Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon friends.

I am in a quandary. The Porsche bug has been nibbling away on me.

Current situation.

I own a well sorted and maintained 1991 Acura NSX. Very tastefully modified (Volks, JDM short gears, lightened flywheel, exhaust, springs and a handful of chassis stabilizers and non-compliance goodies). 62k on the clock, runs perfect.

I had the privilege of attending a Lamborghini Esperienza event last December at Homestead. After a day of enjoying a significantly more modern driving experience I began to window shop for an upgraded mid engine car. The short list was the Cayman S and the Evora S. I have since dropped the Evora as the IPS system is subpar, and Lotus longevity is a question mark in my mind. I am looking at spending under 40k. I'm likely in the 09 Cayman S world. the only "must have" is PDK, outside that it will come down to price/options/mileage etc.

I don't drive my NSX a ton. 2-3k per year.

Reasons to keep the NSX:
It's iconic and "timeless".
Less than 30 in the Greater St. Louis area (ish).
1 of 175 in this year and color combo made, surely less than that in existence with attrition...
I've been in love with this car since 1991.
Short of Ferrari/Lambo etc, it turns heads... call me vain, but I dig it.
Cost advantage. Cost of ownership as well as overall price. Personal property tax, Insurance etc.
Regret... I would hate to look back 6 months later and wish I kept it. Having both will never pass mustard with the CFO.
Depreciation has stopped other than additional mileage.

Reasons not to keep the NSX:
No matter how you slice it, it's outdated. From ABS to Traction Control.
Dual clutch trans rock. To me manual trans is becoming comparable to 8 tracks.
Comparable performance (same ballpark), nod to the Cayman almost across the board.
In the next year I am facing 3k maintenance in the NSX. Not a reason to sell, but a reason to make a move if I am going to. Just to explain this a bit more, every 10 years regardless of mileage one should replace TB/WB and all other belts and hoses. With the engine out, I'll do the clutch as well. This is however the ONLY maintenance other than consumables that I have had to do since buying it, and likely will have to do for the next decade.

Driving type/use. Weekends and occasional track days.

Let's hear it...

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
first thought... will you drive the Porsche more than the NSX? I'm a Porsche fan, but I still remember buying a plastic model of the NSX back in the day and thought, wow, this is a great car. When I started shopping for my Cayman back in '07, I did look around for a NSX--- heck, if you had offered your car back then, I probably would be driving the Acura.

Switch or not ?? difficult. the NSX is dated -- but what that means is that is just more "old school", but with a nice motor in the correct place. I now have a 2015 Cayman GTS and it is just the opposite -- very modern (PDK, nannies, PVT, NAV, etc.) and a great motor in the correct place. I have a friend who has a collection of Porsche's -- ALL air cooled and definitely "old school". But to get the really "modern" Porsche you're looking at a 981 (of maybe one of the few Cayman R's with PDK) and that means a lot more than $40K.
So, you heard it first here, do the $3K maintenance on the NSX and enjoy. When you are ready for the 981 (or beyond), come on back --- I bet everyone will welcome you with open arms!

D

·
Registered
457 Posts
...But to get the really "modern" Porsche you're looking at a 981 (of maybe one of the few Cayman R's with PDK) and that means a lot more than $40K.
What exactly would make a 2012 Cayman R with PDK the more 'modern' car over a 2010-2012 Cayman S with PDK??

To the OP - I remember Ayrton Senna driving the NSX when it came out...great car!

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
A 2009 Cayman or a NSX? I'd pick the NSX. It looks great. It's exclusive and has a super car feel to it. It's also the better financial decision as you mentioned.

If you were comparing it to a new 981, I'd pick the 981. Just reading what you wrote....I think you really want to keep it. Come back off the ledge.

Reactions: Ynot

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Just my 2 cents.

A mint condition NSX is considered a classic, prices will start to creep up over the years. The downside will be like any other classic car it won't make much sense to drive it much.

Given that your NSX is not in mint condition it probably won't appreciate that much compared to a mint condition NSX but it will retain it's value well. Parts on the NSX will start to become an issue as years go by.

A 987.2 Cayman S will keep depreciating over the years, not sure where the floor will be. The number of 987.2 that were manufactured were substantially lower than the 987.1.

I'm on my 4th Porsche (2012 Cayman R) and on my way to my 5th Porsche soon (GT4).

The 1997 NA2 NSX that I had was a great car that I enjoyed completely (more miles driving from and to the track and on the track than actual street driven miles). Since my car was a NA2 I had no issues with ABS and always ran with TCS disabled at the track. I don't like DCT/PDK on the track but enjoy it for street use (have a R35 GT-R as well).

Been in the Bay Area I see NSX's frequently, ever since I sold my NSX back in 2006 I have never had a second thought about selling it since I spent lot's of $$'s modding the car and enjoying the car to it's fullest for 6 years.

My 2012 Cayman R is track modded so it's not a stock Cayman R, before the GT4 was announced the car would go incognito, these days I see people taking pictures of the car whenever I leave it parked, and sometimes people follow me and take video when on the road, lol. I don't care about attention, that been said the GT-R is a dude magnet compared to the Cayman. Between a NSX and a Cayman S the NSX will get more attention.

If I were in your shoes I would stop tracking the NSX and get a cheap track beater that you can abuse and not feel bad about while doing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMO, the 09 S with PDK would be modern enough to consider the swap... and within range from a price perspective. By the time I can swing the 981, there will be a more moderner Cayman :)

Slooooowly backing away... resisting the urge to go drive one...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be clear, I have not taken my NSX to the track.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
IMO, the 09 S with PDK would be modern enough to consider the swap... and within range from a price perspective. By the time I can swing the 981, there will be a more moderner Cayman :)

Slooooowly backing away... resisting the urge to go drive one...
My neighbor have an NSX, but he never drives it... Just sitting in corner of the garage, looking classy. I never drove one, so can't help you either way. But go,drive the car you looking at, and you'll instantly know if you want it or not. Looks pretty simple process to me :)

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
To be clear, I have not taken my NSX to the track.
Then you should definitely not take it to the track, a NSX that is tracked will not retain it's value as well as a car that is not tracked. I sold my 97 NSX with 75K miles back in 2006 for 30K, considered that was a fair price given the actual number of track miles that the car had.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My brother has an a 91 NSX, with similar mods as yours and coilovers. He more than keeps up with my 987.1 CS (plenum/GT3 TB) in the canyons and the car sounds awesome. The CS will be much nicer to drive day to day, but both actually provide similar experiences when driven hard. As someone mentioned, NSX prices are definitely on the rising part of the curve and you pretty much won't lose any more money on that car as long as it doesn't get damaged whereas you will with any CS you get.

Answer: keep the NSX and sell your possessions to get a CS for daily use. :banana:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha. My daily is a TDI Golf. I drive 30-40k per year.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Both! Or NSX only. And you are right to delete the Evora from your list!

I used to own an Evora S and it is a pain to own, gorgeous car but horrible built quality. I had the pleasure of driving next to an NSX and I tell you, I had to search 2 weeks through all car forums to identify the guy and ask him whether he would want to swap, call me a stalker. Iconic car, love it, this is the 90ies condensed in one car.

Is the Cayman S with PDK a better car, sure. It's not exactly soulless, just the contrary, but you cannot compare it to a NSX. Period!

If if you sell your NSX, you will regret it, it's such a special car. Here in Germany, you hardly can buy one. Just checked, 6 are on sale countrywide, one in pristine condition at $110k, others in a more questionable condition with horrible rims still at around $50-60k.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It's been said already, I'll say it again. Go drive a Cayman S and you will know what to do, one way or another.

·
Registered
432 Posts
tstruyk

I think its a no brainer to keep your NSX. I love my Cayman, I loved it so much I went from a base to an S, so I've owned two Caymans in two years.

My dad had an NSX in '91 so I'm very familiar with the NSX. It's an automotive icon and represents a crowning jewel of Japanese emergence from tiny cub motorcycles to world class car manufacturers. The fact that an NSX can hang with a Cayman at all being that its 25 years old is a testament to how far ahead of its time the NSX was. The NSX was the first car with intake and exhaust variable valve timing, first car with 4 channel ABS, etc.

I actually saw a low mileage '91 for sale and strongly considered trying to make room for it in my garage next to my Porsche. When I realized the numbers would be tight I even had some friends suggesting I sell the Cayman and get the NSX.

Ultimately the Cayman will be the more modern car to own (I'm guessing you don't use the built in phone in the center console of your NSX much). Performance will be similar with an edge to the Cayman. The prices for both cars should be similar with the NSX holding steady or appreciating at this point. Cayman will get less attention.

Because the performance and utility are so close, I think the only reason to change would be because you want something new. The Cayman is the best handling car Porsche makes, I personally think it's their purest driver's car and its so good it's hard to actually find legitimate competitors to it. I mean you wouldn't be wrong either way.

I like the suggestion of a prior responder. Keep the NSX, get a Cayman to park next to it.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
1 of 175 in this year and color combo made, surely less than that in existence with attrition...
Production Numbers - NSX-Wiki

And what color combination is that? Nothing in that reference that talks to 175.

I'll add my voice to the others. 3163 cars sold in the US total. Get rid of the modifications. Return to OEM. Keep another 20 years. Someday it might be worth what you paid for it adjusted for inflation. Buy a 987.1 or early .2, it's value will go to zero. Nothing special there. A NSX was considered special in its time.

I say keep it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sell the TDI and buy a cayman for your daily. !! Tons of trunk space and great road manners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
There were more 1991 NSXs sold than any other year (3000+ in North America), which makes it the least "collectible" version. Still a very nice car, but in my view not nearly as desirable as a a later version (MY 2000+) that only sold a couple of hundred a year in NA. In reality, any 2009-2012 987.2 Cayman is rarer than a 1991 NSX: a 2012 Cayman - with 554 total sold in North America accoring to GCBC - is the rarest of the lot.

Keep the NSX because you like it, because it's a icon, because it's as quick and better balanced than the crappy 348 Ferraris of the era...I can think of a bunch of reasons to keep a '91 NSX. Not because it's rare or a collectible, though. If you can get out of the NSX and into a 987.2 of your liking for around the same money, that would seem a good move. Just my .02.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
A different take: What are you going to do, keep it forever? Life is too short to keep a car for too long. Get an updated fun car.

Reactions: spaceman

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Exactly. Don't sacrifice future fun for some old has been car, even of it is bound for collectorhood. Just my 2¢...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts