Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are as many threads on this subject as any other subject, but I am thoroughly confused. I've read a lot over the last several years, but still have no idea what to do.

I have an '07 CS modified for street/track with coilovers, sways, roll bar, and more as well as the usual horsepower mods. Between me and the past owner, there have been close to 30 track days. It's had a 996 X51 oil pan for these track days and street tires (no R comps or slicks). I am getting faster on track and also, they are building a track closer to me (Valley Motorsports Park), so I anticipate doing more track days. I figure I am pushing my luck as it is and am thinking about running R Comps or maybe even slicks. I also possibly see a TPC turbo kit in my future the next year or so. I've thought of starting over with a 987.2 but I like my car and think it would be a huge cost savings and stress saver to continue to mod it vs starting over. Also, I really don't want to get into engine swaps or rebuilds. The car isn't worth enough to invest in it. I'd just get a GT3 or GT4 at that point.

I've never had an oil ingestion issue, but if I did, that would be another subject and I think I know what I'd do. Just wondering about the oil starvation. Through my research, it looks like an Accusump and/or extra pumps (TTP or Manthey) are the way to go along with my oil pan. It seems to me that either one should be adequate to solve the problem. The Accusump looks to be much less expensive and easy to install. Would an Accusump alone be enough? If not, what is the difference between the TTP and the Manthey pump systems? Manthey is much less expensive. Would the TTP or Manthey without the Accusump do it or do I need both? I know keeping RPMs off the redline, especially in turns is important too, so no need to reiterate that. Also will switch to 5W-something instead of 0W-40 next oil change.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you don't have oil ingestion issues you're not going fast enough. Get a Motorsports AOS and I run a Mantis deep sump with baffles.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sitting here with a 06 S and a blown engine, I say sell it now. Get the 2010 Cayman S with PDK for $36K on Rennlist. Save the $ on the modded oil catch can ($1400), accusump, etc.... so far, reading everything, seeing the list of people with blown engines with mods, and having done some of the mods myself, no combo has proven to work. Porsche solved most of issues with the DFI engine. I think the only thing you have to worry about is putting a tranny cooler for PDKs.

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have read many threads myself and confused as well so interested in the development of these threads/experiences.

My interpretation is that it's more about managing risk, the more extreme you are racing, the more you should think about updating to manage the weakest link and it doesn't seem to be that bad until you go R compounds/advanced driving skills.

Given the options have been extensively discussed - My CS is reaching 70k miles and 987.2's in manual & White aren't very common here (my preferred configuration) so I'm scoping up thoughts for a rebuild should the time come :)

One option I was trying to understand is whether you could solve the problem with a rebuild (M96/97) to a 3.8 with drilled/knifed rods, better oiling passages etc achieving the same reliability as a 9A1 DFI. The engine builders say this will be bullet proof so just doing due diligence and would be nice to find more experiences on this.

Another interesting thought which I haven't been able to find much info on is a M96/79 transplant from the GT3 MK1's which has dry sump - would this solve the oiling system issues and be mechanically feasible? :) (sorry, don't mean to hi jack and can start a new thread but the goal of these thoughts are to making the same oiling weakness).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts