Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i visited a Porsche dealer today to finally drive a manual Cayman. (I drove a PDK CGTS and BGTS at the Porsche World Roadshow a few weeks ago, and I've struggled finding a manual to actually drive.) My plan was to order a CGTS sometime next year and do European delivery in Sept/Oct of 2015. The SA I met with today was "reasonably" certain there would not be a 2016 CGTS. He said GTS are typically produced one year, usually as the model was ready to undergo a major change the following year.

Thoughts on this? Anyone know with certainty if the CGTS will continue as a 2016 model or not? Otherwise, how about some speculation? :)

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
GTS models are, traditionally, a one year model to get some last year sales before the face lift. Since a 981.2 is predicted to come out in MY16, your dealer might be right.

HOWEVER, they just released a Cayenne GTS in the FIRST year of production so who knows ... I would tend to agree with your dealer for the sports cars.

·
Registered
119 Posts
But dont forget, the new Boxster/Cayman in 2016 will have 4 cylinder turbo engines.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
FWIW, when I spoke with my dealer earlier this week, he didn't say that there would not be one next year, but did say he didn't get any more allocations after the ones they already received this year.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Whoa!! Is this for real? I honestly had no idea!! I thought that, from now on, there were just going to be 3 trim levels. I had no idea this was a special one-year deal.

That's pretty cool in my books. :D I mean... I didn't plan for this at all, but the bits and pieces certainly fell into place in a nice way. :D

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I agree. Knowing that I have a model with limited production is cool. Had mine about 2 months now and it keeps getting better and better. Only one problem, WINTER!!!!

Whoa!! Is this for real? I honestly had no idea!! I thought that, from now on, there were just going to be 3 trim levels. I had no idea this was a special one-year deal.

That's pretty cool in my books. :D I mean... I didn't plan for this at all, but the bits and pieces certainly fell into place in a nice way. :D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
981 is from 2012 and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets redesigned in 2016 model year. My guess is no more NA V6 and its going to be a V4 turbo that produces more power/more gas efficient. You'll see the redesign for a year in EU first, means if its going to come out, they're going to announce fall/winter next year latest.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
981 is from 2012 and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets redesigned in 2016 model year. My guess is no more NA V6 and its going to be a V4 turbo that produces more power/more gas efficient. You'll see the redesign for a year in EU first, means if its going to come out, they're going to announce fall/winter next year latest.
F6 and F4, is probably what you meant to say :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
I don't know... All I have been reading about these says that the GTS was not intended to be a limited run, but a regular trim level.

I guess if the 981 is getting a facelift for 2016 then all bets are off...

But, I didn't think the GTS was going to be limited to just this year. This could just be PR hype to drum up sales for this year's models. "Quick, get em now before they're all gone... just kidding" ;)

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I don't know... All I have been reading about these says that the GTS was not intended to be a limited run, but a regular trim level.
All indications are that 2016 will see the 981.2 so as far as the 981.1 goes, the GTS would be a one-year deal. When you talk about a limited run though, I think of it in terms of production numbers. I don't think there's ever been any indication that they were restricting it in any way. It's not as if you had to jump on it as soon as they were announced in order to make sure you got one. I think they're making as many as they think they can sell and not going for any sort of exclusivity.

So you want a 2015 GTS, you shouldn't have any trouble at all getting one. If you want a 2016 though... well... who knows what will be available.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
To be clear ... "Usually" GTS models are parts bin specials. Take few bits and pieces from the S model and create a new trim level above the S but below the Turbo. It's mostly cosmetic. Let's be realistic here. There is nothing novel in either the 981GTS or 991GTS. There never is. It's slotted between the "S" and the "Turbo" for all models. If I understand the 981GTS its mostly software. For the 991GTS it is the X51 option which includes polished heads/different cam for more HP at the top end, and software. The literature is interesting because if you read it, its clear the left headroom in the 991S to accommodate the extra power.

It is NOT a limited production run. I highly doubt that. My guess is that they would sell as many as they can build. A "limited production run" might be for something like homologation for a race car. For example, FIA required Porsche to build at least 200 street legal 959s in order to race the car.

I mentioned the Cayenne GTS because that came out NOW. I do not know why. Some people are expecting Macan GTS model soon, before the last year of the cycle. No idea if that will happen or a Macan Turbo S will be released first. Perhaps the SUVs are different.

Since its pretty well known and accepted that the 981.2 WILL be turbo 4 bangers, I would say the 981GTS models might be something to hang onto as the last of the flat 6 engines. But that is an opinion.:)

·
Noob
857 Posts
If this is true, my '14 CS will be my last Porsche. Can't imagine EVER paying 80K+ for a measly 4 cylinders regardless of speed.
What if you get an electric component added to it like the 918?
:O

Reactions: payne295171

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
If this is true, my '14 CS will be my last Porsche. Can't imagine EVER paying 80K+ for a measly 4 cylinders regardless of speed.
For what it's worth, my wife has a '13 328 which is a twin turbo 4 banger. The motor is FANTASTIC. Maybe not all that romantic....but I am very much looking forward to test driving a Cayman with a turbo 4 banger in it. While I may have a few HP on her, I'd gladly take the torque from the turbo + PDK. Awesome combo.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Let's be realistic here. There is nothing novel in either the 981GTS or 991GTS. There never is.
I'm not really sure what you're getting at with this. Are you saying there's no reason to have it over an S? Because there ARE plenty of reasons. It has a bunch of little differences all over to differentiate it. Whether you like them better or not is subjective, but there ARE a bunch of them. From the different bumpers to the alcantara interior to the center radiators to the sound symposers, there's a bunch of little things that make them different. There's even different trim choices.

So it's not nothing. It's not just a parts bin special. It's more like a proper sending-off before they bring out the new model. It's not different enough that I'd get rid of an S to get one, but it's different enough that I'm happy to be getting one over an S.

Reactions: SteveInNJ

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I'm not really sure what you're getting at with this. Are you saying there's no reason to have it over an S?
Look at each of the lines of cars

Base < S < Turbo

For each of these, you are talking significant difference (i.e., different engines)

Now look at S/GTS and Turbo/Turbo S not significant differences. Not different engines. Not the same thing

Nowhere did I say there is no reason not to by a GTS model. I said it was a parts bin special. Change some cosmetic bits. If that is important to you, go for it. Package them up, charge a cheaper price, give it a minor HP bump, and you are good to go. This is how you generate sales in the last year of a cycle (e.g., 997.2GTS). No one is going to complain about getting parts cheaper if packaged together if they are the parts you want. :) So think about this. Why would anyone want to buy a 2015 Cayman knowing that the 2016 Cayman will look different, have more HP? How do you generate sales?

But it is not the same as the jump from S to Turbo models in any of the models. Not even close. So, no, there is nothing novel here. You don't get a different engine. You don't get some radically different suspension technology, etc. And its NOT a new model. It's a "facelift". A new model is going from 986 to 987 to 981 or going from 996 to 997 to 991. Those are different models. Going from 981.1 to 981.2 is a facelift, usually a tiny bit more HP, maybe some new minor looks as things always change. If they go to new engines (4 bangers) then maybe they will call it a new model. Who knows?

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
As a potential future owner of a Porsche 981 Boxster or Cayman (keep changing my mind between them) I'm wondering what the thought of new 4-cylinder variants will do to the prices of the existing used ones. I've always assumed I would end up purchasing a used model and now I'm wondering what this will do to prices next summer?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts