Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the NM Automotive PCM3.1 upgrade. The CarPlay, Android Auto functionality seems to be very similar to the Joyauto and others I’ve seen reviewed here on the forum. This isn’t an install DIY (the install is close to identical to the other unit types), but just a quick review of my purchase experience and how well the unit works. If you purchase the unit the install instructions provided are far superior to anything I could provide.

In a nutshell I’m very impressed.

The unit is made by Unichip and seems to be sold through re-sellers like NM Automotive.

Nick at NM Automotive is great to deal with. From the first email I sent him enquiring about the product and onwards until well after I bought it, I could not have asked for more. Considering he is on the other side of the globe to me I was surprised at the speed and helpfulness of the answers that came back. The install instructions from NM were excellent. Whilst they are meant for a professional installer, if you are competent at pulling your car apart it’s not particularly difficult. The purchase experience I would rate 5 stars.

The install is slightly different to the Joyauto in that power comes from the harness that goes to the back of the PCM, and therefore you don’t have to get power from the fuse box. Not that this is difficult, it just makes a cleaner install. The reverse camera I used was one purchased from Aliexpress that uses the left licence plate light fitting. It has the LED lights but unfortunately it comes with camera reverse lines permanently on the screen. When the Unichip unit then puts the dynamic steering lines on the screen I get two sets of reversing guide lines, one dynamic and another from the camera. I’m in the process of finding another camera that doesn’t have the permanent lines so I only have the dynamic lines created by the Unichip unit. I went for this fitting as I didn't want to cut into the bumper to install another camera or have a licence plate camera. When I get another camera I'll cut it apart and fit it OEM style as much as I can into the light fitting.

Link for the camera that has the light fitting is below. This is the only camera I could find that has this light fitting that is specifically for the car.

US $17.81 18% OFF|Car Rear Camera For Porsche Boxster Cayman / GTS / 987C 987 2 981 / Car Parking Camera / Backup Camera / License Plate Lamp OEM-in Vehicle Camera from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress

I haven’t found anything in the functionality of the Unichip unit that seems surprising or doesn’t work correctly. My PCM runs 3.40 software so it’s one of the earlier versions. Even so, the reverse camera works perfectly and the units picks up the CANBUS signals for steering wheel position. All functionality on the PCM works as you would expect. I don’t have a multifunction steering wheel so I can’t comment on integration of this. The reverse camera works regardless of whether I’m using the standard PCM mode or if I’ve pressed INFO and gone into the Unichip unit mode. Wireless Appleplay functionality seems to work without a hitch. Sound quality and volume are identical to that coming from the standard PCM. I have no idea about Android functionality as I don’t own an Android phone.

Another thing that’s really nice is the regular firmware upgrades. They seem to come on a monthly basis, and aren’t just bug fixes but additional functionality. Eg. The dynamic steering lines and reverse sensor integration was an upgrade in Feb 20. It seems the people behind the unit are committed to product development in the future. Upgrades are simple and take about 5 minutes. They come from the NM website.

Overall I would thoroughly recommend this unit I purchased from NM without hesitation. You might pay a few dollars more than for others that are available, but from my perspective it has been definitely worth it for the ease of install, before and after-sales service, and performance of the product.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice, i'm about to pull the trigger and can't quite which brand/unit i want to try. Sounds like Unitech is a good way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I used AAMP PCAM-201-N camera $99

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I emailed them, but due to COVID-19, they're out of stock. They said they'd let me know when it's back in stock. They're hoping they'll get some more in 2 weeks. We'll see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I emailed them, but due to COVID-19, they're out of stock. They said they'd let me know when it's back in stock. They're hoping they'll get some more in 2 weeks. We'll see.
I ran into the same issue a few weeks back. Nick just emailed me and said they would be back in stock next week and shipping out. Really excited to complete this install and finally have a modern experience in my early 981.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds interesting. Does it integrate with the multi-function display for maps, nav, radio, siriusXM, and Sport Chrono functions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds interesting. Does it integrate with the multi-function display for maps, nav, radio, siriusXM, and Sport Chrono functions?
Not based on their website’s information and FAQs. Simply integrates into your existing PCM head unit and display. It does allow for a backup camera that is auto triggered when in reverse and overlays parking sensor visualizations if you have them. I’ll be installing in a couple of weeks once I receive it and will report back on my experience. Hate the thought of voiding my PCM CPO Warranty, but it’s 2020 and I want a backup camera and CarPlay for crying out loud.

Here’s a link to the product fact sheet
NM Auto Fact Sheet

·
Registered
6 Posts
So how does one access those other vehicle functions if this replaces the PCM?
its an additional computer board, black hardware box that runs CarPlay/Android Auto, and a lot of connectors that integrate into your existing PCM. It’s basically an additional level of hardware and software that stacks on top of the PCM hardware and software so that you still have all your original PCM functions, but lets you opt for CarPlay/android auto, and default to CarPlay/Android instead. Pretty smooth solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran into the same issue a few weeks back. Nick just emailed me and said they would be back in stock next week and shipping out. Really excited to complete this install and finally have a modern experience in my early 981.
Did you hear back from Nick? Did they ever get any units back in stock?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you hear back from Nick? Did they ever get any units back in stock?
Nick actually responded back to me last week and shipped the products to me two day shipping UK > US. Spent last night and today installing the CarPlay and backup camera on my 2013 Boxster. Was challenging from a DIY standpoint (took me about 6 hours), but I had a lot of fun and it works like a charm! I’m sure Nick is getting back to customers in the order they contacted him.

·
Registered
86 Posts
NMAutomotive units are back in stock so i pulled the trigger. I went around in circles on this for several months, but in the end it seems to have the latest tech, doesn't require tapping a power source, and should have good firmware support in the future if needed. Pricier, though.

1. Is it possible to fit the box behind the PCM somehow? or below it? I'm trying to avoid having it simply behind firewall carpet. The car sees a lot of track time so needs to be pretty secure.
2. I want a backup camera as well, the previously mentioneod Nakita is in stock here
Amazon Amazon
Seem like the way to go assuming i want it OEM-style? I'll drill a hole in the bumper, that's fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
NMAutomotive units are back in stock so i pulled the trigger. I went around in circles on this for several months, but in the end it seems to have the latest tech, doesn't require tapping a power source, and should have good firmware support in the future if needed. Pricier, though.

1. Is it possible to fit the box behind the PCM somehow? or below it? I'm trying to avoid having it simply behind firewall carpet. The car sees a lot of track time so needs to be pretty secure.
2. I want a backup camera as well, the previously Nakita is in stock here
Amazon Amazon
Seem like the way to go assuming i want it OEM-style? I'll drill a hole in the bumper, that's fine.
after trying a few locations, I installed the box under the PCM area. Keeps it out of the way, but all I have to do is remove the side trim on the right side of the drivers side footwell (US). It’s super tight, but it fits with wires and all. Secured it with a couple of long zip ties up under there to make sure it doesn’t rattle around on aggressive/rough rides.

bought the license plate light backup cam from Nick and it pairs perfectly. Didn’t have to go through the tail lights. Ran the wire straight back under the engine cover carpet, into the trunk, under the trunk carpet, and through the center back wire hole (981 Boxster).

·
Registered
5 Posts
after trying a few locations, I installed the box under the PCM area. Keeps it out of the way, but all I have to do is remove the side trim on the right side of the drivers side footwell (US). It’s super tight, but it fits with wires and all. Secured it with a couple of long zip ties up under there to make sure it doesn’t rattle around on aggressive/rough rides.

bought the license plate light backup cam from Nick and it pairs perfectly. Didn’t have to go through the tail lights. Ran the wire straight back under the engine cover carpet, into the trunk, under the trunk carpet, and through the center back wire hole (981 Boxster).
I contacted Nick after posting that question and he told me the kits were back in stock. I ordered one and the license plate backup camera as well. Thanks for the information about routing the wires and location of the box. Hopefully I can get it installed next weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased from Nick back in....April? Can't recall now. Impressions:

1. Nick's service (response time; problem-solving) is excellent. I am in a service industry and he exceeded expectations by a substantial margin.
2. The first PCM unit I sent him was defective. It was purchased on Fleabay and sent directly to him by a well-known vendor; Nick sorted out the return and replacement on my behalf. Prompt, sensible problem-shooting.
3. The second PCM unit was fine, and the new board was installed. He sent the PCM to me well-packaged, with all necessary accessories (including reversing camera and microphone) and with an incredibly detailed set of installation instructions.
4. He answered all queries promptly, politely and positively.

I sound like a fan-boy or a shill. I am not - I just recognise quality when I experience it. Well worth the price.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got my NMAutomotive kit installed over the weekend. Along with the backup camera install (OEM style so i took off the bumper and drilled a hole in it, etc) it took a good 9 hours. Quite an undertaking. hah I'm really happy with how it turned out. It all works perfectly and the car feels like an actual modern car now. I asked Nick several questions along the way and he responded super fast.

One thing that would be nice is if they width of the backup camera guidelines could be adjustable. Depending on your car and camera optics they'd need to vary. Nick said there's a fw request for that, but no promises. As they are they are a little narrow, but function great and look OEM. I also have backup sensors and they show up like radar on the camera view.

·
Registered
86 Posts

I got the box into the area under PCM by popping out the AC controls, but then i got nervous about accessibility if this crap didn't work so i ended up sticking it behind the carpet at the top of the carpet under the glove box. This way i can easily access the box's connectors and USB, etc. I fed the USB cable to the passenger fuse box door. Seems pretty good.

I also punched my camera cable through that rubber grommet that the factory wiring goes through in the middle. Worked perfectly and is cleaner and more protected than going through the headlight hole i think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the box into the area under PCM by popping out the AC controls, but then i got nervous about accessibility if this crap didn't work so i ended up sticking it behind the carpet at the top of the carpet under the glove box. This way i can easily access the box's connectors and USB, etc. I fed the USB cable to the passenger fuse box door. Seems pretty good.

I also punched my camera cable through that rubber grommet that the factory wiring goes through in the middle. Worked perfectly and is cleaner and more protected than going through the headlight hole i think.
I just finished my installation an hour or so ago. Deciding where to put the box is probably the most time consuming thing. I tried putting it in behind the PCM, but there just wasn't enough room. I took out the AC controls and tried to fit it in there. I tried it a bunch of different ways under the AC controls, and the best way was with the cables coming out of the box toward the passenger side and routing the AC control wires under the box. By the time I got it installed, I didn't feel like I had the energy or time to install the back up camera. I'll save that for another weekend.

I didn't have any troubles with getting it to work. After I got everything fitted, I checked for operation and it worked first time, so that's a plus. Checked the PCM diagnostics and all came back valid. The one issue I had was that my PCM's Sirius/XM antenna was not like the one in the instructions and there was no getting the new board's cable through there. So I took a cue from a video I saw on YouTube and drilled a couple holes in the back of DVD section and then cleaned it up with a Dremel. Finished it off with some electrical tape to cover the edges of the hole and a zip tie on the inside for strain relief.

I would say it took me a good 8 hours. I was surprised at how difficult the ribbon cables are to fit properly and I didn't want to have to take it apart again if it didn't work, so I was very careful about getting them seated properly. I put a similar unit in my Audi and it only took 1/4 of the time and was so much easier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts