Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

None of this is likely to be new news but

6K views 68 replies 29 participants last post by  Greywolf 
#1 ·
I attended the grand opening of the new Porsche East London showroom last night.

They had on display a replica of the car that just won Le Mans, a 918 Spyder, a 911 GT3 and a Cayman GT4 amongst others.

Anyway, confirmed to me that
- No more allocations for the 981 GTS are available
- Agate/Amber has been discontinued (at least for now). No longer available
- Sports Exhaust Sound for the new 4cl turbo engines will be "acoustic" (i.e. synthesized out of speakers). Apparently it's very good but it's still not real.

Everyone's pretty clueless about when the switch to 981.2 will be. They're hoping to hear more soon.

Much capital, however, being made about the fact that the Le Mans winner was a 4cyl 2.0 engine.

Sorry, I know none of this is groundbreaking but I thought I'd report.

#2 ·
Thanks for posting. Hopefully, we don't have to pay $3000 for the fake PSE sound in the speakers. Glad I got the Flat-6 NA when I did. This would be a major turnoff for me. IMHO, that's the same thing as putting a Porsche badge on a Toyota MR2 Spyder. No thanks.

#3 ·
Wow...glad I got a 981 GTS! Surprised they are not available anymore.

#5 ·
I am so glad I ordered my GTS when I did. I would be po'ed beyond belief if my dream sports car only came with the 4 cylinder, speaker noise exhaust, and no Amber orange interior or anthracite brown exterior (also cancelled).

My wife may still not have seen the need to get it now, but I did. My condolences to those who are now being affected by these changes.

#7 · (Edited)
I've been waiting to hear whether PAG would go phoney car noise (e.g. like BMW) or whether the engineers would be able to come up with some magic to make the 4-cylinder turbo sound good. This is the first time that I've heard the answer, so thanks for updating us.

While I'm sure many consumers won't care, I think the average Porsche buyer isn't the average new BMW buyer. BMW has weathered the storm nicely in transitioning from an audience of car enthusiasts to an audience of mostly people wanting to appear trendy. (Of course this doesn't include buyers of the remaining sporty cars such as the M235, the real M cars, etc.)

It's hard to imagine that Porsche will necessarily experience the same smooth sailing BMW has. I understand that phoney car noise does not necessarily water down the rest of the car, unlike with BMW which has watered down just about everything. I further understand Porsche may need to do what they're doing. That said, I would not buy such a car. 'Glad to have a 981.1!

#9 ·
IMO Porsche has a great opportunity with the 919 winning Le Mans to make the introduction of a 4 cyl into the Boxster/Cayman pretty cool - but only if it's part of some hybrid package that leverages some of the tech from the 919/918. Simply slapping a small turbo on a shortened 6 cyl isn't going to make me excited enough to trade a NA car.

A hybrid car with the fill-in electric tech could offer the response that I want, economy to keep the gov happy and create the first affordable sports hybrid (the i8 starts at GT3 money).

Reactions: AMH142
#10 ·
for me...the 4cyl needs to SOUND good, Not many 4 cyl turbos actually sound good and sound expensive. They need that expensive delicious sound, power is great but sound becomes more important after some point.

Reactions: subshooter
#11 ·
Maybe off-topic or warrants a new thread for discussion, but IMO we are fast approaching the end of an era for Porsche as we know it, it already feels like they are heading in the same direction as BMW with the cars getting slightly softer and larger with each iteration and turbos likely to become more and more prevalent across the lineup in the future.

I know not all are in the same camp and to some modern and newer will always be better, but for me at 29 I already feel like the 981 is the last modern Porsche I will own and even with it, I do sometimes find myself missing a few aspects of my 987.2. Perhaps I can go 3.8L conversion if that is still a reasonable option few years down the road, either that or I'm hoping I can still get a Raby built 996 or 997 in the future as my "life-long" keeper Porsche

As a counter to my point above, air-cooled guys probably said the same thing about water cooled models when those were introduced so maybe it's just a generation thing and some will always want to stay with the generation of cars they first fell in love with the brand with but for me it's not just Porsche, I'm just not a fan of the direction most modern automobiles across numerous brands are heading due to regulations and other factors taking away driver involvement by adding more and more driving aids and focusing more on driver entertainment and convenience, etc.

#12 · (Edited)
air-cooled guys probably said the same thing about water cooled models when those were introduced

They did, but have u heard a 4 banger go down the road with a sport exhaust? They are absolutely PATHETIC sounding. They would have to have a 8000W speaker outside the car playing 6 cylinder sounds to correct that. Or else they would have to give us an F1 style engine that pulls to 12,000 rpm. 4 bangers with Turbos and 6500 redline won't cut it with me.

#13 ·
I think that the key difference with these pending changes is that they're not being made because Porsche feels they'll be better sports cars.

When they went to water cooled engines, it was because they'd pretty much tapped out the potential of the air cooled ones and in order to get more performance and make the cars better sports cars, they had to take that step.

In this case though, the steps are being made to meet environmental regulations rather than to make the cars better for the driving experience. Sure, they'll be more powerful, but they already have plenty more power out of the flat 6. I don't think anyone will argue that they'd rather have a turbo 4 over a 3.8L making the same power.

Of course, it could be worse. It could be like the 70's where companies were making changes due to regulations and absolutely killing the performance of the cars. At least this time around, they can still add more power and put out numbers to say the new cars are better, and in some ways they will be.

But the character is changing and not because they want it to improve. It's changing because it has to and they're doing what they can to make the best of it.

That's just unfortunate.

#18 ·
The thing is that month to month they sell 6x as many Cayennes as Boxsters, so even combining 981 and 991 production it really doesn't make much difference to the overall average emissions figures. Also these are the cars that do the least mileage compared to the Cayennes, Macans and Panameras - which is probably not taken into account in government emissions regulations otherwise an F150 and Camry would have to do 150mpg!

Ferrari took the pressure to downsize and used it as an opportunity to do something cool with turbo-charging. Porsche has a 4 cyl that sounds great with a sports exhaust in the 919 and a lot of cool hybrid tech in the non-turbo 918. Remember we're talking about a flat-4 rather than an inline 4 and hopefully a completely new approach to the powertrain as a result.

Really the worst case scenario for us is that we keep our 981's with NA 6-cyl engines and watch them appreciate in value like the manual GT3's have.

Reactions: PCA1983
#14 ·
I can see add-on sales of the PSE dropping dramatically with the new generation of cars. Unless, of course, they also drop the price of the system dramatically as well.

#15 ·
On the other hand, at least the Flat 6 without PSE sounds great (just not augmented). The four cylinder turbo engine is likely to sound pretty awful without PSE. I get the impression that PSE will be essential, therefore, if you want your car to sound like a sports car.

#16 ·
I am still in the DD convertible camp and since it rains where I live the Spyder's manual top was not for me, but I sure wanted that 3.8l :)

So I am glad I made the decision to buy a 2016 BGTS, I actually pondered this for a while thinking that Porsche might still offer a flat-6 in the 981 line for a 'specialty' model, but this seem to be where the turbo-4 comes in. My choice eventually came down to this, did I want a more powerful turbo-4 or a great sounding flat-6 that may be the last of that era for this chassis... my signature gives the answer!

I will never, say never but until they come up with a very credible replacement to the car I have on order then I will consider myself to be very fortunate to own this generation of 981's.

#17 ·
The PSE of the future will be an 8000W speaker system outside to imitate the sounds of a GT4, but I'm afraid Porsche will come up short sighted this issue for the first few years.

I'd rather pay a gas guzzler tax in the future and go with a 3.8 and X51 power pack. No laws here in the USA are requiring Porsche to go to little 4 bangers we don't want. I think the gas guzzler tax on a 991 Turbo S is only $1000 on a car that typically runs $190-200k. So it's hard to see from here why Porsche must downsize all its engines. I could see them adding the 4s to the existing lineup for countries with extreme laws and fuel process. I can buy high octane fuel here for $2.85/gal (€0.66/L or £0.47/L) so there is no reason for me to want to economize on my sports car I drive only 6000 mi/yr (10,000 km/yr). Let's hope Porsche to all is major markets.

Auto industry article in today's WSJ notes USA prices for used cars are softening, and that new cars generally follow. Used car prices are down 13.7% at retail giant CarMax the past 12 months, as new car sales are at their highest levels in over a decade. Theynote that prices are also softening at wholesale giant Mannheim auto auctions. Car sales are cyclical. The number of cars here coming off leases will increase in the next year. IMO, if Porsche offers less into a softening market the next few years, it won't go well for them.

BTW, this week, a major out of town dealer asked me if I would be interested in a Cayman GTS. I did not follow it up because we were talking about my build for a GT4. But he shows none avails on his website. Not sure how he was expecting to supply a GTS.

This is the same dealer that had 5 GT4s on his website this week, complete with a different options list for each. So they seemed likereal orders. But it only showed file photos because obviously no GT4s are in yet.

#19 ·
Regarding you last 2 sentences, it would be interesting to know the real allocation numbers for the GTS, Spyder and GT4. The 981 production line has a specific capacity, new allocations would only come from extending the time the line runs for either in hours per day or longer into the future, the plant shuts down in August for holidays at which time I understood they would re-tool for the turbo 4 in the 981.2

This is not to say they won't continue to offer the GT4 and Spyder with the 3.8l but it was my understanding was that all other 981's would be sporting a turbo-4 and be released next year as a early MY17 (they did that with the 2014 Cayman). There also may be some late built GTS allocations finalized after August, but new ones, I am not so sure.

I would also be surprised that Porsche split model types across the world, offering for example a GTS in North America with a flat-6 and in Europe with a turbo-4, that would be tough to keep sorted out on the assembly line, more likely any flat-6 models would only be available into a market where they are allowed and the restricted market simply could not order them.

I guess that we will soon see.

Reactions: PCA1983
#20 ·
When I first heard BMW was piping artificial exhaust noise via the speakers into the car, I laughed and laughed and laughed. Now that I hear this for Porsche I am crying. WTF?!?!!!!?

As as for the 4 cyl turbo being the new era, I fully agree and compare it to the early 70's. At least they are keeping the power. But you can never replace the wail of the NA motor. As for GT4s remaining NA, I wouldn't count on it.

I am glad that I got my NA before they disappear. What this means is I should load my Spyder with every option I want (f the cost) because it will be a car I keep forever.

#22 ·
I haven't driven a newer M car so don't know if BMW tries harder there or not. On my 535 it sounds pathetically stupid. Most of the sound comes from under the seat.

At least the current Porsche symposer set up just sounds a bit unnatural and a little overdone. The sound at least comes from the direction of the engine. Hopefully they make an effort to get the 4 cyl cars right.

The other thing I'd love to have on these things is an option to play the sound track of your choice, air cooled F-6, Ferarri Columbo V-12, Merlin V-12, whatever. Plus have an off switch.

Les

#24 ·
At least the current Porsche symposer set up just sounds a bit unnatural and a little overdone. The sound at least comes from the direction of the engine. Hopefully they make an effort to get the 4 cyl cars right.
I still kinda wonder whether mine works properly. I just don't seem to hear anything extra that seems to be coming from the firewall in Sport Plus that I don't hear in other modes with the PSE active.

I mean... it definitely sounds different in Sport Plus, but not in a way that I can pin down to "Oh... there's this thing here between the seats doing that..."

I've got no complaints. My car sounds amazing. But comments like this that say it sounds a bit unnatural... I just don't hear that.

#30 ·
The NA flat-six is being converted to a turbo-six for the 911s, fellas. And of course, the Boxster/Caymans are losing the six altogether for the turbo fours. The only way to get a NA engine in a Porsche after this coming winter will be in a "GT-" (i.e., not GTS) designated car.

#31 ·
So in the 981, possibly the GT4 and Spyder...?

Having said this, I would take a turbo-6 in my GTS! :burnout:

#48 ·
I have a turbo (straight) six right now. The power and torque are great. The noise? There's a reason this car pipes the sound in through speakers... and it's still way too quiet.

#33 ·
I'll address the turbo charged engines from a different perspective where I believe I got it right from a first hand experience in both my turbo 987 and turbo 991:

1) After 2400 km in my 991 turbo I can say the power/acceleration became very much something I'm used to. The thrill of the 1st time I gunned the pedal has faded. The unbelievable acceleration became a norm. And I can steer the car with one hand like every single car I drove in the past. The only exception is one twisty roads where it's a MUST to use both hands as the tires start screeching on turns under a gunned pedal.
2) only an idiot would be able to check the speedometer under hard acceleration. I can only check it as I ease on the gas pedal and see 3 digits close to 200 km/hr.
3) So I don't really feel or see how fast I accelerate any more... it's something I got used to after many hard pulls.
4) the only thing that alarms me I'm accelerating hard is the exhaust / engine sound. That's why I drive with the sunroof opened in the morning and at night. I can't imagine that taken from me.

This made me realize that even if the Tesla could go 0-100 in under 2 seconds one day, it won't matter for me. Because after a 1000 km or 2000, I won't feel the acceleration any more. And I'd be left with unfulfilled emotions crying for an exhaust sound.

Porsche better do something for the exhaust sound of these turbo charged 4 cylinders. Otherwise, trust so many owners will dump them in a year or two leaving them with unfulfilled void.

Sports cars are looks, power and sound. Take one of them out, it's a different formula... but it won't be a sports car.

#46 ·
Couldn't agree more. My tuned Audi S6 has 580hp and 630lb-ft. It is blistering fast, but it is also subdued. I could very literally get to 60 in 3 seconds while drinking a latte and having a conversation with a passenger. The Cayman on the other hand is so raw and engaging. Beyond a certain point, absolute speed capability becomes superfluous. Your body just gets used to it, your brain anticipates, and the shock effect of the brutal acceleration fades. Give me a great agile car that looks good, sounds good and FEELS good, and I will take it any day.

#35 ·
I know this is an "under-damped" reaction, but when I read that Porsche will be compensating exhaust sounds by augmented speaker in the passenger compartment, they've diminished their appeal as an outstanding automotive engineering company significantly. I am so disappointed with this design decision that my outward pride about Porsche may soon be gone.

It's funny how winning races does not compensate for speakers-enhanced engine sound in my mind. I'm not sure why this design decision is such an affront to my engineering principles, but it is.

Well, look at it this way, I'll never wrestle over the option decision about PSE again.

#38 ·
It's funny how winning races does not compensate for speakers-enhanced engine sound in my mind. I'm not sure why this design decision is such an affront to my engineering principles, but it is.
The sound on these cars is highly engineered as it is. The symposer sound on the Cayman GTS and Carrera is sound coming from a membrane. Is this really much less fake than sounds coming from a speaker membrane? Some of the sport exhaust sound comes from dropping fuel into the exhaust just to make supposedly "overrun" noise. Isn't that fake as well?

#37 ·
Subshooter - You're assuming all kinds of things here. Wait for the cars.

Porsche is likely to get the sound right (or at least sufficiently good) - don't assume that they won't. They even managed to get EPS quite right, when others were (and still are) struggling with that. Other issues you mentioned with turbos are largely gone with modern technology.

I'm pretty confident Porsche will do a good job on these, and the new models will be the most desirable, not the old ones. I hope my Cayman GTS still holds a reasonable amount of value when I sell it after the new models come out. I've been thinking about selling before that to avoid taking that hit on the resale value.

#39 · (Edited)
The only good to a sound system exhaust noise is if they have a noise cancelling option that makes the interior quiet. Not for all time. but for when you are on the phone, etc. They can make it another option that costs them nothing, but charge an extra $2K for. Noise cancelling has been done for years.

I wouldn't be so upset if they amplified the existing sound, rather than synthesize it.

What comes next? Fake acceleration curves or 0-60 number to make the driver feel better? It is a slippery slope.

#47 ·
I wouldn't be so upset if they amplified the existing sound, rather than synthesize it.

What comes next? Fake acceleration curves or 0-60 number to make the driver feel better? It is a slippery slope.
Playing a recording is over the line for me. It would be like having air bladders in the seats that expand slightly to add the feeling of acceleration over what is actually present. Of course the bladder can slowly deflate as acceleration decreases so that our bodies, like our ears in the case of a recording, can be fooled over and over. Not cool to me.

#42 ·
One possible scenario, the GT4 might be the only Cayman left with a flat six, my reasoning: the 3.8 is off the shelf, nothing bespoke about it, Porsche has said the 911 will always have a flat six, thus the supply for the GT4 will be there. Everyone else will be getting a four banger. I don't understand why Porsche does not adopt cylinder deactivation technology as in the Vette, they can cruise with four cylinders meet regs and when the need arises the other cylinders kick in, most of the time the engine will be running on four. They can keep the same architecture of the 9A1 with mods to valve train, I'm sure this is not beyond the realm of Porsche's engineers.

#53 ·
One possible scenario, the GT4 might be the only Cayman left with a flat six, my reasoning: the 3.8 is off the shelf, nothing bespoke about it, Porsche has said the 911 will always have a flat six, thus the supply for the GT4 will be there. Everyone else will be getting a four banger.
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I think we would see the 981.2 GT4 cars to keep the flat 6 engines, but the next generation ... call it 982.1 cars, I wouldn't be surprised to see turbo engines in those too.

#43 ·
In those cars with speaker-based engine sound, just wait till the cone rots out and starts buzzing.

Reactions: Voyager6
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.