Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a 987.2 for a while want PDK and Chrono ....Found one I love but no Chrono ...I have heard this can be added as an option..My two questions :

1. If I have no intention to "Track" it am I over rating the Chrono option?
2, Has any one here "back fitted" the option at a Porshe dealership ? ?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yes the Sport Chrono programming can be added by a dealer. As I remember it costs about $1K. You won't get the stopwatch on the dash, but many don't like that anyway.

To answer your first question, it depends on your driving style and wishes for how the car responds. If you enjoy spirited driving, you'll probably want the SC option to bring the PDK alive.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I added the Chrono option at the dealership. It'll run you approx $1400 after parts and labor.
Is it worth it? For a car that will see track time, I'd say yes. If your Cayman is a gently driven daily, it's a big pill to swallow for increased throttle response and slightly quicker shifts. Then again, people will spend way more money than that for aftermarket wheels or body kits that are visual improvements only.
Bottom line--I feel kinda guilty dropping that kind of coin on a button on the dash, but I run my car in Sport mode 75% of the time now.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hello and Welcome whippa.

As racergreg states, it can be added after the fact, but without the "wart" on the dash. I do not like the wart so I'm fine with it not being there. And from everything I've read, it does transform a PDK car so it does make sense to spend the money unless you're going to drive it like your friends drive their mini-vans.

Here's some pricing info I recently obtained from my local dealer. These prices are in line with what suncoast sells this for except for the tax. Anytime I can buy local within a few percent of online, I think it's money well spent for a number of reasons. Those part numbers should be correct, but double check with the dealer.

Software - 997-044-903-02 - $1140

SC Switch - 997-613-557-01A05 - $82

Labor - $250

Tax - $100

Good luck and keep us posted,

Eddie

·
Registered
810 Posts
I searched in vain for 2 years for a 987.2 with PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM and LSD, but finally realized they just don't exist and gave up the search. People just didn't order new boxsters with those cominations of options for some reason. When I finally found one with PDK & Sport Chrono AND priced so low I thought it was a typo, I pulled the trigger immediately despite no PASM or LSD. Still working on retrofitting PASM, which looks to be about $3k if I can source all the parts used. The standard eLSD is "good enough" that I'm not going to drop the cash on a mechanical LSD. But you could if you wanted.

You really need to hit the track once you get it, though. Everyone with a Porsche should!

·
Registered
857 Posts
For the track 100 percent worth it. Honestly, one cannot fully undertand vie mere words. Try to drive one and you will be able to tell if its worth it...

·
Registered
857 Posts
I searched in vain for 2 years for a 987.2 with PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM and LSD, but finally realized they just don't exist and gave up the search. People just didn't order new boxsters with those cominations of options for some reason. When I finally found one with PDK & Sport Chrono AND priced so low I thought it was a typo, I pulled the trigger immediately despite no PASM or LSD. Still working on retrofitting PASM, which looks to be about $3k if I can source all the parts used. The standard eLSD is "good enough" that I'm not going to drop the cash on a mechanical LSD. But you could if you wanted.

You really need to hit the track once you get it, though. Everyone with a Porsche should!
Makes me laugh as I guess I am not the only one,... I have been looking for the same optioned car for two years... :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
1. If I have no intention to "Track" it am I over rating the Chrono option?
If you have no intention to track it then maybe you're overrating it. My PDK Boxster came with the Sports Chrono Package and I rarely use it on the street because it's really track oriented; I use Sport mode most of the time. I consider Sports Chrono a "very nice to have" option as opposed to a deal breaker, especially if you've found a car you love.

If you want to learn more about the Sports Chrono Package, check it out on the Porsche website. I've found it to be confusing at times because certain functions depend on what options a car has (e.g., Manual/Auto and PASM).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts