Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I traded my 13 BS in early May for a 911 C4S to be delivered in August. I don't miss my Boxster at all. When I had it, I loved driving it. Now that I don't, I don't miss it at all. Kinda of been there, done that, time to move on attitude.

I am not sure what gives. I still love my hobbies, work etc. but don't miss what I don't have. Good self preservation mechanism I suppose. But I wonder. If I cancelled my 911 order, I may or may not care. Not that I want to or will do. But engulfed by ennui.
You guys miss toys when you don't have them when other things occupy your time?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I traded my 13 BS in early May for a 911 C4S to be delivered in August. I don't miss my Boxster at all. When I had it, I loved driving it. Now that I don't, I don't miss it at all. Kinda of been there, done that, time to move on attitude.

I am not sure what gives. I still love my hobbies, work etc. but don't miss what I don't have. Good self preservation mechanism I suppose. But I wonder. If I cancelled my 911 order, I may or may not care. Not that I want to or will do. But engulfed by ennui.
i don't miss cars immediately after selling them, but in a few cases after a number of years I wish I had kept them. Not all cars...just a few in my lifetime. 1997 Integra Type R. 2001 AP1 S2000. 2004 M3 (6-speed manual, no leather, no sunroof). The rest? Meh...glad I had them, but don't miss them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Really enjoying your threads. Keep 'en coming.

As for the question. Every day in the evening I sit and wonder if I should pull the car out to drive. I'm doing so right now. It feels like an addiction. I need a fix at least one weekly.

I guess this would fade. But I gotta tell you, I'm not looking forward to the winter season.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Not enough data yet. We need to do this scientifically. When you get your 911, drive it hard for a few weeks and then I will keep it safe for you while we determine if you miss it. We need to ensure that we have robust data, so I suggest a year. Deal?

Reactions: Spectre and Anand

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not enough data yet. We need to do this scientifically. When you get your 911, drive it hard for a few weeks and then I will keep it safe for you while we determine if you miss it. We need to ensure that we have robust data, so I suggest a year. Deal?
Good one! Thanks. I guess I needed that. I suppose once I have another Porsche sports car with a flat six in the garage, things will be different.
Lordy, I wish it could be sooner than August but no chance. The more I wait, the more I forget.

·
Registered
866 Posts
LOL, I read your post at first as "Not missing my ex's Bull Sh.... " OMG I was like yea good your not!:hilarious:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Due to client obligations I haven't been able to drive all year, save for one trip on my NH "short loop" which is ~400 miles. Honestly, I've been dying. Granted, sports cars has always been a primary hobby of mine, as well as my primary stress relief valve. Though over the past few months I've been one helluva crank, to where I've been mostly avoiding humanity because of how insufferable I'm liable to be.

Project is finishing over the next two weeks, and thank god for that. Tonight I did a full seal, wax, full wheel clean (took em off, even paste waxed the barrels and scrubbed the tires!) and interior detail in prep. I plan to toss 2-3K miles on it in July with my new spare time.

Honestly, if you don't miss the Boxster S, I'd think not twice but at least five or six times about dropping 125K. Sounds to me as if you could save yourself a ton of money that may be better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
When I'm not driving my cars due to reasons beyond my control, I obsess over them. I don't know how you're not missing owning a sports car now and how you're not bat**** crazy waiting for your 911.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, when I have time, I have been watching and reading various reviews of the 991.2. So I am looking forward to getting that car. First couple of weeks I missed the Boxster but not anymore. Plus, work has kept me busy as well as other things. Weather wasn't the greatest in May and even in early June, it was rather cold for the Boxster.
Goofnik posed the same question I have been asking myself. Do I want to spend 125k on a new sports car when I don't miss my old sports car? Answer still is an emphatic yes because I do enjoy driving sports cars and the new 911 is eminently more user-friendly and easier to live it than a two seat roadster.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I am not sure what gives. I still love my hobbies, work etc. but don't miss what I don't have.
I agree. I got rid of my sailboat about a year ago. I don't miss it. In fact I am relieved that it is gone. Now I have more time for my other "stuff".

I going to get rid of my motorcycles next. (Thinking about it is the first step. :( ) I have several cameras. I don't plan to get rid of them but I'm not looking to buy any more new cameras or lenses. I have way too many guitars . . . and a new one is coming in July. I guess I'm not cutting back on everything.

Lately I have been spending my waking hours collecting single malt Scotch. :crazy:

I don't want to give up all my "hobbies". When I give up my all my hobbies the end will be nigh. :(

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
When I'm not driving my cars due to reasons beyond my control, I obsess over them. I don't know how you're not missing owning a sports car now and how you're not bat**** crazy waiting for your 911.
Driving season for convertibles is so short in NH that I just gave up. Main reason I don't miss the car I think. Top up, highway driving was difficult with the big blind spots. And I had the standard black interior which added no ambience to the cabin. Weekends in nice weather was all the time I got to drive the car. It just didn't get to be an integral part of my life to miss not having it.
As to the 911, it is a coupe with a glass sunroof, it is a 4S so can be driven all year and I got all the creature comforts in it. There is no point agonizing over it for another two months so I am keping myself busy with other things like cycling more in nice weather.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Well, when I have time, I have been watching and reading various reviews of the 991.2. So I am looking forward to getting that car. First couple of weeks I missed the Boxster but not anymore. Plus, work has kept me busy as well as other things. Weather wasn't the greatest in May and even in early June, it was rather cold for the Boxster.
Goofnik posed the same question I have been asking myself. Do I want to spend 125k on a new sports car when I don't miss my old sports car? Answer still is an emphatic yes because I do enjoy driving sports cars and the new 911 is eminently more user-friendly and easier to live it than a two seat roadster.
As a prior owner of a 997S I don't share your views about the 911 being more user-friendly and easier to live in than a two seat roadster. Don't misinterpret my assertion since I do believe the 991 is a superior car to a 981, it's just not $35K+ more superior IMO. Since you referenced the 911's practicality, I assume you are alluding to the rear seat. The rear seat in a 911 is good for storage and transporting anyone under 5' tall and 90 lbs or less. Granted that you can get larger people back there, but not comfortably. So for most people it adds little in terms of practicality. Moreover, I along with my many 911 friends own multiple cars, so when we need a practical car, the 911 stays home.:)

Honestly, if you don't miss the Boxster S, I'd think not twice but at least five or six times about dropping 125K. Sounds to me as if you could save yourself a ton of money that may be better spent elsewhere.
Unless an owner had problems with their prior sports car, you just have to wonder if that person will feel the same about their new sports car. I think lots of people must fall into the 911 buyers remorse category, since I see lots and lots of one to two year old 911s for sale.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a prior owner of a 997S I don't share your views about the 911 being more user-friendly and easier to live in than a two seat roadster. Don't misinterpret my assertion since I do believe the 991 is a superior car to a 981, it's just not $35K+ more superior IMO. Since you referenced the 911's practicality, I assume you are alluding to the rear seat. The rear seat in a 911 is good for storage and transporting anyone under 5' tall and 90 lbs or less. Granted that you can get larger people back there, but not comfortably. So for most people it adds little in terms of practicality. Moreover, I along with my many 911 friends own multiple cars, so when we need a practical car, the 911 stays home.:)

Unless an owner had problems with their prior sports car, you just have to wonder if that person will feel the same about their new sports car. I think lots of people must fall into the 911 buyers remorse category, since I see lots and lots of one to two year old 911s for sale.
I don't agree. The 991.2 is simply a much better car than the 991.1 and my former 981S. It rides better, the shifter is nicer, the clutch is much lighter than my Boxster, the steering is nicer than my Boxster and having the back seats gives a sense of space sorely lacking in the Boxster especially with the top up. Most importantly I can use it all year round. It will still be my second car with my SUV relegated to commuting and hauling duty. I didn't buy this car on a whim. I spent more than a year drving, evaluating the car and looking at my drving needs where I live.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am probably on the opposite end of this spectrum as a newer owner. We can drive year round, mainly late afternoon thunderstorms or hurricanes would throw a monkey wrench into a drive. I've driven a motorcycle year round although shorter distances in the very cold.

OTOH around here few roads worthy of the P-car unless in the western part of the state.

Being retired I always find something to keep me occupied. Just got back from a trip to the garage to stare at my toy and, OMG, the mailman just arrived.

Life is good. :)

Reactions: engnr1

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
The 991.2 is simply a much better car than the 991.1 and my former 981S. It rides better, the shifter is nicer, the clutch is much lighter than my Boxster, the steering is nicer than my Boxster and having the back seats gives a sense of space sorely lacking in the Boxster especially with the top up. Most importantly I can use it all year round. It will still be my second car with my SUV relegated to commuting and hauling duty. I didn't buy this car on a whim. I spent more than a year drving, evaluating the car and looking at my drving needs where I live.

As I posted earlier I acknowledged that the 911 is superior to the 981. It was just not worth the premium to me, but it is to you and many, many others. I've test driven the 991.1 and unless the shifter has improved dramatically, the 6 speed in a 981 is superior to the 991's 7 speed. As far as handling is concerned I prefer the handling of the 981 to the 911 on the street, and the 911 on the track when driven at or near its limits. Bottom line is that I prefer NA to turbocharged engines. That's why I was never tempted by the Turbo over the decades. One of my neighbors has a 2016 991 Turbo S which he let me drive on a couple of occasions. For those who love to be thrown back into their seats when accelerating, it's a great choice. It's a good car for impressing your girlfriend, although not many guys who can afford to spend over $200K on a toy, need to worry about impressing a girl with a car. Their $2M penthouse in the city and their getaway $5M estate overlooking the ocean or bay will serve that purpose. :)

BTW I'm confidant that you will love your 991.2. As I posted earlier I've owned them over the decades, and neither I nor any of my 911 friends regretted their purchase.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
"...not many guys who can afford to spend over $200K on a toy, need to worry about impressing a girl with a car. Their $2M penthouse in the city and their getaway $5M estate overlooking the ocean or bay will serve that purpose.
Women (or men, for that matter) impressed by expensive toys, penthouses and estates with ocean views are more trouble than they're worth. Of course, if the owners of said toys and real estate are trolling for companionship in the shallow end of the pool, they generally get what they deserve.

Reactions: canux

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
As I posted earlier I acknowledged that the 911 is superior to the 981. It was just not worth the premium to me, but it is to you and many, many others. I've test driven the 991.1 and unless the shifter has improved dramatically, the 6 speed in a 981 is superior to the 991's 7 speed. As far as handling is concerned I prefer the handling of the 981 to the 911 on the street, and the 911 on the track when driven at or near its limits. Bottom line is that I prefer NA to turbocharged engines. That's why I was never tempted by the Turbo over the decades. One of my neighbors has a 2016 991 Turbo S which he let me drive on a couple of occasions. For those who love to be thrown back into their seats when accelerating, it's a great choice. It's a good car for impressing your girlfriend, although not many guys who can afford to spend over $200K on a toy, need to worry about impressing a girl with a car. Their $2M penthouse in the city and their getaway $5M estate overlooking the ocean or bay will serve that purpose. :)

BTW I'm confidant that you will love your 991.2. As I posted earlier I've owned them over the decades, and neither I nor any of my 911 friends regretted their purchase.
I am looking forward to the 4S. Regarding the seven speed, it felt very nice to me. I read that it an upgraded unit from the previous version. The gates are narrower and the shift action is slightly notchy but requires less effort than my Boxster. Everything in the 991.2 felt smoother to me and the 18 ways are very comfortable. The turbo is so strong that the old 3.4 simply does not compare. I am not saying my Boxster was a bad car. Perhaps a Cayman configured properly would have been a better choice in 2013. Mostly having a very limited driving season in NH drove my decision. And of course, always wanted a 911. Never owned one and I am not getting younger. And finally the only girls in my life are my wife and my 5 yr old retriever

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
And of course, always wanted a 911. Never owned one and I am not getting younger. And finally the only girls in my life is my wife and my 5 yr old retriever
Every lover of Porsches should own at least one 911, and now you can take your wife and retriever on rides with you.:)

·
Registered
832 Posts
@fast1; "As I posted earlier I acknowledged that the 911 is superior to the 981." I humbly disagree. Yep bigger engine and and back seat. But as long as that engine in hanging over the rear wheels then No it is not superior to a mid engined 981. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Every lover of Porsches should own at least one 911, and now you can take your wife and retriever on rides with you.:)
This is what worries me. I love the Cayman, but there is an itch that wants to be scratched.

Reactions: engnr1 and KCZ
1 - 20 of 27 Posts