Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired 2014 Cayman S 10 days ago. I can't wait for spring so already driving daily in winter. Temp is 30-40F around here.

While getting out of garage, pressing the brake pedal causes noise that sounds like cable is rubbing against dry hard surface (as best as I can describe). There is also break squeal.

Other noise is when I turn the steering wheel which sounds like coming from the steering rack (or tires?).

Are Caymans noisy in cold weather or is it my car?
thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Temporary surface-rust on the brake rotors can cause the dry-rubbing-sound when first applying the brakes. Tire crabbing can happen at slow speeds while turning with the steering wheel near full stop (worse during the cold weather). Both conditions are normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Temporary surface-rust on the brake rotors can cause the dry-rubbing-sound when first applying the brakes. Tire crabbing can happen at slow speeds while turning with the steering wheel near full stop (worse during the cold weather). Both conditions are normal.
I don't see any rust the rotors. Yes, I have the "tire crabbing" at full steering lock and I learned that it happens at cold temps. But the steering noise I described above happens even with mild turn getting out of the garage. It sounds like rubbing metal which makes me worry.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't see any rust the rotors. Yes, I have the "tire crabbing" at full steering lock and I learned that it happens at cold temps. But the steering noise I described above happens even with mild turn getting out of the garage. It sounds like rubbing metal which makes me worry.

Does the brake noise go away shorty thereafter? If so, it's likely just something on the rotors.

Does it make the steering noise when turning the wheel while stationary or is it a rotational tire rubbing noise while moving, or both? Either way, it's not normal and should be looked at by a mechanic.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I get a little brake noise at the end of a stop sometimes. It goes away once I get a little heat into the pads from a hard stop. I am not so sure these pads like being really cold. Or maybe it's the fluid. Heck, I don't know.... I wouldn't worry much about brake squeal, though, except that it can be obnoxious. Of course, I can't hear the noises you are describing, so...hopefully it's nothing more serious.

I have no odd steering noises, though. I'd certainly get that looked at.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I have no odd steering noises, though. I'd certainly get that looked at.
Sorry. And for the OP, there is likely nothing wrong with your steering.

If you have summer tires on, and the temperature is less than 40 degrees, and you turn near the lock, the tires are skipping across the road surface. People use different terms for this like tire crabbing, scrubbing, skipping but its all the same. The tires are not meant to be driven in such low temperatures and they don't have much grip.

This comes up constantly with new owners. I ought to make it a sticky.

don't worry about it. You're good. I hear it all the time (yeah I tend to drive when I shouldn't when its around 40).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the brake noise go away shorty thereafter? If so, it's likely just something on the rotors.

Does it make the steering noise when turning the wheel while stationary or is it a rotational tire rubbing noise while moving, or both? Either way, it's not normal and should be looked at by a mechanic.
While I was parking in garage after work, everything is warmed up, I listened for noises and I didn't hear any noise during steering or at the stop. Could it be the cold brake pads and cold tires rubbing?

·
Registered
123 Posts
While I was parking in garage after work, everything is warmed up, I listened for noises and I didn't hear any noise during steering or at the stop. Could it be the cold brake pads and cold tires rubbing?

The only noise the tires should make at slow speed comes from the crabbing when you're near full steering lock. There should be no tire rubbing noise unless, possibly, something is jammed up in the wheel well (e.g. a branch, cardboard, etc.). The tire may have a broken belt, but that would likely reveal itself only at normal road speeds.

Of course, there could be some kind of mechanical damage (wheel, strut, hub, bearing, etc.). Have you recently run over or hit something in the road?

Cold brake pads normally do not make noise. Squealing can happen cold or hot. A small stone may be jammed between the brake pad and rotor. That would make a squealing or grinding noise, for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts