Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody not have their car start instantly when the key is turned when cold? Usually the engine fires....now, when key is released it falls on its face. Even on second and third try. Give it a little gas pedal and it fires. Cold weather have anything to do with this? NOT a battery issue. Car is in garage and it rarely drops below 50* in there. Also, the rpms climb upon starting and then drop after 30 seconds or so.....now, it sits at 600.
Have a service appt. tomorrow morning to check for codes. No warning light on dash.
Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Looking at your avatar, it looks like you have a 2009? Cayman S? This means a DFI engine. I've heard that some of the 997.2 DFI engines with high pressure fuel pump issues will exhibit these symptoms.

I can't imagine the pump parts on the 987.2 DFI engine would be different.

Do a search on the 997 section on Rennlist.com for more details but get it to the dealer!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2.9 liter non PDI engine. Owner's manual says not to touch the accelerator pedal when starting. Gas cap is clicking, almost 3000 miles on the odo and premium, non-ethanol fuel in the tank. Hoping it isn't a serious issue, and they don't stick me in a GT3 loaner.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think Jackie Cooper Tulsa has ever HAD a GT3. Imagine they'll put me in an old Boxster. Not that there is anything wrong with that! From what I can glean from the threads and posts, it look like it may very well be a fuel pump going toes up.....but I don't think my car has a HPFP.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I maybe loosing my mind, but the 2.9 is NOT DFI. Has this been happening longer than a single tank of gas? I would fill up, and add some techron or similar gas additive, injector cleaner, water remover. Sounds to me like you just got some water in your gas.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Just got back from dealer. May have picked up some bad gas...but there was also a campaign on a remap of the ECU they performed. Technician says to run straight gasoline whenever possible and not to use any ethanol% fuel. I buy 100% gasoline 91 octane Phillips. Was forced to buy a 10% ethanol blend on the road.....and that may have been the start of my issue.
Someone says that Midgrade is better in the Winter.....I'd question that.

Anybody out there running ethanol blend and having starting issues in cold weather? Alcohol is hydroscopic....i.e. attracts water or condensation. We are lucky enough here in Oklahoma to be able to find 100% gasoline.....if you look hard.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Is the problem solved now?

Sounds to me like a fuel pressure valve. There is a one-way valve that is designed to keep fuel pressure levels up in the injector lines when the engine is not running,....this is to facilitate a quick restart after a shutdown.

If the valve is not working correctly fuel pressure in the injector lines is allowed to bleed down to a level where the engine will not start unless the fuel pump runs for an extended period of time,.....hence the engine will start after 2 or 3 attemps as the fuel pump then has enough time to build the required pressure for the injectors back again.

Common problem on older fuel injected Porsches, but can happen on newer also. Usually this valve is located very near the fuel pump or even attached to it. It usually can be replaced on its own, but if part of the fuel pump it may mean its replacement.

The RPM climb and fall you see on starting is normal.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem seems to be solved, but I merely fired it up at the dealership and drove home into the garage. I'm optimistic that all is cured.
BTW, I was very disappointed that I did not get a Porsche as a loaner car....they stuck me in a Nissan Altima that had 55K on the clock. Better than nothing, but also made me appreciate my lot in Life.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
In WA state I am forced to buy gas with 10% ethanol. Still no startup issues. I do add stuff to my gas from time to time. Either injector cleaers or octane boosters. I would say every 10 fillups.

In winter with lower intake temperatures many can get away with running 89 Octane instead of 92. I even considered doing that with my wife's 3.6 Passat. I DO NOT recommend that for our cars. Our cars are really designed to run on 93 Octane, and anything bellow that is a compromise. Our cars do not run well on 91 at all - maybe when its very cold.

I would love to find an octane booster that really works, short of filling up with a gallon of race gas every time I put 92 in...

T

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It happened again yesterday.....dang it! 91 octane pure gasoline (no ethanol) in the tank as usual. Very cold out, car had not been started for 24 hours. Had to give it some pedal on the 4th attempt to start. Anybody else have this issue or is it just me? Again, my model is a 2.9.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
Mine has to crank quite a while to start whenit is cold. I have an '06 CS with Tip and it has been that way since I got it in September. It's kind of embarrassing sometimes having to have it crank for so long.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a similar issue this past weekend when the outside temp dropped to 6°f. My car was in a garage but it was still below 20°f inside. It took several attempts to get my for the engine to start.
It seemed as if my car was out of gas even though it had half a tank of 93 Shell gasoline and I just had the battery replaced last month.
My only guess for this happening is because from the bitter cold temperature.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I only start the Cayman once a week and haven't had a problem. Only gas available is 10% and 90 octane at this altitude. For what it is worth, rather than going straight to start, I give the fuel pump a few seconds to build pressure and then start. Watch how much oil you have and then try to fire.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I only start the Cayman once a week and haven't had a problem. Only gas available is 10% and 90 octane at this altitude. For what it is worth, rather than going straight to start, I give the fuel pump a few seconds to build pressure and then start. Watch how much oil you have and then try to fire.
I'll be doing that today........makes good sense.....thanks for the thought.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Interesting, I always hear various noises during startup when I'm checking the oil but never realized the fuel pump being primed is part of this process. Is this true for all modern cars?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts