Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2006 Cayman S has developed a noise from the rear, seems to be from inside the car

it happens most on uneven roads and seems to be worse at higher speeds, it sounds like a trim type noise rather than the thud people talk of with the hatch

really struggling to pin it down, any ideas ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply

yes it does sound sort of a plastic type noise

car has had major service since noise started so if suspension I hope they would have picked it up

·
Registered
252 Posts
Does it come from behind the driver seat and is sort of a clicking noise? There have been many threads/complaints on this site about that one. My '07 Cayman just passed 17,000 miles is no different. It will go for an hour quietly, then start, then the notorious trunk thunk. When I had the car in for a service in January, I asked the dealer to check it. Their story, "Can't hear a thing." On the 34 mile drive home the click was almost non-stop.

While there are many here who say their vehicles are noise free, there are just as many who have the same or similar noises. The long and short is, even though these cars are "precision" and expensive instruments, they put their pants on one leg at a time like us. You have to take the good with the bad.

Today was a glorious day in PA. She creaked and thunked, but, I had the window down, sports chrono on and she went like stink and sounded sweet.;)

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I have the same problem recently that it is becoming more regular than before. It feels like as if you have something rattling in the rear compartment (there is one small compartment behind each seat). But both are empty.

I don't hear it on every drive... but once it goes on it stays on all through the drive!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help folks

I did a little experimenting today

I put a couple of boxes in the back so that the hatch had to be pressed down crushing them a little

this stopped the noise

does this suggest the problem is with the hatch ?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Will take a process of elimination. On mine there have been two sources of rear noise, both very minor. First is the rear shade, the end of the arms that pull the cloth tight hit the metallic trim piece, a piece of felt glued to the bottom of each arm cured this. The second is a trim noise from the joint of the trim pieces on the side of the hatch opening (almost straight above the shock tower) again a piece of felt tucked in between the joint cured this. I have to say my car is over two years old and still as tight as when I bought it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's very interesting, difficult to envisage at moment ( its very late here ) but will have a look in morning at your suggestions, thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
There are two rubber bungs in each corner of the tailgate. They are threaded and very easy to adjust. I simply unscrewed mine approx. quarter turn to increase the contact pressure and no more rattles... :)

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Today I removed the rear shade/curtain and the noise disappeared. I have to find out now what needs to be done to keep the shade/curtain without noise!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 06 Cayman S and had the same high pitched rattle from behind me, worse when driving over uneven roads. Turned out to be the rear hatch window brake light than had come loose. Stuck some double sided tape between it and its attachment and now I'm enjoying the blissful silence (excluding road noise and welcome engine sounds). :hilarious:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have heard the same noise in the rear hatch recently. Thank you all for posting your findings.:cheers:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are two rubber bungs in each corner of the tailgate. They are threaded and very easy to adjust. I simply unscrewed mine approx. quarter turn to increase the contact pressure and no more rattles... :)
I looked at those and it looks like they are fully screwed down

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mine are both unscrewed already to the point that a quarter turn causes them to come off the hatch. :(

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
My shade rattled but stopped??
Actually, I re-installed it the very next day and the rattle completely disappeared! Plus, I couldn't find anything it can touch to cause a rattle. Nevertheless, the sound is gone for now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts