Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Absolutely no regrets...

I've done everything to fill the void of missing the 991 GT3 allocation and accept the 991 turbo instead but failed. And what got things worse, is that by April I'd become comfortable to afford a 991 turbo S in cash instead of the turbo. And since I can't (and I don't want to) modify the car, I kept regretting not getting the S.

For a week I kept struggling with my decision. And this morning I hesitantly called my dealer asking if it's possible to cancel my 991 turbo order and hold the deposit (since it's not refundable) for a turbo S in April. To my surprise he agreed even to refund it with a penalty... and that was it. I cancelled the order.

I know for sure my 991 turbo order was a rebound... But I made up my mind now, I'll hold on till I find the right toy for me. If I need to play it wise, I may buy a used Italian Stallion or Bull till the next 911 turbo generation comes out with 918 hybrid technology. I don't know, it's too far from here to decide.

One thing for sure, my mind and heart both agree with my decision.

Best wishes to all of you 986/987/981 & 911 owners and waiters.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Turbo S. Good call. Particularly in Lime Gold with Black Luxor bicolour interior. :hilarious:

Or you could go Rhodium I guess. Stay clear of those boring colours. :hilarious:

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Sounds like you are secretly wanting a GT4! :)

Absolutely no regrets...

I've done everything to fill the void of missing the 991 GT3 allocation and accept the 991 turbo instead but failed. And what got things worse, is that by April I'd become comfortable to afford a 991 turbo S in cash instead of the turbo. And since I can't (and I don't want to) modify the car, I kept regretting not getting the S.

For a week I kept struggling with my decision. And this morning I hesitantly called my dealer asking if it's possible to cancel my 991 turbo order and hold the deposit (since it's not refundable) for a turbo S in April. To my surprise he agreed even to refund it with a penalty... and that was it. I cancelled the order.

I know for sure my 991 turbo order was a rebound... But I made up my mind now, I'll hold on till I find the right toy for me. If I need to play it wise, I may buy a used Italian Stallion or Bull till the next 911 turbo generation comes out with 918 hybrid technology. I don't know, it's too far from here to decide.

One thing for sure, my mind and heart both agree with my decision.

Best wishes to all of you 986/987/981 & 911 owners and waiters.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
buy what makes you happy and even if you have to wait for the right one.
I saw a brand new 991 GT3 today and it put a smile on my face knowing what it is.

why not consider a 997 GT3 to fill the gap in the mean time?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I admire you for making your decision before you purchased the car. Me, I figured out that I really didn't want a 911 Turbo AFTER I had already purchased one. Thankfully it was a CPO car so my monetary loss was much less than it could have been if the car was new.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand the confusion. But with no regrets, I sum it up that all is good. It wasn’t a decision against my wish. The story has two sides, a passionate side related to the car, and a rational side related to my son who’s now 13 years old.

I’ll start with the rational side since it is a short one. With the uncertainty ongoing in the Middle East I decided to secure his future first in the coming two years then play it wild with my life and cars afterwards… today I realized I am not as crazy as I thought ;) Could I afford the 991 turbo on the way? Thank God, yes I could but on installments instead of cash. And this took me to the passionate side which I couldn’t satisfy or justify as follows:

1) The 991 GT3, I couldn’t get my mind off it. Yes, the turbo is a benchmark but the GT3 is an icon despite all its impracticality and shortcoming in straight line vs the turbo. Yesterday I was going through the pictures I took at Dubai 2013 Autoshow it hit me that I didn’t stop looking at the GT3 for 30 minutes while I didn’t spend more than 3 minutes looking at the turbo.
2) The fact that it was a turbo not an S, was disturbing me especially after the ability of affording it in few months.
3) The fact that it was a 4WD meant no happy tails for me. Yes I sound childish but we are children in our ways.
4) The fact that it was a GT in the end, kept me questioning my decision since I didn’t enjoy driving the Carrera S.
5) The main concern that hit me in the guts was after looking at the 996, 997 and 991 noticing the model never changed except with minor body cosmetics which got me to believe the 9xx to follow in 2017/2018 could be a complete model change in terms of looks and technology. By then my son will up for university. I won’t be able to justify to myself buying a top of the line expensive toy after another.

Taking each point above alone did not sound reasonable to cancel my order at first but putting all the pieces together made sense to me. So what I am saying is I still love the 981, GT3 and turbo non-S but I don't want to risk a big chunk of money until Porsche sets its next trend. I’ll take the back seat for a while… probably for two years before making a big move. Meanwhile I might play it safe with something used with less resale loss. There is a used 981 Boxster S tempting me in the showroom… but it is not yellow ;)

Until an oil rig shoots up out of my family’s garden to secure my son’s future or the next 9xx generation gets released, whichever comes first, there will be no new toy for me. I’ll stay on P9 drooling on your toys… there’s a Black Iris due today or tomorrow, right Patrick? And the GT4 release to follow. Can’t miss those :)

سبحان الله العظيم وبحمده
Praising God, life is good. Stay blessed... all of you.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good luck and keep posting!
Not sure what you have owned or driven in the past, but at this point I know several people that either owned heavily optioned 991S or Turbo cars or were shopping for them, that ended up cancelling and buying a 981 base or S with a whole lot less options. The GT3 at least has a ton of character. The old GT3 even more so. The other 991 cars just seem to sterile.

I would go find a nice base 981 with sport exhaust and drive the hell out of it...

Reactions: omidoo250

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Seriously, shopping $200K cars and the dealer is going to penalize your deposit? That's ridiculous, especially when you told them that they can keep it while you keep shopping. Just stating the word 'penalty' in this scenario is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My apologies in advance for not knowing the whole story - my friend just got his GT3 - he ordered it last year.

I agree with Steve ^^ - redonkulous.

too bad you couldn't buy the car from here in the states and ship over. i am friend with the owner of a dealership down in socal.

the good news - you are actually able to buy a car like that.

most will never ever be able to.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
1) The 991 GT3, I couldn’t get my mind off it.

5) The main concern that hit me in the guts was after looking at the 996, 997 and 991 noticing the model never changed except with minor body cosmetics which got me to believe the 9xx to follow in 2017/2018 could be a complete model change in terms of looks and technology.
Wait. This isn't true. There are big differences between the 997 and 991. Start by reading porsche engineering. Customer Magazine - Press - Home - Porsche Engineering isssue 1/2012.

See here AUSmotive.com » Porsche 911 Carrera S cuts Nürburgring time

The lowly S is faster around the ring than the vaunted 997TT or GT3. Nordschleife lap records - FastestLaps.com And that is with 80 less HP.

The 997S with 385HP was 7:50. How do you gain 22 seconds with a 15 HP gain? In other words, there is more going on than meets the eye so there is far more going on inside than "minor body cosmetics".

As to a GT3, well you gotta get what you want. Find a GT3RS allocation?

As to 2017 models, that is just the 991.2 All models turbo except for GT3. Minor HP bumps across the board. Everything looks the same but minor cosmetic grille stuff. You would need to wait until 2019 for the real next update and then everything could change. Since Porsche is designing the basic sports car package for all of VAG, nobody knows what will come out. Maybe the 911 will disappear. Maybe the 960 will take over, nobody knows. I would not hold my breath expecting great changes with the 991.2. Beyond that, nobody knows. Sounds to me you are a candidate for a GT3RS.

edit. Or maybe a candidate for a 960. Timing would be good. 458 Italia pricing. mid-engined superseding the 911 line. You could give a report on it ;)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
If you want a cheap fun toy, maybe see if you can find a 914 with a 6 conversion. Its not a GT!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Turbo S. Good call. Particularly in Lime Gold with Black Luxor bicolour interior. :hilarious:

Or you could go Rhodium I guess. Stay clear of those boring colours. :hilarious:
I love your high spirits, Lime Gold owners... I guess you need it with high self esteem to opt for such color ;)

Sounds like you are secretly wanting a GT4! :)
Very tempted indeed. Therefore, I'm locking the capital immediately in an investment to keep my hands away from any liquidity.

I know several people that either owned heavily optioned 991S or Turbo cars or were shopping for them, that ended up cancelling and buying a 981 base or S with a whole lot less options.
When I first read your comment, I said to myself who's in his right mind would do this. Then I took a deep breath realizing I just did. Can't believe there are plenty who'd do that though. It does sound very crazy to me still.

Seriously, shopping $200K cars and the dealer is going to penalize your deposit? That's ridiculous, especially when you told them that they can keep it while you keep shopping. Just stating the word 'penalty' in this scenario is ridiculous.
Down payments here are a set figure equals to 14k USD for all types of Porsche (except the 918). And it's NOT refundable. To be honest I felt ashamed for canceling the order, therefore I offered them to keep the money for future order.

Wait. This isn't true. There are big differences between the 997 and 991.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm not talking about technology advancements or performance. Look at 911 generations body styling from this perspective:
911 from 1963-1977
911 from 1978-1998
911 from 1998-2017

If you go back, you'll see the 911 actually had three body styles only as per my breakdown above. The 996 & 997 are very similar except for the egg-shaped headlights. And the 997 & 991 are even more identical, unless you're a Porsche fanatic, they both look the same.

As to a GT3, well you gotta get what you want. Find a GT3RS allocation?
I wish... They have double the number of allocations on waiting list, all of them are current 918, GT3/2, RS and turbo owners. So they're serious buyers.

As to 2017 models, that is just the 991.2 All models turbo except for GT3. Minor HP bumps across the board. Everything looks the same but minor cosmetic grille stuff. You would need to wait until 2019 for the real next update and then everything could change. Since Porsche is designing the basic sports car package for all of VAG, nobody knows what will come out. Maybe the 911 will disappear. Maybe the 960 will take over, nobody knows. I would not hold my breath expecting great changes with the 991.2.
Sorry again, I was referring to the next 9xx generation not the 991.2 mid-cycle facelift. I believe they'll give the 911 a completely new body shape with hybrid turbo combo from the 918.

Or maybe a candidate for a 960.
Amen... If it looked anything like the 918 for $250k I'd be sleeping on a prayer matt in front of the dealer's showroom like iPhone fans do in front of Apple Stores.

If you want a cheap fun toy, maybe see if you can find a 914 with a 6 conversion. Its not a GT!
I'd love to have a slant nose even if it was not original. But a used toy should wait for a year or two. By then if all goes well with the investment everything is game.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Losing a deposit for some piece of mind might be worth it but the Turbo S is waiting for you. Check out ferrarichat in the mean time.
I'm with tach. If I had that cash in hand I'd be looking at a lightly used 458 or Scuderia, possibly a McLaren 12c.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
One day, I hope to have similar problems :). I've been waiting to buy a Porsche for about 14 years now. A Cayman for about 7. I guess my point is the whole "absence makes the heart grow fonder" will apply to you as well. Once you miss having a Porsche, you'll probably be back strong and hard in pursuit of GT4 :).

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm with tach. If I had that cash in hand I'd be looking at a lightly used 458 or Scuderia, possibly a McLaren 12c.
Used 458 Italia is now hovering at 132k USD. McLaren ET-Go-Home MP4-12c is even sold for less. If you live in Dubai you can enjoy these cars for such low prices. The McLaren doesn't apeal to me. The 458 is tempting but I did set a plan that pushed it away a year from now, hoping by then I'd get the Spyder at that price once the 408T Spyder hits the showrooms.

One day, I hope to have similar problems :).
Be careful what you wish for, really. The ability to afford a 981 brings peace of mind since there are no better options at such price. The ability to afford a more expensive car opens a can of worms for larger number of choices. Few years back, you'd see how often I wrote I'd pick a 911 turbo in a heartbeat if I could afford it, and how many nights I said I'd buy a 458 Italia if I could buy one. But when the time comes, you get lost between choices and get very responsible throwing such ridiculous amounts on a car.

Only time will tell...

Reactions: Mike R.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts