Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and Ipicked up our new Cayman S last Wedensday at the factory. Midnight blue with grey leather, navigation system, Xenons, Bose. The car garners much attention even in Germany. More importantly it drives wonderfully. At the factory we were told proper break-in should be 5,000 RPM max for 1,000 kilometers. First day drove autobahn to Salzburg, about 200 miles. Even keeping within the break-in guidelines in 6th gear the car cruises at around 115 MPH. Naturally, we varied this. Having been fortunate to have driven a considerable number of cars in Germany, I can tell you this car is absolutely stable and undramatic -- hence quite relaxing -- at speed. You have to shake yourself to realize there is no point in looking back for the highway patrol as it is all totally, unbelievably, legal. The navigation system, which is of enormous help herereceives traffic updates from the radio and suggests detours, one of which took us off the autobahn for over 20 miles through adjacent small towns and farm fields, saving us a two hour delay in a huge ´'stau' or traffic jam. I wish this worked in the States. The PCM is a very sophisticated piece of engineering, although you would not suspect it looking at the console. Another plus: at the two hotels we stayed at so far the people were floored by how much luggage the car could swallow (in our case 4 pieces), easily twice what the 911 can hold. We are currently in Austria, near Bad Gastein, heading west tomorrow to Switzerland. If I can answer any questions, I will.

·
Administrator
34,485 Posts
Yes some pictures and perhaps a complete day by day write-up would make a nice article addition to the Articles section here so that future owners would know what to expect with picking the car up at the factory, etc. Also if you learned any new tidbits about the car or the 07 models while you were there please share those as well. When I visited the factory in June of 2002 they were willing to talk about some things that weren't public yet if we asked.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well this is Kim's 19 year old son writing (Username BMan1113VR normally). We have gone throught Austria, into Switzerland and then Italy. . .half way back through the alps (backinto Switzerland) we got the dreaded pressure plate clutch problem! We got it on Sunday. . .and our hotel is in the middle of nowhere (i.e. near interlaken switz.) The Porsche people in europe do not have the. . .work ethic and customer skills that US people had. They have been absolutely zero help. The car (with the problem) modulates back and forth from being unpleasent to undrivable. All the porsche dealers with in 50 miles are full or otherwise unavailable (they are all joint VW dealers here in Europe). My dad is fuming. . .and I am afraid it is turning his expiriance with the car into a negative one (which is not good for me as I had plans of buyin/inheriting the car in 6 years or so, if he isn't completely turned off by this). The only way that we were able to get a reservation at any porsche dealership in all of Switzerland was through our next hotel (*****)! All the porsche people (of the 14 we have spoken to) were completely useless. So we (with myself driving, as to keep my dads anger with the car to a minimum) are going to try to limp the car the 90 miles to Zurich (hopefully avoiding traffic jams as firstand reverseare gone and second is fading fast).

I am sure my dad will fill you in fully at a later date.

Wish us luck!

-Andrew (Kim's son i.e. BMan1113VR)

p.s. we have taken lots of pictures on this trip (including the car in the snow on alpine roads).I willpersonally make sure that those are posted ;)

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Bummer! You would think by now that PAG would have figured out how to build these cars without this kind of problem showing up. I assume that you have a fairly recent build date.

This is especially aggravating in your situation. Sounds like everyone that could you help is enjoying the World Cup.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Bad luckAndrew but it will make a great story when it is over. Did you all contact the factory about providing help by any chance? I'd also suggest contacting your US dealer and bending their ear about getting some attention. Hope you all make it safely and get some better help from Porsche. Be sure and try matching the revs with the gear selection.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Actually Valmet in Finland is the assembler rather than PAG. My guess is they are responsible for the loose PP bolts.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Valmet buildsthe Caymanfor PAG so by now PAG should have done something about the quality control on this part of assembly, assuming this isn't a module assembled in Stuttgart and then shipped to Finland.

However, Kim's experience in Europe may not be atypical:
<h5>From: Driving the Roads of Europe </h5>

MAINTENANCE

Dealers and a large number of independent garages service automobiles. Quality of service ranges as widely as it does at home. The biggest difference is cost and how long it will take to get parts and make repairs. My experience in Holland is that it can take months to get simple items from Germany if the dealer does not stock the part.

I drove over to Stuttgart to get the Porsche tuned up at the factory, sort of an aside to a vacation trip to the south of France. I left the car at the factory for two days and enjoyed the tail end of a wine festival and some nice sightseeing while they worked on it. Apparently the mechanics had a little too much wine festival themselves because 70 miles south of Stuttgart it went dead in a small dorf. Neither of the garages in the town knew what to do so I had to take a room overnight and call the factory the next morning to get help. After getting the supervisor on the line, I handed the phone to a mechanic, he went 'Ja, ja, ja,' hung up, took a screwdriver over to the car, adjusted something, and I was on my way. About a year later, shortly after I returned to the USA, the timing chain went kaput and the engine blew up, costing some $4,000 for repairs. So much for German quality.

For my German Opel, my company had leased the car and took care of all maintenance expense. I would just drop it off and the dealer drove me to the office. Pretty simple. However, you just about have to know some German to get special items taken care of. Mechanics only speak the native tongue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well. . .we made it in to Zurich (barely)!

This morning we actually got a call from the gentleman at European Delivery who gave us the car. He seems to be the only person in Europe who has decided to take personally responsibility for the problem. Apperently a Mr. Bullucci (sp?), who is the head of European Delivery has also taken an interest. Apperently we are the only Cayman S who has had this problem while in Europe (before it is shipped back to the states). The car is currently about 5 miles from our hotel at a Zurich Dealership being inspected. My dad with his moderate German language skills has been able to translate most portions of the other thread concerning the pressure plate/flywheel issues. Hopefully the service techie's will take note of this. I did make a point to ask if he had ever heard of this problem with the Cayman. After explaining that he was the biggest importer of Caymans to Switzerland (3 on the lot/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/confused_smile.gif), he answered with a strong 'NO'.

Well we are driving up to Stuttgart on Thursday, hopefully with the car/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/angel_smile.gif. I will keep you guys informed. We owe it to you to help us identify the cause of the problem. The car just barely made it in, it was lurching forward or stalling with the clutch smashed into the floor.

-Andrew (Kim' son).

P.S. interesting coincidence. Back in Los Angeles, my mom's 1999 e320 wagon's (automatic) transmission also gave out (after about 120K miles)! Must be a family thing.Then again she is getting a new car inNovember (either an E500 wagon or thenew E63 wagon).

Bummer! You would think by now that PAG would have figured out how to build these cars without this kind of problem showing up. I assume that you have a fairly recent build date.

You would think, but apperently not. The car has an extremley recent build date (within the last two months, I believe).

This is especially aggravating in your situation. Sounds like everyone that could you help is enjoying the World Cup.
Apperently that was the problem with mechanic at the last town (hung over from the game the night before)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bad luckAndrew but it will make a great story when it is over. Did you all contact the factory about providing help by any chance? I'd also suggest contacting your US dealer and bending their ear about getting some attention. Hope you all make it safely and get some better help from Porsche. Be sure and try matching the revs with the gear selection.

Well I am sure my dad will right an extend article (he has for his rental expiriances). Probably one on the good driving experiances and one big one on the negative customer assistance.

As for contacting the factory. . .yup. . .we have spoken to a total of 15 Porsche employees by phone (spending over 100€ of cell phone bills)! Infact, until today the only person who would even make an effort to help us was our salesman back in Los Angeles (an older man named Jack at Rusnak). Even the HQ in Atlanta failed to do anything (a women named Kerry. . .stay away from this lady).

-Andrew

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
This thread has saved me $1,150 on Euro Delivery. Thanks. I'll take delivery at home instead.

This kind of treatment from Porsche AG and its OPC's toward its new customer is shocking.

Edited by - P-nut on 06/27/2006 07:47:03 AM

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Good thought Sax! Bob Carlson was the PR guy back in '86-'87 when we had a 944 in the IMSA Firehawk series.Sincehe hasbeen around that long he should have all the right contacts.

Maury

·
Registered
14 Posts
yes.....people at PCNA are horrible to deal with! i had huge problems with a '04 cayenne-s and basically blammed me for the cars alignment and balance problems. The head at customer commitment is Gerri Lumsden and she is a real piece of work!!

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Five posts up was today's story from Kim & son (bman1113vr). Can'tbe much more current give the time zone. We are all pulling for them to get this fixed and continue to enjoy the once in a lifetime father/son trip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Five posts up was today's story from Kim & son (bman1113vr). Can'tbe much more current give the time zone. We are all pulling for them to get this fixed and continue to enjoy the once in a lifetime father/son trip.
Well all the driving is over. . .early. . .the guys here in zurich said they cannot fix it by thursday with their current work load. My dad finally pulled rank and has had several calls with a Mr. Louis Bellucci (an american (bronx)who is head of european delivery in Germany). He had no idea of the true story that was going on, but just a bad version of it from his underlings who are trying to stay clean of any blame. The whole thing looks like a bad beaurcracy! Mr. Bellucci apperently can pull his weight around europe, because as of last night we have a black 3.2L A6 estate parkedoutside our hotel. The car is currently (as we 'speak') on a truckbound for thefactory. they are going to take it apart with Mr. Bellucci's personal oversight to make sure every thing is absolutely perfect. they will also replace the whole transmission if it appears to have any wear more than 2000km! Mr. Bellucci also said he would look into the possiblility of having the car flown back to the United States on Porsche's bill, but I am not holding my breath for that.

I have told my dad to come on here and he says he will a bit later. He is righting down the expiriance and will probably post it up here. He is also considering about waiting till the car is back in the US and the publishing his expiriance in Porsche Club of America's Magazine.

-Andrew

·
Registered
23 Posts
yes.....people at PCNA are horrible to deal with! i had huge problems with a '04 cayenne-s and basically blammed me for the cars alignment and balance problems. The head at customer commitment is Gerri Lumsden and she is a real piece of work!!
You should speak to her german counter part, Felix something-or-other. customer commitment . . .what a joke.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts