Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a shiny red button right now, and will likely continue to be until end of this year. It can do no wrong. However, is it really the best fit for everyone? I think these questions will be answered more realistically as time goes on - currently, the GT4 is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I would argue that the Cayman S or GTS is probably the more appropriate vehicle for daily driving and even weekend / fun duties. S and GTS = better ground clearance, ability to drive at 90% more frequently. Even if one could afford either, I would think that many would be happier in the S/GTS camp. How many will really tap the majority of what the GT4 offers?

When you factor in image / resale - yes, the GT4 would likely offer more for only a bit more $$.

How livable do you think the GT4 will be? I don't see the GT3 as an applicable daily driver car - think one still needs a daily car to go along with it. Cayman S and GTS = I think they can be used daily quite nicely. (Of course, everyone's definition of 'good daily driver' varies)

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
There is no one correct answer here -- if you've not owned all models it's highly speculative -- if you have it's highly subjective.

Having owned base and S models, if I had an S with a GT4 engine I'm reasonably sure my lust for thrust would be satiated.

For awhile.

Subtitle: The GT4 is awesome and all but the lowered chassis would not be appropriate for my DD needs.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Having owned base and S models, if I had an S with a GT4 engine I'm reasonably sure my lust for thrust would be satiated.

Unfortunately, it only takes a week or two until you become accustomed to the new power level. Many of my corvette friends who bought their 455HP C7s, just a couple of months ago, are already lusting for the extra HP offered by the C7 Z06.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's sad that the base car gets so little love here.......not even mentioned in the same breath as the ''other'' cars.

As a DD, I would say the base - with base suspension is ideal.
I agree 100% with this. I started my Porsche experience with a 2008 Base Cayman. It is the single best sports car from the dealer I've ever owned.

It was underpowered and under suspended on the track, but to your point it was a great street car (that got 30 mph to boot).

I upgraded to a 2010 Cayman S and quite frankly its too fast for the streets, it's really a car that needs to be on track to be fully appreciated.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Acknowledge, ergo "for awhile", but *gack* I would hope it would be > a week.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
... quite frankly <an S> its too fast for the streets, it's really a car that needs to be on track to be fully appreciated.
Totally disagree! Subjective post is subjective! Cheers and beers!

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
It is a shiny red button right now, and will likely continue to be until end of this year. It can do no wrong. However, is it really the best fit for everyone?
For those that want a track toy, no doubt it’s a blessing so that’s not part of this.

Since a comparison exists, some people choose a GT3 vs TT or X51 S, Some people opt for a 991S X51 or TT simply because the don’t want the hassle between the cars. Others don’t care. If you want bragging rights at the local bar, well that’s fine. If the discussion is suspension harshness, MT, or anything in relationship to any sports car, then I got little sympathy. People have been driving MT and harsh suspensions every day since they invented cars, for millions upon millions of miles, so if you don’t like any of the attributes that come with the car, then don’t buy it. It’s not for you. That’s OK. Not every car is for every person.

Tires are different. By having the car come with what tirerack calls Streetable Track and Competition http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/comp.jsp#Streetable, as does the GT3, it sends a strong signal as to the carmakers intentions for the vehicle (as well as the adjustable GT3 suspension bits). While I am sure someone will say otherwise, tirerack says not for rain and not to see temperatures below freezing, plus they start at 7.2/32 thread. That’s sends a message - take me to a track day - please. Not a good idea to drive in the rain or after the Fall depending upon where you live (I know, someone will now say, “but I drive in slicks on the street in snow storms … until the cops caught me“ :taunt:).

Depending upon where you live, IMO, grab another set of wheels, some snows, and go for it. The snows are the price of doing business. I see no issue with it.

Now the dark side. ….

If someone took the time to read the thousands of threads here, you would find people bought a Cayman and then either complained or dumped their cars. They expected something else. Maybe it’s the torque, maybe it’s the lack of luxury. They come from other vehicles and ALWAYS compare it to their previous Audi, BMW, Toyota or whatever else they owned. It’s human nature because it’s what they know. We all do it. And then for some reason, they are disappointed (e.g., the seats are too hard, the suspension is to harsh, its too slow, "but my Audi did ... ", etc.)

I suspect a lot of potential buyers will perceive this vehicle as just a GTS+ instead of a PAG GT car. After all, there has not yet been a Cayman GT car yet so there is no history. So here is my prediction.

Surely the track guys will LOVE their car. What’s not to like? Now those guys got a turnkey track toy at a cheaper price than the GT3. But there will be a subset of buyers who buy as a GTS+ car and then for whatever their reason might be, dump it by maybe Oct, 2016 or so (considering July, 2015 as first delivery). I got to give them 15 months or so in that they will have the chance to DD for at least a year and a winter. The numbers who dump the car buying it as a GTS+ will be larger than the subset of Cayman buyers who find the S car not to their liking or expectations, simply because of the intention of the vehicle. The 911 buyers have it better in that they can get a TT or TTS.

This will be a GOOD thing for those who couldn’t get a car this year because there will be CPO cars next Winter. It will be a BAD thing for those who end up with something they didn’t expect because of the financial hit.

If I am wrong, then I’m wrong. Everyone can tell me it’s a stupid prediction. But I expect to see a fair number of CPO cars in dealer lots this time next year, and they will not be coming from the guys who track their cars as a hobby.

So yeah, grab the appropriate tires, pay the money, and go for it. Know what you are buying, do your due diligence, and if it fits your expectations, why not? Hopefully, you won’t be one of those guys whose car is in the dealer lots next winter.

BTW, if it turns out I am wrong, well so be it. But human nature being what it is, I suspect there will be lots of people who just want the label, bragging rights, or whatever it is they see. Instead of buying an iPhone 6, there is always those who want the iPhone 6+. And that’s OK. We are all different. But it will be GREAT for the next set of buyers will love them those early adopters who ended up disappointed because the will get the CPO cars. Life will be good. :)

This car is going to make a LOT of people very happy. And the CPO buyers VERY HAPPY. It's all good.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I would argue that the Cayman S or GTS is probably the more appropriate vehicle for daily driving and even weekend / fun duties.

Actually I'd say that the base Boxster\Cayman would be the choice as a DD. Hell, you an easily get a decently equipped Boxster for around $50K after discounts, and get just as much pleasure driving it on the street as the S, GTS, or GT4 guys, unless of course you have a complete disregard for traffic laws and your safety and the safety of other drivers.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Speaking as a former owner of a 987 Boxster and a 987 Cayman S as well as current owner of a 981 Boxster S that is optioned as close to a GTS as one can get, this thread is the best one to date on the pro's and cons of the different models.

One thing to comment is that an S is overkill on the street in terms of ultimate performance but the flexibility of the engine makes it more enjoyable on a daily basis for me. I used to buy open class sport bikes for the same reason. Not that you could use the potential but that the grunt was just so sweet on a daily basis.

·
Registered
575 Posts
OK here is my shot at some thoughts on this, some people may feel differently, that's ok, just an opinion. The GT4 is out. I am salivating even though it is not really what I want from Porsche. I can count on one finger the number of times I have been to the track. However I am all about driving very capable cars on the street within legal limits. I drive 80 miles roundtrip to work every day. Life (to me) is too short to spend 10 hours a week driving something I don't like so I can go out for a 1 hour drive on Sunday in the toy. I throw snow tires on the CS and use it in the winter when it is not too snowy or salty. Everything I own has a clutch with the exception of my wife's car. Automatics are great. So is PDK. Just not for me.

With regard to high powered cars not being ok for daily driving. I don't buy it. Needed? No. Great to have and a ton of fun. YES! For daily driving give me a competent chassis, huge brakes, and lots of torque. All three have saved my butt from other drivers mistakes on the roads of NJ more than one could imagine. An underpowered car can be dangerous on metro highways. None of the 981 Porsches being sold fit that category. All are great. For me the S is more fun on the street and I have not regretted it once. If it had another 100ft lbs of torque I would love it even more.

The GT4 is a special purpose car. Hard to order. Expensive. Rare. With possible collector's value. The daily streets of NJ are perhaps too much torture for a car like that in the winter. If my CS gets stolen, damaged, whatever it is replaceable.

The GTS should have been the 3.8 in the S chassis plus 911 brakes and 20" wheels. done. Instead we got an option package car with a software tweak to an identical engine resulting in a 5% HP increase. Great car, but hardly worth the effort to upgrade.

If they built a GTS with the 3.8, I would buy one over the new GT4 regardless of pricing. There are options on my S I like. I like the interior color, folding mirrors. Lit mirrors. Leather. Bose. I am not alone.

Porsche knows this. They want the GT4 to be impractical, restrictive, and special purpose. They answer to someone that wants a higher powered DD is the 911. Their marketing at its best. Frankly it is annoying.

·
Registered
245 Posts
So I'm a GT4 hopeful (deposit in, but no allocation yet) and I would agree that if this were going to be my daily driver, I'd get the GTS. I'd get the GTS over the S because it has the options I would have gotten anyway. I like the flexibility of the 3.4 over the smaller motor. I'd also get PDK (which I have in my current DD also)

I will say, though, that when I had my GT3 I enjoyed driving it on normal roads as well as the track (especially on the way to the track!). The feel of the GT3's are different from the other 911's. It's the metal on metal suspension, the sound, the steering feel, etc. For some of us, those are things we enjoy even at 40mph. Same is true for the 430 Scud.

I would personally not want any of this on a car I drove every single day though. And I don't like driving summer tires on cold days, even when dry. I don't feel safe and I don't like the feeling of being trapped at work because of a light winter drizzle. So my DD always has a winter set of wheels and tires which may not even be possible on the GT4? (Not A/S but proper winter tires)

I expect the GT4 will have that sort of less grand tourer, more raw, feel but with the added experience of being mid-engine. Does that make it the best Cayman? I don't think so. I think it makes it the best weekend/track toy for me out of the Porsche catalog right now.

If I can get one, of course!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
"Is the GT really the best fit for all?" No. The GT4 is the Cayman equivalent of the GT3, which exists in its own special place in the 911 range not as a be all car but as the pinnacle of on track 991 performance (at least until the RS is out).

Porsche makes 4 different Cayman models now and each one is brilliant. Now people have even more options to find the model that suits his\her needs. It just so happens that the GT4 fits my needs perfectly but I'm a bit of an adrenaline\track junkie.

Good points about tapping the potential of the GT4. I plan to try, several times a year, but on the street it's mainly gonna be to enjoy the sound of the engine and the feel around corners.

Btw, I also agree the base car is awesome. I had one for a day and it was a ton of fun.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well, the GT4 was going to be my track toy.. however the Manual only trans caused me to remove myself from the list.. I have a bad right shoulder and manual transmissions are not fun for me..PDK is the only thing I had to have and can't have..

·
Registered
351 Posts
If the GT4 were the "best fit for all", it would be the ONLY model offered and they'd make far more than 700 of the things (I read somewhere that it was a limited run; I could be wrong about that).

It's clearly not the one ring to rule them all... from a performance perspective or from a budget perspective.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Thinking out loud so hold the torches. I REALLY love the thought of the 3.8. What if the suspension is just too much though. So swap out the suspension with GTS pieces and some upgrades and sell the complete GT4 suspension to some track rat? Cheaper than starting with a GTS and upgrading the motor...

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Go for that bionic arm! Seriously though just have some patience and I'd be surprised if a PDK doesn't show.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's sad that the base car gets so little love here.......not even mentioned in the same breath as the ''other'' cars.

As a DD, I would say the base - with base suspension is ideal.
I wasn't beguiled by the "S", nor enticed by the "GTS", and not even seduced by the "GT4". That poor liddle "base" is still my preferred choice while I linger in the Waiters Club. A decade ago, I peaked at 400 hp and 400 ft-lb, and have been going downhill ever since I learned the difference between going fast and going quickly. GSE rules!

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Yeah I always laugh when I see the phrase 'base Cayman' or 'base Boxster'. Porsche must just laugh when they see the admiration everyone shows for an S. Do they even sell any 'base' 911's?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts