Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded the 2013 981 BS for a 991 C2s cab in Dec 2014 (all PDK). Got a 981 Cayman Base with 6MT as a loaner yesterday (including Sports Chrono). OMG!!! Now I get it! To all those who posit that a base 6MT is "all you need" I now understand. Yes - I miss the low-end grunt, but driving around in the car's *designed rpm range* I've been having a blast! And the chassis/steering is wonderful.

I thought I'd share so anyone considering "just a base Cayman" shouldn't worry about "performance". Yes, I still like extra power. Yes, I still love the 991. No, I'm not trading back. But YES, I am starting to scheme about how I can afford a second Porsche - maybe a 2008 CS? (That's another post)

Safe travels everyone!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes exactly! The power band in the base Cayman is so usable everywhere you go, so you always get to hear that engine roar without risking going 40 over the speed limit!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Traded the 2013 981 BS for a 991 C2s cab in Dec 2014 (all PDK). Got a 981 Cayman Base with 6MT as a loaner yesterday (including Sports Chrono). OMG!!! Now I get it! To all those who posit that a base 6MT is "all you need" I now understand. Yes - I miss the low-end grunt, but driving around in the car's *designed rpm range* I've been having a blast! And the chassis/steering is wonderful.

I thought I'd share so anyone considering "just a base Cayman" shouldn't worry about "performance". Yes, I still like extra power. Yes, I still love the 991. No, I'm not trading back. But YES, I am starting to scheme about how I can afford a second Porsche - maybe a 2008 CS? (That's another post)

Safe travels everyone!
Having 'upgraded' from a 2008 2.7 to a 2010 S I can't agree more. You miss the extra power at the track where the base is overmatched, but on the street, I actually think you get to wind out the motor and get on it a lot more than with the S, where you just end up going too fast if you get into it for any length of time.

Also, the gear ratios in my old 2008 base feel like they were picked by an Engineer or some similar sports car guy. The ratios are tight and it felt perfect. The 6 speed manual in my CS is taller than it should be (I'm assuming for fuel mileage targeting), so it feels like it was picked out by a lawyer or government official overriding the engineer. It would be great if there was a ring and pinion setup that was NOT tracked oriented, that just brought the 6 speed to where I'm sure the engineering team originally would have like to make it if they weren't constrained by a lawyer type.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what about IMS issues? Should I be patient and just wait for 2009+ base or S prices to drop into my affordability range? It's not like I don't have a P-car to drive on tours, etc. I found a killer PTS green 2008 in Illinois - it's even a CPO!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
So what about IMS issues? Should I be patient and just wait for 2009+ base or S prices to drop into my affordability range? It's not like I don't have a P-car to drive on tours, etc. I found a killer PTS green 2008 in Illinois - it's even a CPO!
Wait until winter time and see what the price is like for the 981 base, I would assume it'll go down again unless you can't wait. I'm surprised they give you a MT loaner. They don't do that around here, it's all automatics.

·
Registered
779 Posts
One of the most fun cars I've ever owned was a BMW 318ti with a 5-speed manual and Dinan suspension. Underpowered? For sure! And that's part of why it was so much fun -- you had to work to take advantage of the suspension and get it going, but the work was the fun part of driving. Same, only more so, for the base Cayman!

Reactions: MontieVA

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
So what about IMS issues?
Get an upgraded bearing/oiling, replace the original bearing, and monitor for wear. I've never understood why people are so paranoid about a problem that *can* be solved. Either add ~$2-3K to the price of the car (incl. labor), or use the knowledge to leverage the price lower.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
To replace the "improved" IMS bearing in the 2006 through 2008 the engine block must be split. The IMS cannot be replaced without doing so and it would cost a whole lot more than $2-3 K. I understand that there is an oiling enhancement that can be made without splitting the block. Having shared that, it is also very rare for an IMS failure in those same engines. Read somewhere less than 1% failure rate versus the old IMS which was rated at a 10% failure rate.:cheers:

·
Registered
310 Posts
...... Got a 981 Cayman Base with 6MT as a loaner yesterday (including Sports Chrono). OMG!!! Now I get it......
Safe travels everyone!
How nice for you, I dropped off my 981BS at Plano yesterday and got a VW Passat.
I told them that I preferred a GT3 and they claimed not to have any ... or any other loaner at that time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts