Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some aftermarket LEDs for the frunck, glove box, and footwells. But when I went to install the footwell lights, I realized my car does not have them. Was this some weird oversight by Porsche, or did they decide that us GTS owners did not need the footwell lights? I certainly never read about such a deletion when I was ordering my car. I see what appear to be openings in the trim in the footwell area, but no wiring. Do I have any options available to add the lights?

·
Registered
381 Posts
AFAIK, the only way to get footwell lights on the GTS is with the "light design package". That package is part of the Premium Package Plus, that comes with the 18-way seats. The premium package plus adds the Porsche Entry & Drive and light design packages for a total of $1995. The 18W seats with the plain old premium package goes for $995. It wasn't worth an additional $1K to me to have the lights that virtually every other car has at no additional cost; plus I prefer to use a key.

·
Registered
734 Posts
There was a thread a few months back stating that 2015 model Caymans no longer come with footwell lights or rear cargo nets as standard equipment

·
Registered
299 Posts
There was a thread a few months back stating that 2015 model Caymans no longer come with footwell lights or rear cargo nets as standard equipment
Yes, This is exactly right.

Base, S, and GTS.

But I'm surprised you cannot add bulbs like the OP wanted to do.
Does that mean there are not even any receptacles there for bulbs? Not even any wiring to add them afterwards?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I haven't seen any receptacles for footwell lighting. I guess someone with a 2014 would know where its located, but I don't even know where to look.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
This is the first I'm hearing about this. Guess I missed where it was mentioned earlier. I'm assuming it's the same on the Boxster.

I'm just annoyed at how the options were packaged. I would have ordered LDP if it were a standalone option but specifically didn't want the E&D. This was the last real decision I had to make on my config. So far as I knew though, the lights were still there but weren't LED's.

Ah well. I usually wear crappy shoes anyway. Nobody needs them lit up. :D

Reactions: Por Sha

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't seen any receptacles for footwell lighting. I guess someone with a 2014 would know where its located, but I don't even know where to look.
Look in the trim that is right next to the center console, and above the footwell area. On the drivers side, there is a cutout for a light assembly right above where your shin would be with your right foot on the gas pedal

How's about using the wireless led lights? You can stick it under the Frunk, press to turn it on if you need to see at night? It's easily removed too.
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Pro...sr=8-1&keywords=Lumen+wireless+led+puck+light
No, the GTS has a glove box light, trunk light and frunk light, all of which can be converted to LED. Just no footwell lights.

This is the first I'm hearing about this. Guess I missed where it was mentioned earlier. I'm assuming it's the same on the Boxster.

I'm just annoyed at how the options were packaged. I would have ordered LDP if it were a standalone option but specifically didn't want the E&D. This was the last real decision I had to make on my config. So far as I knew though, the lights were still there but weren't LED's.

Ah well. I usually wear crappy shoes anyway. Nobody needs them lit up. :D
WW--your Boxster is pretty much just like mine, so "NO FOOTWELL LIGHTS FOR YOU!" (I assume they have Seinfeld in the Great White North).

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I had footwell lighting on my 2013; don't on my 2015. Honestly forgot about this deletion until just now. I think I actually prefer the footwells NOT lit. I wouldn't mind some accent lighting in the door handles, etc though. Mercedes does accent lighting right.

Reactions: payne295171

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Correct. Light Design Package only available as part of the Premium Package Plus. I also did not want Entry & Drive so avoided the extra $1000 cost of the option on my GTS. Aside from losing footwell lights, you also lose lighted vanity mirrors. Not so bad for me, but a hit on Wife Acceptance Factor for many, I presume.

Reactions: Grand-Cayman

·
Registered
332 Posts
I haven't noticed any non-LED lights in my GTS yet. I could have sworn that the truck was LED. B/c I was planning on the LED sun coast package, but it might not be needed.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Correct. Light Design Package only available as part of the Premium Package Plus. I also did not want Entry & Drive so avoided the extra $1000 cost of the option on my GTS. Aside from losing footwell lights, you also lose lighted vanity mirrors. Not so bad for me, but a hit on Wife Acceptance Factor for many, I presume.
The vanity mirror lights have always been absent on cars without LDP. People have been complaining about this since before I got here. :) My understanding though was that this was the only difference. I never knew about the foot well lights until this thread.

Guess they saved a few bucks. Maybe they weren't hitting their profit margin targets? :D

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't noticed any non-LED lights in my GTS yet. I could have sworn that the truck was LED. B/c I was planning on the LED sun coast package, but it might not be needed.
With the exception of the map lights, they are all non-LED: frunck, trunk, glove box, and the non-existent footwell lights.

I am wondering if we can add them. Maybe the wiring is there, but just requires the light assembly?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Unlike the Boxster, the Cayman trunk lighting is LED. There's rear interior lighting on the c-pillars that are LED also. Frunk and glovebox are the only non-LED. I'll prob change them out soon.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check this out--the Porsche spec sheet of standard features indicates that footwell lighting is included:

Capture.JPG

I think Stuttgart owes me some lights!

·
Registered
332 Posts
The vanity mirror lights have always been absent on cars without LDP. People have been complaining about this since before I got here. :) My understanding though was that this was the only difference. I never knew about the foot well lights until this thread.

Guess they saved a few bucks. Maybe they weren't hitting their profit margin targets? :D
Porsche should offer LED makeup mirrors so I have gift for my girlfriend. (The first thing she noticed was a vanity mirror) lol

1 - 20 of 60 Posts