Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my Cayman S I thought not to drive it in the rain. I use my other car as a runabout, but I thought sooner or later the croc will see water. Anyhow it's been just over 3 months and I've managed to keep it dry (except washing it) am I missing anything insofar as driving experience in the wet? took a peek under the engine yesterday and still looks new!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You're missing the fun of turning on your windshield wipers and watching that beautiful wax job disappear under a layer of dirt. Later you will experience washing the car and again finding that waxed surface. And then......It's sort of the like the movie Groundhog Day.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is fitted with LSD so I guess I'm missing out on a bit of wet weather fun. The novelty will probably wear off in time.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
It rains a t a moments notice here. This is one of the better handling cars in the rain I have ever driven. You have to press the loud pedal gently when its raining, and you have to keep from going to hot in the turns; Its a different ball game. It is still a lot of fun.

Be specially carefull when you change from asphalt to concrete.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been driving my Cayman in Chicago year-round. Cayman is my daily driver and I drove it just fine when we had 10 inches of snow. With Blizzaks on, it drives just as good as my wife's Acura MDX. You won't notice any difference in drivability with a bit of rain...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've been driving my Cayman in Chicago year-round. Cayman is my daily driver and I drove it just fine when we had 10 inches of snow. With Blizzaks on, it drives just as good as my wife's Acura MDX. You won't notice any difference in drivability with a bit of rain...
I'm willing to bet that pretty behind will snap around much more quickly in the rain if you give it a try;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
No offense, but its a Cayman! its a daily driver..... It drives great in the rain and is perfectly fine running around the city or the highway in a complete rainstorm

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
my cayman is my daily driver and i must say that the rain hasn't damaged it nor has it diminished my driving enjoyment. just drive it!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a Boxster S and hate to put the top up (other than for DE) and I must admit I have driven it in the rain, although it rarely leaves the garage if it is raining.

·
Registered
245 Posts
When I bought my Cayman S I thought not to drive it in the rain. I use my other car as a runabout, but I thought sooner or later the croc will see water. Anyhow it's been just over 3 months and I've managed to keep it dry (except washing it) am I missing anything insofar as driving experience in the wet? took a peek under the engine yesterday and still looks new!
All you're doing is creating a great car for the next owner! You paid the big price for it, it's depreciating every day, drive it!

·
Registered
159 Posts
On the track during DE, in the Blue group, no one can touch me in the rain. The car communicates unbelievably in the wet.

·
Registered
317 Posts
On the track during DE, in the Blue group, no one can touch me in the rain. The car communicates unbelievably in the wet.
You got that right :)

I had a bad accident in the rain several years ago and it made me much more cautious in the rain. Did a DE in the rain and I almost went home before I gave it a try. I finally said screw it, just do it. I ended having a blast. It is amazing how easy it is to feel even the slightest bit of under or oversteer. Just lift ever so slightly (assuming you are smooooooth) and she gets right back on line. :banana:

Then, on the highway home I was also amazed at how stable the car is when it hits a puddle with only one side at highway speeds. Barely a nudge.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Goodness No! The car will self-destruct if you get it wet!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Goodness NO! The car will self-destruct if you get it wet.:hilarious:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey Capercat why o why did you buy a Porsche if you aren't going to drive it? Sure seems odd to me. I hope you didn't buy it to look at it. They are made to drive.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hey Capercat why o why did you buy a Porsche if you aren't going to drive it? Sure seems odd to me. I hope you didn't buy it to look at it. They are made to drive.
Because this is better for a crappy day! I call it my winter and rainy day Porsche. WTF even has a boxer motor with 305 ponies!

Just my:2cents:

Enjoy! Strong letter to follow!:taunt:

Sorry ,I'm not Caper, but I couldn't resist;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
I too didn't drive my Cayman in the rain, but has since become my only car. Because it rains sometimes, and I have no choice.... well you get it.

Someday I will have the Cayman as the beater car and a future Cayman or....GT3 as a sunny trackday car! I just need to figure out those pesky winning lotto #'s first..:hilarious:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts