At the end of the day a pot hole flattened the passenger side front tire. Porsche Roadside was helpful and we're back home safe and sound.

Picked up the car in December. For those keeping score, that's two tires in a limited amount of time. Are NJ roads collecting commission from TireRack.com?

Aargh. Any tips for protecting myself? I'm not aiming for these pot holes on purpose.
Argh! I thought about letting you & Jim know I was headed out but didn't. Was out for 5-6 hrs, started in Harriman, ended up at Hawks nest, then took back roads all the way back. FWIW, got mine in December, killed one tire - nail right through it. To make matters worse, it was a pilot super sport that was brand new...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
897 Posts

Sorry to hear it.

I'm not sure what tire pressures your running but lowering it a bit may help the tire / wheel absorb some of the energy if you should encounter another pot hole.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Argh! I thought about letting you & Jim know I was headed out but didn't. Was out for 5-6 hrs, started in Harriman, ended up at Hawks nest, then took back roads all the way back. FWIW, got mine in December, killed one tire - nail right through it. To make matters worse, it was a pilot super sport that was brand new...

Would have loved to do it but weekends are busy for me - lots of clients in town.

Next time your up at Hawks Nest continue up 97 N to the Roebling Bridge and then head up to Hawley PA via Route 590 - it's a blast. There's 2 routes from the bridge towards Hawley ( see the maps ).

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Would have loved to do it but weekends are busy for me - lots of clients in town.

Next time your up at Hawks Nest continue up 97 N to the Roebling Bridge and then head up to Hawley PA via Route 590 - it's a blast. There's 2 routes from the bridge towards Hawley ( see the maps ).
Thanks for the roads! I'm going to need a better system to organize all your suggestions!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Argh! I thought about letting you & Jim know I was headed out but didn't.
Next time. I'm almost always in Harriman State Park one weekend day each week. May not be able to next week, but we've been pretty consistent as long as weather permits.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Waze has pointed out some pretty serious potholes for me. I wouldn't expect to be really reliable on remote roads, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Waze has pointed out some pretty serious potholes for me.
We had Waze on at the time. No alert. There's probably too many out there that folks have stopped reporting them all together. We were in a fairly heavily trafficked road at the time.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I bought my Boxster with 78k NJ miles. Dude must have hit every pothole in the state; the MPS2s were is such bad shape that one literally exploded while sitting in the sun in my driveway the day after I got home, pop hiissssssss. The snow wheels I had driven home on were bent to hell, too, but the tires were at least in good shape.

I think 19" might be too narrow a sidewall to hold up to potholes and 20" is just crazy. 18" run at higher than normal pressures help absorbs the shock loading and helps from pinching that sidewall between the rim and road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.