Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you in Northern California looking for a great weekend drive and destination, I just wanted to share this post re: Hwy 128 through Anderson Valley, Boonville, Mendocino, Little River, Elk, Gualala, etc. It is a wonderful drive and although I didn't take the Cayman S on this trip, the McLaren suited the drive very well. More pics and drive/route info at:

Dave, Car Guy: Dave's Drives: Northern California Coast in the McLaren 12C

IMG_0634.JPG

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I take this drive quite often. Just last Friday as a matter of fact. I start at Cloverdale (since I live on the west side) then continued up Hwy 1 to Leggett and back down 101. After Mendocino County repaved their portion it was heaven. Now if Sonoma County would do their stretch (not that it's too bad).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take this drive quite often. Just last Friday as a matter of fact. I start at Cloverdale (since I live on the west side)
You are a lucky man to live near such beautiful roads and scenery! Next time I think I'll bring the Cayman and come back via Hwy 20 and some of the great State parks just East of Fort Bragg.
humboldt-redwoods.jpg

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
That picture looks like the section through Navarro. Or maybe Ave. of the Giants (picture) if you've gone that far north on 101.
It's been awhile since I've been on Hwy 20 west of Hwy 101. Sounds like another drive coming up.
Yes, I love this area :)
PB130006.JPG

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Thanks for posting this. A buddy of mine joined Rallye CA the other day for pretty much a similar trip. I've been as far as North on 1 as Stewarts Point but that's it... I really need to do this loop some time...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for posting this. A buddy of mine joined Rallye CA the other day for pretty much a similar trip. I've been as far as North on 1 as Stewarts Point but that's it... I really need to do this loop some time...
I'll have to keep on eye on the events they do at Rallye CA, thanks! And maybe one day soon we should just put out the call to a bunch of NorCal Planet-9 -ers to join us on a one day loop on Hwy 128. It really is the perfect set of roads to enjoy a Cayman or Boxster. There are certainly worse ways to spend a day...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yeah I've thought about doing it in a single day...coming from interior east bay its about an hour or more to just get to the "start". Could be fun tho.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I've thought about doing it in a single day...coming from interior east bay its about an hour or more to just get to the "start". Could be fun tho.
I have same distance (starting from Danville), but it still works. I will some day propose a run that begins in Santa Rosa at 8:30 am, goes out to Jenner on the coast, up Hwy 1 to the Point Arena Lighthouse (photo op!), then to Albion Inn for lunch at noon, then turn inland on Hwy 128 and into the Anderson Valley to Goldeneye (Pinot)/Navarro/Boonville (beer) for 1-2 nice wine tasting or beer tasting stop, then back to Healdsburg by 3:30 pm. You can be home before dark or hang out with a significant other in Healdsburg for the night. About 4.5 hours of driving, but every second of it is scenic. I'd say we could get some interest in a ride like that!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think a drive up 128 again or the 20 to the ocean sounds terrific.

Nice MP4 12C OP. Me = jealous

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I'd be up for a drive later this year. Heading to Mammoth Lakes this weekend.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think a drive up 128 again or the 20 to the ocean sounds terrific.
Nice MP4 12C OP. Me = jealous
Excellent, I'm in contact with mcomet (above) regarding finding a driving day not too far off, so I will post something if we get it together! You are in the perfect spot for it... I love the roads around Petaluma!!

BTW, I'll be at Sonoma Raceway this Saturday Oct 31 with the McLaren at a Hooked on Driving event. Drop by between 8 am and 3 pm and you will find me in the paddock with an extra helmet and willingness to have a passenger for a session.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Awesome Dave! I would be all over that.....except it's halloween, and I have a 5 year old. ��

Send me a PM when you are thinking about a nice drive. You are correct. Roads here are awesome!

casey

·
Registered
625 Posts
Excellent, I'm in contact with mcomet (above) regarding finding a driving day not too far off, so I will post something if we get it together! You are in the perfect spot for it... I love the roads around Petaluma!!

I would be interested in a drive like this also.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have to say I scouted this route out a few weeks ago. Pretty cool. Super long day/drive tho. Took me about 9 hours counting the time to the start in Petaluma and back including lunch break and visiting Point Arena Lighthouse. Highway 128 is amazing tho. I will likely try to plan some sort of overnight trip next year...

IMG_3292_fixed.jpg IMG_3314_fixed.jpg IMG_3334_fixed.jpg IMG_3381.jpg IMG_3406.jpg

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to say I scouted this route out a few weeks ago. Pretty cool. Super long day/drive tho. Took me about 9 hours counting the time to the start in Petaluma and back including lunch break and visiting Point Arena Lighthouse. Highway 128 is amazing tho. I will likely try to plan some sort of overnight trip next year...
Nice pics mcomet! Yes, it is a long trip for one day.... but if we know that going into it, and stopping for lunch, we can still be done from 8 am to 5 pm. With that said, there are great places to stay. We stayed overnight at the Little River Inn, but Boonville is an option also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts