Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking a while and now I'm ready trade in my BMW t-shirts and get a Cayman. I'm looking at a 2016 Cayman S with options I like and CPO till early 2022. for about $51k. Seem like a pretty good deal; thoughts?

·
Registered
870 Posts
My advice is to post a link to the add for,the car your looking at or post the build sheet. You can look up the build sheet for your car by vin #.

you can comparison shop on the Porsche website.

Pricing is dependent on a few things IMO, your location ( you didn’t say where you were from ), mileage, service history, CarFax history, options on the car.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Seems great, but the devil is in the details. Interested to hear your thoughts (BMW vs Porsche) if you get into a Cayman. I didn't understand the Porsche fanboi stuff until I owned one...they really are unique cars and well worth the cost of entry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They say the next stepping stone from BMW is Porsche.. I came from a M3 to a 981 and they are no comparison. I don't miss the BMW at all but it was a great car. The 981 on the other hand is just a different animal, always puts a smile on my face when I get in.

·
Registered
468 Posts
A buddy of mine is a die hard M3 fan. He loves the BMW gizmos, lots of tech that is offered on BMWs. He has yet to try a Porsche mostly due to that fact - Porsche is much more simple and driver focused vs all of the gizmos (on an apples to apples cost comparison).

I can say too, as he and I got our cars around the same time...after 4 years, his is alot 'looser', more rattles, more signs of wear...whereas mine is still tight as a drum, solid and basically fresh and new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
FWIW, when i was in the market in 2018 for 2016 CGTS w/ MT, low mileage, CPO and other options, I performed my search via Autotrader since i was looking for a rare car. I have found that most dealers use Autotrader and/or Car Gurus. I was thinking that in Atlanta which supposedly has the highest number of Porsches that I could find one locally but that was not the case. During my 4 month search only one w/ my specs showed up at a dealer but it had 40k mi. I searched nationwide with the plan to purchase and drive back or have it shipped. Over the course of my 4 month search there were usually about 30 CGTSs on the market with a third having MTs. I created a spreadsheet to keep track of details (pricing, options, length on market, etc - I am an engineer so what can i say!) and tracked ads daily. When the right one in the right price range appeared I was prepped and ready to make offer over phone. I was prepared to fly to Arizona the next day to view it but after getting dealer to send many more photos the dealer said I would be wasting my time/money since the car was flawless. I ended up having it shipped from AZ to ATL where my first time seeing it was when it was unloaded from the enclosed carrier. In your case there are thirteen 2016 CS in Autotrader and if you filter it down to CPOs that leaves you with 2. So you too are looking for a rare car. There is one for $58k in Pittsburgh w/ 5300 mi and the other is $72K (way too high) in NJ w. 11k miles. Just my two cents from my experience. I absolutely love mine and I am sure you will when you find yours. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
First, there were only 576 Cayman S in model year 2016 (I scraped a lot of data from vinanalytics), so they are rare regardless of options.
About 75% will be PDK
About 46% will have Sport Chrono
About 13% will have PASM

I was looking for a 2015-S, PDK, SC, PASM, 14 or 18 way seats (18 way seats are extremely rare on Caymans), less than 30k miles. I also wanted 2-zone climate and ventilated seats. And a Luxor interior, exterior color was secondary.

I ended up with 2014-S, PDK, SC, PASM, 14 way seats, 17.4k miles, climate control and Luxor interior. Mine doesn't have ventilated seats. Exterior is Basalt Black, which is quite nice for black.

I think $51k is low for a 2016 CPO (CPO is worth about $2500 retail). To get that price you may have to get a high mileage or an older, but identical vehicle.

For comparison 2015 S models, there were 927
2014 S models, there were 3137

good luck. I've had mine 4 weeks, my commute to work is now twice as long ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you are stuck on CPO this one is a nice find. Check out a 2014 Porsche Cayman S - $46,444 - $46,444 on CarGurus at CarGurus - 2014 Porsche Cayman S - $46,444
Plenty of non CPO out there that are great and simply need a $200 PPI to confirm they are good to go.
No way to comment on the car you are looking at since there was no link.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
They say the next stepping stone from BMW is Porsche.. I came from a M3 to a 981 and they are no comparison. I don't miss the BMW at all but it was a great car. The 981 on the other hand is just a different animal, always puts a smile on my face when I get in.
I came from 3 series coupe. I think what you describe is coming from a very unfair place - unfair to both BMW and 981. They both have 4 wheels and a steering wheel, but that is about where all similarities end. Only in my opinion, that's all.

981 was built ground-up as a totally useless piece of machinery with only reason to exist being to provide the driver with most emotion and fun you can have with clothes on. BMW, on the other hand, started life as a useful mechanical contraption made to carry people from A to B, stow quite a bit of stuff in the cabin and the trunk, provide sufficient insulation to make the journey comfortable ... and so on. Yes, that all is true even when it has ///M badges everywhere. It is still useful mechanical device modified in power and chassis/suspension to go fast - but that is not making it sports car. Never will.

And that is the Porsche Kool-Aid everybody hates us for. Until they try ANY properly done, ground-up sports car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I came from 3 series coupe. I think what you describe is coming from a very unfair place - unfair to both BMW and 981. They both have 4 wheels and a steering wheel, but that is about where all similarities end. Only in my opinion, that's all.

981 was built ground-up as a totally useless piece of machinery with only reason to exist being to provide the driver with most emotion and fun you can have with clothes on. BMW, on the other hand, started life as a useful mechanical contraption made to carry people from A to B, stow quite a bit of stuff in the cabin and the trunk, provide sufficient insulation to make the journey comfortable ... and so on. Yes, that all is true even when it has ///M badges everywhere. It is still useful mechanical device modified in power and chassis/suspension to go fast - but that is not making it sports car. Never will.

And that is the Porsche Kool-Aid everybody hates us for. Until they try ANY properly done, ground-up sports car.
I've misspoken my bad :censored:

The usual stepping stone is M car to 911. The 981/718 is usually compared(cross-shopped) to the M2 now. My route was different but nevertheless the general consensus I've encountered is that P-cars are seen as an upgrade from BMW.
I had the 4-series coupe (F32) before the M and that car was good at getting from A to B as you said, driving it was boring.

I was just trying to say that there's no regrets for me coming from BMW to Porsche. I was trying to tell OP to do it, that they'd wouldn't regret it.

Cheers (y)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've misspoken my bad :censored:
No, no, you didn't. I just realized I didn't finish what I wanted to say ... finishing now ...

It is unfair to compare the task "taking family shopping" between any ///M car and Cayman/Boxster/911 - very unfair. As it is unfair to compare visceral feelings you get out of those 3 when compared with any ///M car.

There, now I finished properly what I wanted to say in that first post ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
A couple years ago my son was turning 16, so I was going to give him my old 2006 is250 and started looking for a new daily, the 4 series has always caught my eye so I shopped daily for a clean low mile CPO white m-sport ...long story short, I loved the f32 so much it got me thinking of selling my 92 NSX, for a modern day sports car and the 981 fit the bill.

I blame the F32 for me giving me the Porsche bug if that makes any sense :rolleyes:

Love me my white German girls😍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input... The deal is pulling me in as I think its a good one. I was planning to make the change in the spring, but like dekolds I started the spreadsheet (also an engineer), even nerding out and regressing the online data to get predicted price and depreciation. Once you decide what you want, you have to be ready to jump.

Anyway, this will be the first time in a few years getting just a discretionary fun mobile. I have enjoyed a car in which I can comfortably commute in the summer and also take to the track 3-4 times a year. Now I have the time and wherewithal to get a more focused track tool.

The only off-puting thing so far is the beige interior; it's really almost orange. Might hurt resale a bit but what can you do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update?
[I’m a former E46 (ZHP Perfomance Package) addict.]
The deal fell thru at the last minute. You can see my later post if interested. I currently drive a M235i with which I've been well pleased. Lately BMW's I've had have been rock solid- once i got past my E46, lol. Now I'm looking for a more dedicated track car. I've compared tests, reviews, etc of M2's and Caymans and this is the way I'm heading. Not there yet tho

1 - 15 of 15 Posts