Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that I searched the forum for and can't really find the answer...

When I go on sites like cars.com or Autotrader I see a ton of used 981's available. Granted many are virtually brand new. But still Cars.com has 149 "used" 2014 & 2015 Caymans available and 2015's just came out. Compared to 75 2010, 2011, 2012 total. Why is this? This time next year I will be looking to trade in my 2009 535xi. I have long adored the Cayman and would love to pick one up. A new CS is out of the question. I'd like to keep the car price around 45-50K. This would allow for minimal, if any, financing. Sure I could borrow 50% of the price but that's just not something I want to do. So I guess my question is, will used 981's be as prevalent in the future and what will predicted prices with the look like?

The way I see it I hopefully will have 3 choices (in no specific order)...

1. Cayman Base... stripper new or decently optioned used (I had a 328 and always wish I had bought a 335. I fear I will again always feel like the little brother. Then again if it gets me in a Cayman…)
2. Used Cayman S (will the prices drop into the 55-60k range and will there be a decent number of <15k mile, PDK cars out there?)
3. New M235 (I like this car a lot. It is not a Cayman but a very close second for me and I know I can get a new one for cash)

Sorry if this is confusing. I swear I am not a dope when it comes to cars and car buying. I am just a dope when it comes to Porsche's. But I'd love to get into one and be one of the many former BMW lovers that I see on here all the time.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The world wide recession in 2008 meant many people cut back on expensive luxury cars. I think there is a thread on here that says how many cars were sold per year by month for the last few years.

Far fewer 987s were imported into the US until the 2013 981s came out. You see a lot of 1998 - 2007 cars, but few 2008 - 2012. For the moment, the inability to tune the ECU of 2013s and later mean if you are looking into a vehicle to modify, the early DFI engine cars (2009 - 2012, harder to find) are more desirable, at the moment. This will change when/if the ECU encryption on the 981 is broken. The fact the 987s are cheaper, means more money is left over for upgrades, compared to the 981.

The slightly increased HP, more aggressive looks, better fuel economy of the 981s have increased sales since 2013 and more are available on the used car market. Back in April, when I bought my Cayman S, there were a lot of 981 dealer demos and launch models on the used car market.

·
Registered
798 Posts
My advice is get what you want and don't settle on cayman base, 987, or 235. Get the Cayman S and if you don't want to finance then wait a few years and you should be able to find one at your price point. Get the right car or you will always have doubts and end up wasting money, time, and happiness.

If possible hold on to your 5 for extra years until you find the right Cayman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My advice is get what you want and don't settle on cayman base, 987, or 235. Get the Cayman S and if you don't want to finance then wait a few years and you should be able to find one at your price point. Get the right car or you will always have doubts and end up wasting money, time, and happiness.

If possible hold on to your 5 for extra years until you find the right Cayman.
I agree, don't settle, it's always better to get more than less and regret later. 45K might be a stretch for a low mileage 981 Cayman S, I've seen mid to low 90's MSRP listing for mid 60's. Probably sold for $62-63kish. I'm assuming mid 50's for a low mileage with desirable options this time next year. I would rather spend 5K more for everything I want then spend 5K less for one that I settle for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting points about the number of 2008-2012's sold compared to previous and newer models.

And I suppose the best point was about not settling. If I have to finance $10-1k or wait another year to get exactly what I want I suppose it will be well worth it in the end.

Thanks for the info and thoughts. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Even if you "settle" for a 987 or a base 981 you are still getting a pretty darn good car. ;) Just saying.

·
Registered
67 Posts
One other thing greatly effecting the mix of used vehicles is that many 981's are coming off lease and going into the used market.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Or........Do what I did and get a hail damaged (repaired 100%) car right after it snows :) I got 12% off MSRP on a 2014 Boxster about 2 months ago. Most Porsche owners are OCD about the car and would never buy a repaired car even if you can not tell it was ever damaged in any way (and the tittle is 100% clean). I have even heard posters on this site freak out because their car was stored outside prior to delivery. I'm not criticizing those people...I'm thanking them :) It made my dealer VERY willing to deal. I got WAY more car for less money. Dealers also get nervous in winter. Cars on the lot cost them money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts