Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the NM Automotive PCM3.1 upgrade. The CarPlay, Android Auto functionality seems to be very similar to the Joyauto and others I’ve seen reviewed here on the forum. This isn’t an install DIY (the install is close to identical to the other unit types), but just a quick review of my purchase experience and how well the unit works. If you purchase the unit the install instructions provided are far superior to anything I could provide.

In a nutshell I’m very impressed.

The unit is made by Unichip and seems to be sold through re-sellers like NM Automotive.

Nick at NM Automotive is great to deal with. From the first email I sent him enquiring about the product and onwards until well after I bought it, I could not have asked for more. Considering he is on the other side of the globe to me I was surprised at the speed and helpfulness of the answers that came back. The install instructions from NM were excellent. Whilst they are meant for a professional installer, if you are competent at pulling your car apart it’s not particularly difficult. The purchase experience I would rate 5 stars.

The install is slightly different to the Joyauto in that power comes from the harness that goes to the back of the PCM, and therefore you don’t have to get power from the fuse box. Not that this is difficult, it just makes a cleaner install. The reverse camera I used was one purchased from Aliexpress that uses the left licence plate light fitting. It has the LED lights but unfortunately it comes with camera reverse lines permanently on the screen. When the Unichip unit then puts the dynamic steering lines on the screen I get two sets of reversing guide lines, one dynamic and another from the camera. I’m in the process of finding another camera that doesn’t have the permanent lines so I only have the dynamic lines created by the Unichip unit. I went for this fitting as I didn't want to cut into the bumper to install another camera or have a licence plate camera. When I get another camera I'll cut it apart and fit it OEM style as much as I can into the light fitting.

Link for the camera that has the light fitting is below. This is the only camera I could find that has this light fitting that is specifically for the car.

US $17.81 18% OFF|Car Rear Camera For Porsche Boxster Cayman / GTS / 987C 987 2 981 / Car Parking Camera / Backup Camera / License Plate Lamp OEM-in Vehicle Camera from Automobiles & Motorcycles on AliExpress

I haven’t found anything in the functionality of the Unichip unit that seems surprising or doesn’t work correctly. My PCM runs 3.40 software so it’s one of the earlier versions. Even so, the reverse camera works perfectly and the units picks up the CANBUS signals for steering wheel position. All functionality on the PCM works as you would expect. I don’t have a multifunction steering wheel so I can’t comment on integration of this. The reverse camera works regardless of whether I’m using the standard PCM mode or if I’ve pressed INFO and gone into the Unichip unit mode. Wireless Appleplay functionality seems to work without a hitch. Sound quality and volume are identical to that coming from the standard PCM. I have no idea about Android functionality as I don’t own an Android phone.

Another thing that’s really nice is the regular firmware upgrades. They seem to come on a monthly basis, and aren’t just bug fixes but additional functionality. Eg. The dynamic steering lines and reverse sensor integration was an upgrade in Feb 20. It seems the people behind the unit are committed to product development in the future. Upgrades are simple and take about 5 minutes. They come from the NM website.

Overall I would thoroughly recommend this unit I purchased from NM without hesitation. You might pay a few dollars more than for others that are available, but from my perspective it has been definitely worth it for the ease of install, before and after-sales service, and performance of the product.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice, i'm about to pull the trigger and can't quite which brand/unit i want to try. Sounds like Unitech is a good way to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts