Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a non-PCM Cayman with the bluetooth option. I have my iPhone connected up and making and receiving calls works beautifully. The thing that's frustrating me is that I cannot figure out how to send contacts from the phone to the CDR30! I've even tried just connecting my laptop to the head unit, but I can't get the CDR30 to successfully register there.

Does anybody know of any iPhone apps that they know to work here (or any other way of getting contacts into this thing)?

·
Registered
160 Posts
You are addressing the exact issue of why I paid extra for the PCM 3.0 for my 2009...the bluetooth/iphone set up is really stripped down...mainly in terms of limiting the number of contacts (I believe its 100) and how the can be moved into your car...the PCM is automatic...as I recall you have to do the CDR 30 one by one by one....not enough time in the day was my decision....I think Porsche decided to really nail buyers if they truly wanted the same functionality as a Kia....real sweet of them

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it is pretty stripped down. It's bad enough that I had to pay to get bluetooth at all when it comes with the Kia Forte (and actually it's pretty nicely implemented).

I just didn't want nav or any of the other PCM stuff, and really I don't need that much in terms of phone. I'd just like to put my top 5 contacts in there, but I can't believe that Apple doesn't allow the iPhone to send contacts over bluetooth to do that. I don't even have an old phone I can use to do it this once.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This isn't an Apple/iPhone issue...but rather a conscious decision by Porsche...the limitation lies with Porsche not the phone...be it iPhone or another brand....I spend a long time trying to get around this...and was very unhappy at having to spend $3K on the PSM just to permit a Porsche to better handle phone calls..

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This isn't an Apple/iPhone issue...but rather a conscious decision by Porsche...the limitation lies with Porsche not the phone...be it iPhone or another brand....I spend a long time trying to get around this...and was very unhappy at having to spend $3K on the PSM just to permit a Porsche to better handle phone calls..
Er, depends what limitation you're talking about. The non-PCM is supposed to be able to receive contacts manually -- it's the only way of adding contacts in fact. The manual lists directions for how to do it, but the iPhone for some reason doesn't have the contact-sending feature like every other bluetooth phone out there. I was just hoping that there was some app you could download that knew how to do it.

It can't do the automatic phonebook syncing though, but I can live without that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
when I tried non PSM 3.0 version....all worked the same from iphone to smartphone....all sucked...I think its a Porsche issue

·
Registered
64 Posts
They're both to blame. The iPhone is missing the "push" vcard feature that the CDR-30 uses. Apple could add this in fairly easily but it's probably not on their radar. Please file feature requests with apple on it. The more they get bugged on something, the more likely they'll be to add it.

It looks like it's not possible for a 3rd party app to do it either. I spent some time today looking into it (I'm a Mac/iPhone developer) and API needed to do it is not public. So even if I can get something working, it won't pass review to get on the app store.

The CDR-30 sucks and is to be blamed too. The software in it is really a joke. It's ridiculous that Porsche is so behind on this. Not having it working with the iPhone is amazing. I'm willing to bet most Porsche drivers have either an iPhone or a Blackberry (at least in the states). So the system should be designed to work with those two systems. The phone book should be able to suck down all of the contacts at once (it's one at a time if the iPhone supported the current protocol) and you should be able to edit items in it.

I'd also like to see better iPod integration. There's no reason not to have the CDR-30 pull in the metadata to display on the unit and in the dash like it does for radio. Play/pause/next/last should also be supported and able to be controlled from the unit. I know that PCM 3.0 can do this, but an extra $3500 just to control an iPod is ridiculous if you don't want or need the nav and other things that PCM adds. They really need an ipod option that's in between what they offer in the CDR and PCM.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're both to blame. The iPhone is missing the "push" vcard feature that the CDR-30 uses. Apple could add this in fairly easily but it's probably not on their radar. Please file feature requests with apple on it. The more they get bugged on something, the more likely they'll be to add it.
That's exactly what I feared. I just filed a request with Apple -- hopefully they'll add the feature soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The 2008 G37s coupe I just sold was about as tech-loaded as it gets - distance cruise, pre-crash sensors, swivelling headlights, NAV, backup camera, hard drive jukebox, and more. My iPhone could not push contacts to it either. That is Apple's fault on the iPhone so I am not surprised that my new S can't do it either.

What I am shocked at: I can't find a way to manually enter a contact into the CDR30 at all! Has anyone figured this out?

I have other phones I could use to send contacts over, but in my G the contacts were tied to the phone. So you could not send over contacts from one phone and call them from another phone. You had to manually enter them while the phone you planned on using was paired up. When that phone was not in the car (or had BT off) those contracts vanished from the system - but return once the phone was back and BT was on. So I don't THINK sending them from another phone is going to help - unless I use that phone while in the S.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All I know is that iPhone has problems with Non-PCM CDR30 in terms of transfering contacts. Nokia works smoothly with CDR30 but too bad its phones suck. I am using Blackberry Bold 9700 which allows me to transfer 100 contacts to CDR30 after a few tries. One trick to transfer the contact to CDR30 is have those numbers you want to transfer stored on recent call memory list then transfer over to CDR30, otherwise CDR30 just received the first 100 contact in alphabetical order. It's brutal but works for BB 9700, not sure if it works for iPone3 and iPone 4.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Spent my Sunday afternoon wrestling with my CDR-30

Once I solved the problem of getting my phone numbers into the CDR-30 (it wasn't easy)... I found that my Verizon Android phone stores phone numbers in the contact list with dashes(hyphens) like this- 727-466-0000, yet the CDR-30 will only dial numbers on my contact list that are stored without dashes like this 7274660000.

My neighbor came over and downloaded my phone's contact list to an electronic v-card on my lap top, then removed the dashes by hand, before re-saving the list as an electronic v-card, and then sending that to my CDR-30. (v-card? I'm not sure I'm saying that right?)

Is there an easier way to do this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
On Android download "bluetooth file transfer" app. There is a box in there to remove hyphens and formatting. Took me 30 seconds to put my contacts in there. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
259 Posts
How Can I play music from my iPhone with a non-PCM cdr30?
USB cable to the "Universal" audio adapter, if someone paid the $300 for it. Otherwise you can't without getting a FM modulator or another AUX in. I'm in the process of trying to find a good and reasonable way of doing this as I'm not sure the car i'm getting has it as I never thought to ask.

I'm trying to find a way to get HD Radio as I've pretty much given up on streaming the same thing over and over from my phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts