Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I really need help on some advice and care issue.

I am car care noob who got 06 911 S last year(2009) april.

It was a certified used car lease and had 28,000 miles.

36 month lease.

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW is what kind of care do I need for this car.

I have been feeding 91 or 89 some times for gas.

It is now 41,000 miles now so I used 13,000 miles.

I dont go to any race tracks or stuff like that.

1. How long the tires usually last until the change?

2. How long engine-oil usually last til change?

3. What happens if I dont warm up the car before I start to drive.

4. Should I change engine oil and tire only at dealer?

5. If not, how much do you expect for tire change(4 of them)?

6. How much do you expect if I just go to a body-shop and change the engine oil?

This is my tire with 25 cent/quarter coin in the thread. Please tell me how it is worn out.
(Please refresh by entering on the address once when you cant see the picture after you clicked it)
left front
http://postfiles4.naver.net/20100122_275/leluech_1264109694196oFUJa_jpg/leftfront_leluech.jpg

left rear
http://postfiles8.naver.net/20100122_135/leluech_1264109695226mrbIR_jpg/leftrear_leluech.jpg

right rear
http://postfiles1.naver.net/20100122_16/leluech_1264109697760rGr0k_jpg/rightrear_leluech.jpg

right front
http://postfiles7.naver.net/20100122_246/leluech_1264109696325wLIUw_jpg/rightfront_leluech.jpg

If somebody who know really well about 997s.
Please give me some advice.
I really dont know much and trying care the car more than before.
Please tell me anything if there are things that are only porsche owner have to be warned.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
1. How long the tires usually last until the change?
Did you read your owner's manual?

2. How long engine-oil usually last til change?
Did you read your owner's manual?

3. What happens if I dont warm up the car before I start to drive.
Nothing.

4. Should I change engine oil and tire only at dealer?
No.

5. If not, how much do you expect for tire change(4 of them)?
It depends on what kind of tires you buy.

6. How much do you expect if I just go to a body-shop and change the engine oil?
First of all, this is going to depend heavily on what "body-shop" you're talking about. Do you mean something like a Jiffy-Lube? Second, why not just CALL a shop and ask?

If somebody who know really well about 997s.
Please give me some advice.
I really dont know much and trying care the car more than before.
Please tell me anything if there are things that are only porsche owner have to be warned.

Thank you!
First, I suggest you read your owner's manual, because it will likely answer many of the questions you have. Second, there is plenty of information here on the forums that you are welcome to read. Coming here and asking for general owner's advice and tips without being specific is not helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Your pictures are too small to tell for certain, but I would guess that you are getting pretty close to needing new tires. Are the wear bars (in the grooves of the tires) even with the tire tread?

As Interpol said, the answers to many of your questions can be found in the manual. Also, since it is a leased vehicle, you might want to contact the dealer you leased it from to see what might be required by your lease contract in the way of regular service.

By the way, your photo server links are really strange. :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!
better get read manual fully.
for the pictures,
if you click on the http address one more time by clicking enter.
It should show you big pics

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Interpol... moderator or not, you sir are an @$$... Yes, the guy should read the manual, but it is obvious from his post that he is not a native English (or American) speaker/writer.

Why not CUT THE GUY A BREAK??? (yes, that is yelling)

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
jhthornley said:
Interpol... moderator or not, you sir are an @$$... Yes, the guy should read the manual, but it is obvious from his post that he is not a native English (or American) speaker/writer.

Sometimes items are lost in the written word, what someone intends can be hard to discerne, but there is never an excuse to call someone names here moderator or otherwise. If you think a moderator has been unfair then report the post using the report post link and give your reason(s) and I will look into it. Calling a moderator names or shouting is not the way to go about it and if you persist will have negative ramifications !
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts

What exactly did I say that was so offensive to you? Native English speaker or not, his car should have come with an owner's manual that he should have read, correct? If he HAD bothered to look in his manual, he would have saved himself a fair amount of time not having to post his questions here and waiting for answers. Also, would you mind pointing out to me where in my post I ridiculed his English or grammar skills?

The last thing we need is people coming here and asking basic questions about their cars that have already been answered in the FAQ, answered in the manual, or answered ad nauseam on the forums. It's a waste of time and bandwidth.

Now, in YOUR case, it's obvious you haven't read the forum rules, which forbids namecalling/insulting other members, moderator or not - but I'll follow your advice and cut you a break this time. Happy now?

K-Man S said:
Interpol did I just see you tell someone to check the owners manual? Santa fe would be so proud!
Well, I'm trying to be unique by asking if he read the manual first. If he said he did and still couldn't find it, I would have been happy to tell him which page to look at!

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
The OPs multi-part question covers very basic information, and I think Interpol did a good job addressing the questions while at the same time pointing out that owners manuals are written for precisely these types of questions and answers. The OP responded w/ thanks. All had been good until..... Now, if others have replies pertinent to the OPs question we can get back on the rails of the thread.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Angry person or not, you sir need to relax!

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
it appears that I am the only one who disapproves of the curt and unhelpful responses provided... is it so much more difficult to answer "only put 91+ octane in your car" than "read the manual"..??

The OP came here for help, not redirection.

Whatever...

If you knew me you'd realize that I am relaxed... it just got to a point w/ MANY of the responders on here reply in the same manner. (Really puts me off...borders on elitist)

Put yourself in the OPs position where he's reaching out for help...

No sweat from my perspective... take a hard look in the mirror... only you can judge your true self... if you feel good about yourself, ok... if not, do something about it.

OK too if K-Man-S wants to ban me for speaking my mind...

later

John Thornley
Charlotte NC
plate: NISCHE

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Mr. Thornley the OP asked the identical question on another forum (6speedonline). You may find it interesting to view the variety of responses he received, particularly in contrast to this thread, for some perspective on internet forum civility and etiquette. Generally speaking the forums on Planet-9 compare quite favorably to their internet cousins for the absence of rancor and personal attacks.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
it appears that I am the only one who disapproves of the curt and unhelpful responses provided... is it so much more difficult to answer "only put 91+ octane in your car" than "read the manual"..??
When the question has been asked and answered 10+ times on these forums, then yes, it IS much more difficult.

The OP came here for help, not redirection.
Trust me, the OP will learn a LOT more if he just cracked his manual open and read it once. Is that such a bad thing?

If you knew me you'd realize that I am relaxed... it just got to a point w/ MANY of the responders on here reply in the same manner. (Really puts me off...borders on elitist)
You've been a member here for less than a year. Just wait a few years and I guarantee that you'll be as tired of the same repetitive basic questions as everyone else is.

OK too if K-Man-S wants to ban me for speaking my mind...
Nobody's going to ban you, so you can stop playing the martyr now. But if "speaking your mind" in the future includes namecalling and insulting other members, then there WILL be a problem as that is a direct violation of forum rules. For now, consider this issue closed and move on.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
One of the really nice things about this site is its focus, civility and absence of vulgarities. Thanks. Keep it up guys!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts