Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the Whine for the Day thread after a miserable experience at a family chain restaurant, everything from burnt food to a server who was just pathetic. Going back there a year later, the same restaurant completely turned around and I noted that. But life isn't full of whines. No sometimes, good stuff happens whether it be a GOOD experience at a restaurant or just a good tool you found or just a good day. It happens. So to be fair, the NON-Whine of the day or "good stuff". My first "good stuff" Just opinions. Nothing is right or wrong here.

------

When I was a kid my parents made coffee with a percolator or instant coffee. Today, we live in a world of instant gratification. As I grew older, I really didn't like coffee but my wife does. We went through all the "devices": Drip Mr. Coffee, a more professional drip, French Press, Expresso maker, Electric Expresso, and bought a coffee grinder (several), multiple flavors for speciality dealers, etc. etc. etc. Today, heavy duty Drip Machine sits in a closet. The bean grinder is reserved for used with the French Press, which is rare. This leaves a tiny 4 cup Mr. Coffee my wife uses daily. I really never liked hot coffee. Ice coffee is cool, or coffee ice cream but hot coffee, not so cool. I can take it or leave it. So, I rarely have a cup of coffee, maybe a french press at a restaurant on rare occasion. And then my wife found these.

Coffee junkies, look elsewhere, you might not like this.

My wife came home with these samples. I had no clue what they were and paid zero attention. She kept using them up and raving about them. So I tried one and :eek:

What is this? Its Korean Instant Coffee. Who knew Korean instant coffee? I thought instant coffee was a 1960s thing. It comes prepackaged as just regular coffee in the red while the yellow is a mocha. Instant creamer and some sugar is included. One stick makes one coffee cup (not mug). I like coffee black and strong so I use 5 oz to make it darker. Stick water in cup. Nuke. Pour in stick of instant stuff. Stir. Done.

Good stuff for what it is. I'm shocked. I looked it up and South Korea seems to be big on instant coffee. Downside is sugar is included but they also sell one, I think, w/out sugar. Who sells them? Amazon, of course.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Neither a whine nor a non-whine, just an observation. Hardly an hour goes by and someone posts in the Whine of the Day thread.
The NON Whine Thread? 10 hours and not a single contribution... What a sad reflection of the people....
Umm, I agree, but you seem to be whining that no one is not whining and not posting anything good yourself...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I've been going out of my way to make eye contact with every stranger I pass and smile and say, "Good morning" or "Hello". It's amazing how it seems to be catching.

There is a guy at the gym who comes in as I'm leaving. He drives an AMG. While not my thing, we are both our own kind of car guy, and I enjoy my 30 conversation each morning.

Number 3: I freaking love my new dirt bike. I rode a Husaberg for 7 years and was afraid to sell it because I never thought I'd like another bike as much. I test rode everything I could throw a leg over (every time a friend got a new bike and every opportunity to demo a dealer's bike). But nothing impressed me. I bought the Husky based on reviews. Wow, is this a great bike. I put it on the scale and it's 26 lbs < the Husaberg. I've been riding nearly every weekend. Last Sunday, I rode 110 miles of trail, fast, with few breaks, and loved every second of it. I have a lot of hobbies and interests, but there isn't much I like as much as dirt bike riding.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I've been going out of my way to make eye contact with every stranger I pass and smile and say, "Good morning" or "Hello". It's amazing how it seems to be catching.
Amen to that! I've been deliberately trying to be nice to the people who I meet at the service station or grocery store. I try to smile and strike up a conversation. 99% of the time people respond in kind.

Number 3: I freaking love my new dirt bike. I rode a Husaberg for 7 years and was afraid to sell it because I never thought I'd like another bike as much. I test rode everything I could throw a leg over (every time a friend got a new bike and every opportunity to demo a dealer's bike). But nothing impressed me. I bought the Husky based on reviewsicon. Wow, is this a great bike. I put it on the scale and it's 26 lbs < the Husaberg. I've been riding nearly every weekend. Last Sunday, I rode 110 miles of trail, fast, with few breaks, and loved every second of it. I have a lot of hobbies and interests, but there isn't much I like as much as dirt bike riding.
Keep up your bike riding as long as you can. It is a great hobby! Unfortunately, I'm getting too old to ride (71 Wednesday) and a radical prostatectomy doesn't help. :hilarious:

So now I've got several road bikes and one dirt bike gathering dust.

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent. And here's something to do too, something I have consciously tried to do all the time. Say "thank you" when appropriate. You would be amazed how far those two simple words go. People smile. Even on the phone, like with customer service, it makes people happy. It makes their day.

Todays NWOTD - Le Creuset

I think many people go through stages of buying stuff for the kitchen, buy a cheap frying pan, maybe non-stick, it scratches, go through sets, etc etc etc - all that money out the window. And then we found Le Creuset. Amazing stuff. Buy one of these things and your grandkids will be using it. What is it? Cast iron with porcelain. Clean up is nothing, literally nothing. Sit in some soapy water and wash off. Heavy stuff, weighs a ton but will never wear out.

This is one of those things where you get what you pay for. There are cheaper Cast Iron products out there, but they are hard pressed to beat Le Crueset.

This is the piece we use all the time, a braiser, comes with a top for simmering, I think 4 or 5 qrt. The color you see is not Flame, the color they are famous for but some kind of pumpkin. The pots behind it is flame. The come in all kinds of bright colors. That's Chili simmering. This is great stuff of which I have no complaints.

No need to pay full price. For this braiser I found a "second". Had it for maybe 8 years and I have no idea why its a second. I can't remember the price but it was maybe 1/3 to 1/2 off MSRP? Go to a real store and it is sold at MSRP and this stuff is not cheap >$300.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Excellent. And here's something to do too, something I have consciously tried to do all the time. Say "thank you" when appropriate. You would be amazed how far those two simple words go. People smile. Even on the phone, like with customer service, it makes people happy. It makes their day.

Todays NWOTD - Le Creuset

This is one of those things where you get what you pay for. There are cheaper Cast Iron products out there, but they are hard pressed to beat Le Crueset.
I agree that Le Crueset are excellent, but they really are substantially overpriced. The only advantage over plain cast iron is the porcelain coating - maybe it is expensive getting porcelain to stick to cast iron.

I have five plain cast iron pieces - skillets to a Dutch Oven and some of them have been in continuous use for 45 years or more. If you season them properly and don't overdo the dish soap, they are very easy to clean. You could buy my entire set new for substantially less than one Le Crueset piece. I admit they don't look as good, however.

Reactions: gfspencer

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree that Le Crueset are excellent, but they really are substantially overpriced. The only advantage over plain cast iron is the porcelain coating - maybe it is expensive getting porcelain to stick to cast iron.

I have five plain cast iron pieces - skillets to a Dutch Oven and some of them have been in continuous use for 45 years or more. If you season them properly and don't overdo the dish soap, they are very easy to clean. You could buy my entire set new for substantially less than one Le Crueset piece. I admit they don't look as good, however.
I have nothing against any cast iron piece. The porcelain makes cleaning trivial. There is nothing to do. No seasoning and cleanup is about non-existent.

I agree pricing is high, hence I bought a "second" :) Free would have been better :):). Other pieces come on sale. I can't imagine anyone paying full price. I know we live in a society that wants instant gratification but I can wait until a yearly sale and get pieces at 1/3 off. Sales are good. Free is better.

Color is a thing. Black is, well black. That's my wife's department. I don't get to choose the color and they do come in all kinds of colors. But I got nothing against any kind of cast iron. I do have something against the non-stick frying pans that despite using non-metal spatulas, inevitable scrape the coating off and you know you end up eating it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Their cast iron is good, but I LOVE my LeCreuset tri-ply stainless. It works GREAT on induction, is easy to clean up, and is way cheaper than All-Clad with a more useful assortment of pieces.

My other non-whine is that we are having the best week of weather that we've had all summer. Yay!

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
My wife and I have a LeCreusent stew pot that we have had for 35 years! I can't remember what we paid for it but it has more than paid for itself. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
It looks like this is turning into the cooking show...:kiss:
I think a couple of you guys need to turn in your man card. :taunt:

My non whine:
Temperature this morning was below 70˚ (first time in many months) and the forecast highs for the next week are below 100˚. Autumn is getting closer.
Another month and we should be in the upper 80's

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like this is turning into the cooking show...:kiss:
I think a couple of you guys need to turn in your man card. :taunt:
Ha! REAL men know how to throw a steak on the BBQ AND cook up some chili!!! :D

Their cast iron is good, but I LOVE my LeCreuset tri-ply stainless.
Yeah, we got the usual All-Clad tri-ply too, not the copper clad one but the cheaper one. Rarely use it except for the big pots. Grown to hate stainless cooking stuff.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ha! REAL men know how to throw a steak on the BBQ AND cook up some chili!!! :D
Yes we do, but we don't debate non stick finishes or color coordinating our pots to the kitchen curtains.

Full disclosure:
I own about 7 or 8 Le Creuset pieces, high end stainless steel cookware and only buy high end knives.
You are only as good as the tools with which you work.

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
only buy high end knives.
I FORGET about the Japanese Knives! But I'm too lazy to take some pictures :(

Non-WOTD - The Candy Store

This is a car forum so cars. Today was a very nice day. Blue sky, no clouds, mid-to high 70s, reasonable humidity, a good day to be outside. So we went to the PCA Open House. A couple of pictures.

First, I saw at least FOUR GT3RS. That's pretty cool. This one was driving in and I think used for some kind of display, selling stuff of which I paid no attention.

911T, not sure which blue this is, in front, a Turbo, and in front of that, ANOTHER GT3RS in Mexico Blue or Miami Blue? Not sure

and a nice Orange 991S Cabrio

Where are all the box/cay? It was boxster day, there were a lot but in their own special area and I was roaming around the 911 area.

Just a candy store. Shiny objects :)

Oh, when an air cooled 911 pulls in, everyone listens. When a Turbo pulls in, nobody notices (observation).

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Non-WOTD - a workhorse

I early 2007 I bought an Apple Airport Extreme router with the fancy new 802.11n protocol. Its been running every day, 24/7, for more than ten years, and just works (of course it will now kick the bucket).

That is quality. It just worked. Kudos to you Apple.

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Non-WOTD - Excellent Service

For today, I am going to say "Job Well Done" about a service.

Many times, I sit on the phone, wait for a human to answer, they human that answers can't do anything and up the complaint goes through the food chain, and nothing gets done. Besides, whoever answers is now not in the country and sometimes has no clue what I am talking about. Not the other day. I needed service done on an expensive item. It went like this.

1. Go to website, fill in form, print label
2. Package and ship item w/tracking
3. Email received item received
4. Email received with quote
5. Email received work done with new tracking number
6. Item received, packaged well, work done to satisfaction.

Cradle to grave, maybe 5 working days. Job well done. Sometimes, you get really good service.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Non-WOTD - Awesome Weekend!

My "weekend" actually started Thursday (9/14) evening with my wife and I going to see Sammy Hagar and The Circle in concert. The show was opened with Collective Soul and closed out with Sammy once again laying it all out for the fans. Sammy is wealthy and has no monetary reason to do what he does at nearly 70 years old (70th birthday on 10/13).

Friday morning my wife and I got in the CGTS and with another couple in their Dodge Challenger and took the country roads from Dallas to San Antonio for the weekend. The drive was amazing, hitting a lot of twisty roads and getting a chance to open the cars up a bit. On the way, we stopped at Real Ale Brewery for a small beer sampling.

After checking into our hotel we got a Lyft ride out to Edwards Ridge Rum Distillery for a rum tasting and tour. Their staff was amazing making sure we had great rum drinks and answered all our questions.

On Saturday we went on a TX Winery Bus Tour. We visited 3 wineries including one call "Fat *** Winery". The name is in honor of the winery owners donkey that is on site! I could not ask for a better weekend with my wife and friends!

1 - 20 of 195 Posts