Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 100 miles into my CS an a guy in an NSX pulls up beside me on the freeway and starts Rev'ing. Now of course Im not biting at 100 mi. and just stayed cool. But anyone care to comment on what these two cars would looklike in a shootout? I always loved the NSX in highschool (12 years ago), but dont really know what year this car would have been, looked newer though? He did give me a thumbs up, even though I didnt 'play'

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'll bite on tbis one. In my opinion, the Cayman S is a definite 1st place in most all catagories BUT, the NSX is an extremely close second in many.I owned a 91 NSX for about a year and 10K miles.It's on my top three list with the Cayman Sas top choice. Some ofthe NSX's strengths in order:

Handling and balance, performance, exterior and interior design, longevity of original design, reliability and low cost of ownership, aftermarket performance products, exclusiveness. BTW, the new generation has been in very secret developement in typical Honda style and should be emerging before to very long. It will be a real contender. There will continue to be a lot of great new car candy coming out in in the months to come. These are great times for automotive enthusiasts! /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/thumbs_up.gif

John

Edited by - screebo on 08/01/2006 11:34:42 PM

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think he was refering to his chances if he were to race the nsx (I assuming from a standstill as opposed to already moving in this assessment). If it was a newer NSX (assuming stock) it would likely be a toss up, probably the deciding factor being the driver. The NSX could have a slight edge, but it would be very small if so. I am also a huge NSX fan, I can't wait till I get a chance to lineup next to one with CS, with or without my 300 miles. As far as break in, I realize some intial benefits while the rings and valves seat , clutch and such, but not for 2k miles. My dealer told me in regards to the break in period, 'don't worry about it, just don't go redlining it for a little while while you adapt to the car so you don't end up killing yourself'. He added, 'trust me, the car has been redlined for more than a second before leaving the plant'. To be honest, I couldn't even wait 10 minutes from leaving the dealer to 'get on it' a little bitwith 5 miles on the car. I think for the first 500 you should keep the hard driving limited to short intervals as a precaution, but to each his own. When I rebuild our race engines for our quads we are done with break in after 2 tanks of gas. Check out this link... the guy could be full of hot air but if his side by side shots of the pistons are any indication, it seems running it hard off the bat is ideal and not the other way around. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Screebo, I have never owned an NSX, so your opinion is valuable to me. The one time I rode in one, it seemed like there was some body panel shake. Did you notice this trait? Also, while nicely finished on the inside, Japanese cars seem to age a certain way on the interior that has them all looking like a Toyota down the line (This maybe the fault of the products used by the detail shop). Lastly, the NSX was a 'deceptively' fast car. You didn't feel like you were really going that fast until you look at the speedo; would that be your assessment?

·
Registered
543 Posts
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Ekoostik[/quote] - you should have rev to 4500 rpm and release. Porsche are made to be driven...look at the missed opportunity. Your story could have been...'i smoked one of the best (arguably)sport cars ever made”… or if the opposite happened you would have had the opportunity to practice and improve…<o:p></o:p>[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p></o:p>[/quote]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Enjoy the car… <o:p></o:p>[/quote]

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think NSX has aged extremely well - I see few around and it still looks good. Most people would not be able to guess at the age of the design. NSX was the first car I saw in person with a glass engine cover and loved the look of it.

Another thing that comes to my mind was the great commercial they used to have - NSX being driven in Italy and an older fellow asking if the car was a Ferrari, and a young fellow would reply 'No papa - its an Acura' ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Nobody spins a yarn better than KaiserSozay. Nobody!

I always wondered why there weren't any vowels in NSX. I had always thought they were silent, like in NoSeX. They never seemed to be much of a babe magnet ...

·
Registered
145 Posts
As the owner of a 1998 NSX-T (3.2L, 6-speed) I am very pleased to read such balanced reponses here on this thread.

I recenlty spent three weeks and 400 miles in my best friends Cayman S and I was very impressed. The P car is stunning to look at and beautiful to drive.

IMO, and only my opinion, same driver on the same day, a MT Cayman S would easily walk away from an early 3.0L NSX with a 5 speed. It's not that the car isn't quick but the gearing on the original NA1 NSX leaves a lot to be desired from a standing start acceleration standpoint as the power drop off from the 1 to 2 shift is pretty substantial. A 3.2L 6 speed car would be a very, very even race to a Cayman S.

My NSX has just over 50K miles on the odomoeter and it has an intake and an exhaust. Otherwise it's bone stock. To my rear end, and senses, it is noticably quicker than the Cayman S when accelerating. And I feel that it puts power to the road better (I'm guessing primarily due to the LSD).

The Porsche, on the other hand, has much better steering feel, brakes, and chassis rigidity. Keep in mind my car is now nearly 9-years old and it has the removable roof panel but the closed roof Cayman S is solid as a rock.

The amenities, of course, in the Porsche are worlds better but for the HVAC system (my buddy's car has the standard AC and it works fine but it's a mystery to me how Porsche can charge so much for a car and still charge more for paint, HID's, auto AC, etc.).

If I were to buy new (and there are still a few 2005 NSX's to be found), I'd honestly buy the Porsche. It's a better overall car and although it doesn't feel as exotic to drive (some would argue that's a good thing since it has real storage space and you can easily get in and out of it as well as drive it over speed bumps). But I really love the NSX and find it to be a more visceral car to drive.

Heck, they're both great cars. And what's interesting is that they both get knocked by knuckleheads who don't know much about cars (the NSX for not having a V8 and the Cayman for being purposely detuned and not a 'real' Porsche). Reality is that they're both fantastic driving machines and cars that true enthusiasts see the beauty of.

Enjoy your Croc's. They're great cars.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Da Hapa,

Thanks for that great explanation of the NSX. Ive always loved that car, although Ive never even taken a ride in one. Its amazing to me how the car has changed apparentely so little yet doesnt look dated at all, thats great stylingimo. I'll be anxious to see what they do with the new car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Da Hapa,

Thanks for that great explanation of the NSX. Ive always loved that car, although Ive never even taken a ride in one. Its amazing to me how the car has changed apparentely so little yet doesnt look dated at all, thats great stylingimo. I'll be anxious to see what they do with the new car.

No worries. While the changes to the NSX over it's 15-year run seem trivial (0.2L diplacement increase, 1 more gear, bigger wheels, tires, brakes) the two cars do drive quite differently from one another.

I too am anxious to see what Honda does with a replacement although the latest scuttle butt is that there won't be another NSX, instead Honda is goinf to the front engine/RWD route to accomodate a trunk large enough for two sets of golf clubs ( a la the Lexus LF-A).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts