Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the PSE installed on my 13 BS after I bought it. Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase and install the GTS PSE on a 981 S or does Porsche not allow that?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I can't find the thread now, but when the GTS first was released Lemon (Schnell Autosport) compared the GTS PSE with a not GTS Cayman. The muffler canisters on the GTS were smaller. I seem to recall that you could even make out where it appeared that the canisters were cut and re-welded to a smaller size. I don't know if that PSE was specific to the GTS, or just a newer version of PSE. I would assume smaller canisters mean louder sound.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I remember that thread, but seem to recall them concluding that it was simply a small change over model years. The main difference with the GTS is the sound symposer. To be fair though, I have no idea what difference that makes in actual sound.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what's the difference between PSE and GTS PSE?
I went to the Porsche World Road Show and drove a Cayman GTS. The PSE on that car is much louder than the PSE on my car. It isn't just inside. When we were watching the Cayman GTS was the loudest including the new 911 GTS. I was just wondering if it is possible to order the GTS PSE and have it installed instead of the normal PSE.

·
Registered
123 Posts
yes, it is doable to buy the GTS PSE and install it on your car. All you really need are the mufflers with attached piping. no need for the control valves and all the vacuum tubing since you already have those parts.

i have GTS PSE on my boxster, i bought it off a fellow planet 9'er who parted out a new GTS to build a race car. i can check my mufflers for part numbers if you need me to.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, it is doable to buy the GTS PSE and install it on your car. All you really need are the mufflers with attached piping. no need for the control valves and all the vacuum tubing since you already have those parts.

i have GTS PSE on my boxster, i bought it off a fellow planet 9'er who parted out a new GTS to build a race car. i can check my mufflers for part numbers if you need me to.
Thanks for the info. That does answer my question. If you would provide part numbers that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I find the PSE on my GTS almost obnoxiously loud at times. It's absolutely wonderful. Good luck in your project!

·
Registered
583 Posts
The problem is that according to the PET both the base, S, and GTS have the same part numbers for the PSE option mufflers in the US.

At some point there was a running PN change and the PN suffix changed but it changed for all models. (so an early S may have different mufflers than a late GTS). Then again Porsche has been known to bump part numbers up based on supplier changes or small differences.

It is very possible that Porsche revised the PSE design at some point but at least part number wise there is no difference in the systems. The GTS has a different firewall plate and insulation plus the sound symposer. The tune also has quite a bit to do with some of the sound effects.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The problem is that according to the PET both the base, S, and GTS have the same part numbers for the PSE option mufflers in the US.

At some point there was a running PN change and the PN suffix changed but it changed for all models. (so an early S may have different mufflers than a late GTS). Then again Porsche has been known to bump part numbers up based on supplier changes or small differences.

It is very possible that Porsche revised the PSE design at some point but at least part number wise there is no difference in the systems. The GTS has a different firewall plate and insulation plus the sound symposer. The tune also has quite a bit to do with some of the sound effects.

i have heard the same thing regarding the Part Number revision. as long as he buys the latest part number revision, he would have the same Muffler as a GTS. i went through the same thing when i bought the GTS PSE exhaust. the seller asked me if i wanted the headers as well as the exhaust. i passed on the headers because they had the same part numbers as my original base boxster headers with only a slight revision number.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts