Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cayman is a '07 Black/Black with the PAG launch code. No power mods yet but did change the side lights to clear and the tail pipe to dual ports. It's a daiily commuter and just so fun to drive!

I've had my Cayman for about 5 months now and my wife and I notice how people kinda stare at the car. I went with my son on a guys trip to Monterey this past weekend and got the royal treatment from people I wouldn't have expected it from. Went to park the car at a local parking lot 2 blocks from the Aquarium, paid the $10 all-day fee and the attendant says, "Looks like you've got a pretty nice car. Follow me." He guides me to a parking space away from everyone else, that seems to be coned off for VIPs or something. When I come back, there's an M5 parked next to me, our doors as far away from each other as possible.

As I'm leaving the lot, someone in a Honda minivan is pulling into the lot, waves at me to open the window, and asks if I'm on Planet Porsche! I'm sorry, I didn't catch the full handle, but it had "007" and then he says, "Nice car!"

On the way back home, we pull into the outlets at Gilroy and into Mickey D's to share fries and a coke with my son. I was lucky enough to park right at the door, and even luckier to find a seat right next to the front door. For the next 40 minutes or so, people are just ogling the Cayman, staring and giving the car a once-over. One guy saw the car as he was leaving McDonalds and says, "that's a nice car." The kicker was when a group of 4 guys hovered around the car, then one guy gets his picture taken standing next to the Cayman! Make that two pictures, as he wanted two poses with the car!

I had a 944 that was in pretty good shape in the past and strangers would come up and ask if I was interested in selling the car. This is the first time I've had people just stare at the car like it's a piece of art. Men and their sons would admire the car, young women would look at the Cayman as they walk by, it's just amazing! Now I understand why this car is so HOT!

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I agree with what you say, but I'd add the real allure is the tingly feeling you get watching those folks. In the end, you know that you are the one to drive your Cayman, and that's the true joy, no?

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
It is fun to own and does have some advantages.

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
Cayman is a '07 Black/Black with the PAG launch code. No power mods yet but did change the side lights to clear and the tail pipe to dual ports. It's a daiily commuter and just so fun to drive!

I've had my Cayman for about 5 months now and my wife and I notice how people kinda stare at the car. I went with my son on a guys trip to Monterey this past weekend and got the royal treatment from people I wouldn't have expected it from. Went to park the car at a local parking lot 2 blocks from the Aquarium, paid the $10 all-day fee and the attendant says, "Looks like you've got a pretty nice car. Follow me." He guides me to a parking space away from everyone else, that seems to be coned off for VIPs or something. When I come back, there's an M5 parked next to me, our doors as far away from each other as possible.

As I'm leaving the lot, someone in a Honda minivan is pulling into the lot, waves at me to open the window, and asks if I'm on Planet Porsche! I'm sorry, I didn't catch the full handle, but it had "007" and then he says, "Nice car!"

On the way back home, we pull into the outlets at Gilroy and into Mickey D's to share fries and a coke with my son. I was lucky enough to park right at the door, and even luckier to find a seat right next to the front door. For the next 40 minutes or so, people are just ogling the Cayman, staring and giving the car a once-over. One guy saw the car as he was leaving McDonalds and says, "that's a nice car." The kicker was when a group of 4 guys hovered around the car, then one guy gets his picture taken standing next to the Cayman! Make that two pictures, as he wanted two poses with the car!

I had a 944 that was in pretty good shape in the past and strangers would come up and ask if I was interested in selling the car. This is the first time I've had people just stare at the car like it's a piece of art. Men and their sons would admire the car, young women would look at the Cayman as they walk by, it's just amazing! Now I understand why this car is so HOT!
jlow!

That was me. LOL. We took the tribe to the aquarium. My 4 kids don't quite fit in the Cayman.;) Good to see you.

The seahorse exhibit was pretty cool, by the way. Green Leafy Sea Dragon. Amazing.

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with what you say, but I'd add the real allure is the tingly feeling you get watching those folks. In the end, you know that you are the one to drive your Cayman, and that's the true joy, no?
You are absolutely right! I had so much fun watching the 4 guys I almost walked out, asked the poser if his shoes were clean, open the door, roll down the window and have his posse take a REAL picture of him in the Cayman! I just love the thought that people actually were drooling over the car, knowing that I would walk out with my 10 y.o., jump in, and take the car home.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is fun to own and does have some advantages.
The Cayman came without the logo on the back, so people can't quite figure out what it is. . .911? Boxster? They know it's a Porsche from the hood logo, but it keeps'em guessing unless they know their cars, and that's part of the fun, too!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jlow!

That was me. LOL. We took the tribe to the aquarium. My 4 kids don't quite fit in the Cayman.;) Good to see you.

The seahorse exhibit was pretty cool, by the way. Green Leafy Sea Dragon. Amazing.

Dave
Thanks for making me roll down my window! It was a nice quick chat and nicer to have met! I had my son only, the rest of the crew was with Mom up in Sacto so this was definitely a guys trip.
We liked the seahorse exhibit, spent a lot of time at the tank with the hammerhead sharks, too. Both of us enjoyed the ride down from the Bay Area, longest trip in the Cayman since buying the car in SoCal. Going up 101, that was the most fun SoCal-to-NorCal trip I ever had!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts