Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my '08 997 is due for its 2 year service (and brake flush). However, looking at the maintenance items for both the 1 year and 2 year services in the manual, it seems that you get the same services (oil change, inspection, test drive, etc.) The only thing that's different (that I don't need b/c my car only has ~8000 miles) is the cabin filter replacement. Of course, the brake flush is an additional item I'll have performed.

So, my question is this: can I schedule a 1 year service instead? This usually cost less at most dealerships, so why pay more?? And, it looks like the services performed are identical to the 2 year service (with the oil change being the most important). Is my booklet going to be denied its 2-yr stamp and does this affect the warranty?

By the way, I searched and couldn't find any similar topic...

Thanks for any help,

AK

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
IMO Just go ahead with the two year service as advised.My vehicle did not have the miles either but it had the time. For the sake of saving a few bucks? If you have the Cayman serviced as scheduled per factory reccomendation it shows well on the vehicles history report.Just one less thing that one may have to explain to a potential future owner (if you might sell in the future) and one less thing you might have to excuse away if any warranty issues come up....Again just my two cents worth.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your point makes sense. I think I am actually getting a decent price and I'm not complaining about it, but it's more for the next time (for my next Porsche or the wife's next Porsche :)) It just seems silly that the service you get at the 1 and 2 year intervals is the same, EXCEPT for the price! I did think about resale and the fact that my booklet may not get the "proper" stamp, or that the service record will be wrong, and that's why I wanted you guys' opinions.

Thanks,

AK

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I had the 2 year service done on my '08 a few months ago and it had approximately 8,000 miles on it. The Service Rep wrote it up for the service WITHOUT changing air filters because he said at that mileage they would still be clean. Saved me some money, still got my book stamped and drove away happy. I really appreciated the dealers honesty and will go back for the next service because of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The total (incl. brake flush) was ~560. so about 230 for brake flush. It was painless. Took about 1.5 hours so I just worked on my laptop while I waited. My service advisor was great (and even asked if I wanted my car washed before it was serviced--I don't like to be surprised with a *free* car wash). It's a bit pricier than going to the indys, but I figure I'm helping keep another dealership in business :)

I figure once my warranty runs out, then I'll look for great indys to service my car. also a great excuse to visit them for mods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.