Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Feb Build Cayman 07S's 3 year lease expires in April. I've been told that due to cut back production at Porsche, the closest build date to that that is even an option is late February w/ a completion in early March. I'm assuming that this means that the vehicle would arrive in Los Angeles by late April/early May.

My leasing company won't extend my lease for a month so I'd appreciate any advice on options. I'd like to be driving a "nice" vehicle during this period and hopefully not need to drop a ton of money to do so.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Don't know about this one, but I think your timeframe is off a bit from completion to delivery. Depending on a few circumstances it should not take 6 or more weeks to be in your hands after completion,.....more like 2-4 I would think. Just depends what "cycle" you are in with the ships that carry them over here.

Actually if you order now I think you would be doing really well matching up your lease ending and your new one being delivered. If they are off a bit, rent something cheap for a week or two,....it will remind you how fine a piece of Porsche machinery is!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know about this one, but I think your timeframe is off a bit from completion to delivery. Depending on a few circumstances it should not take 6 or more weeks to be in your hands after completion,.....more like 2-4 I would think. Just depends what "cycle" you are in with the ships that carry them over here.

Actually if you order now I think you would be doing really well matching up your lease ending and your new one being delivered. If they are off a bit, rent something cheap for a week or two,....it will remind you how fine a piece of Porsche machinery is!
I could be wrong, but I think I got a Feb 1 build date for my 07 and I believe that I ended up taking delivery ~April 1. The dealer is telling me that if the car is build @ the end of Feb that I'd be similarly looking at the end of April.

I wouldn't gripe so much about renting a "whatever" for a week, but a month is a bit rough :(

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
**IF** your time frame is correct and you do not receive your new car in time, rent something you like and think of it as an extended test drive.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
My Feb Build Cayman 07S's 3 year lease expires in April. I've been told that due to cut back production at Porsche, the closest build date to that that is even an option is late February w/ a completion in early March. I'm assuming that this means that the vehicle would arrive in Los Angeles by late April/early May.

My leasing company won't extend my lease for a month so I'd appreciate any advice on options. I'd like to be driving a "nice" vehicle during this period and hopefully not need to drop a ton of money to do so.
Rent something cheap. It's a breath of fresh air if all you drive is nice, German cars. I've just been on two trips and rented two different Hyundais. Both were impressive for their vehicle class. The Hyundai Accent I just had was the lowest spec car I've driven in years. CRANK windows and MANUAL door locks. It came with a XM radio and I rented a GPS for it. Th

The engine was about what you'd expect, but the suspension was a complete and pleasant surprise. Perfectly damped, stuck like glue on off-ramps and really was fun to toss around. This might be the lowest priced car available in the US. I picked it up in Vegas and drove it over the mountains to Ontario. No cruise control either, so it was both hands on the wheel, active driving the whole way. Long time since I've needed to do that.

Life is presenting you an opportunity to sample something outside your comfort zone for a while. Enjoy this no matter what you rent....use a different yardstick than you would for choosing for a longer term lease. You're not going to have "ownership" of this vehicle, so just get a taste of something. Hey, just rent by the week and change cars every week. How fun would that be?

I'll tell you, even US cars have come quite a ways, well, a lot of them, anyway. Some are purposly left in the dark ages because that's what some older drivers still want.

When the economy was in panic mode earlier this year, I went to a Cadillac dealer to sample an AWD Catera. It was the equal of my Audi A6, which I love, but the Catera still had that Sinatra thing going on...Too glitzy, not my cup of tea. I felt the quality of materials was good and the car's dynamics were excellent.

It's possible to rent Euro cars in LA, but it's very expensive. Find out why Camry and Accord are so popular? Rent a Chevy Malibu because it's the car that is making sales for Chevy now? (I keep wanting to do this, but they're never available). Too bad the new Buick Regal isn't out yet. I think it's going to be a very nice and nice-looking, car.

Or... just go pot luck and take what's offered. It's fun roughing it now and then.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
heheh get a old used whatever, so long as it runs. Don't tell anybody you got a new Porsche coming. Probably would be cheaper to buy a real beater than rent anything for that long, and the looks on their faces when they see you chug up in a falling apart beater as you "new" car will be priceless.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
^I like that idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts