Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Cayman. Is it normal for the shifter to feel gritty and hard to engage even with the clutch fully pressed down? Sometimes, I have to give it a hard push to put it in gear.

I tried it on a BMW which felt like butter when gear shifting.

·
Registered
261 Posts
not on my CS. Under hard acceleration it requires a bit more effort, especially the 1-2 shift. But I wouldn't call it hard and certainly not gritty in any way.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have a 2014 Cayman. Is it normal for the shifter to feel gritty and hard to engage even with the clutch fully pressed down? Sometimes, I have to give it a hard push to put it in gear.

In extremely cold winters, this could happen when you just started the car. However, this should go away after a few minutes of driving for upshifts.

It's not too abnormal if it's hard to put shifter when downshifting into first gear though. Just double clutch it in.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
It's a very smooth transmission. No, gritty is not at all normal.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think you should get back to the dealer as soon as you can. The Porsche MT should not geel gritty and, as other posters mentioned, should be smooth immediately after warm up

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Not normal. 981 gearbox is THE BEST gearbox I've seen on sports car. If it doesn't feel that way - you probably need some cable adjustments - see the dealer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I picked up my car with 11 miles on it. The gear throws were a little stiff until I put a few hundred miles on it. I don't think I would call it gritty, but it did take a few miles to wear in.
However, if this is a new feeling that only recently developed, I would have your dealer look at it.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Yes, when compared to BMW or Audi it feels stiffer, harder. Gritty is an issue though. Go to a dealer, and drive other cars or have a tech drive yours. For peace of mind.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not normal. This MT is butter smooth when shifting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts