Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thought I'd do a quick poll here for those who've installed numeric cables in a 987.
When they were fresh, did anyone experience a scraping feeling, like a fine-grit grind as you shift?
I think it's the internal rods scraping against a braid, and feels a bit like scraping your fingers over sand paper.

Background: 987.1 6-speed
  • First set of cables had this scrape, and sent it back to Numeric.
  • They confirmed there was a problem, and sent another set back.
  • I installed the new ones, and it's the exact same feeling even though they checked & lubed the new pair.
  • Both time, it's the vertical action only. Horizontal motion's completely smooth and feels like butter.
I suppose there's always a chance that lightning can strike twice and that I got something bad... but before being too much of a complainer, I thought I'd check in here to see if anyone else felt that, and if it goes away on its own.

This upgrade's logged 0 miles due to so many debugging steps, but i'm considering a swap back to the OEM cables right now... sigh.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I installed my Numeric cables almost 6 yrs ago and I'm still happy with the decision. I do remember an odd feeling at first. It was so long ago I don't know if I'd describe it the same as you. However, after a couple days, I removed the shifter boot and sprayed WD-40 on the exposed cable ends and probably got a few other parts. It seems to of fixed it.
It's possible your problem is caused by friction in the shifter that wasn't obvious due to the extra slop. These cables, being beefier, are stiffer. Do you still have the stock 987 shifter? Mine is a GT3 shifter with metal bushings.

·
Registered
993 Posts
No scrapping feeling from my Numeric system, shifter and cables. I'm happy but the shifter is getting a little broken in. Not sure there are ways to tighten it up the bolt action, Shifter wheel on the transaxle is fine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've got the numerics and that doesn't sound normal, no.

It's possible you're just feeling something else now that the cables are more direct. Fore-aft is the left input on the transmission: maybe go back there and take another look? There is a 5" diameter weighted wheel that's behind the transmission input and attached to the input with a link. The wheel is just free-spinning and doesn't do anything but add some "heft" to the shift throws, but some folks have had an issue where the shaft on the wheel rusted and caused problems. If that's seized up a bit I suppose it could be causing your problem?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm another long-time Numerics owner, and I've had zero problems. Any roughness in the throw of the shifter is not correct.

I would start by popping the rear left shift cable connection off at the transmission. Now see if the shifter has any roughness (it should be completely free). If so, you have a problem with the cable routing or in the shifter itself. If there's no roughness with the cable off, your problem is with something on the tranny, quite likely the weighted wheel as gubi suggests.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, the shifter's only got 20k miles on it, and without the cables connected, moves in all dimensions fluidly.

I also tried grabbing the linkages at the back, and rotating the wheel to see if the grind originates there.

I've done this both with, and the without the cables connected and can confirm that the transmission's not the inducer.

This all points towards the cable yet again... sigh, all these re-installations are both downtime and money consuming!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I felt there was some scraping when my racing numerics cables were new. I applied a little grease to the metal of the cable where it protruded from the cable sleeve. That seemed to help -- either that or I've just gotten used to it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
In related question (shifter noise), I'm still getting some transmission gear whine at high RPM transmitted through the cables even after installing the rubber insulation from racing numerics. Is there something more I should do? I think there are non-metallic end caps that that connect to the transmission, but I haven't tried that.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Check to see if you have any metal rubbing against the cables over the engine that could transmit the vibration. Use Zip ties if necessary to pull the cables up away from the intake runners, plenum and throttle body assembly. No touching of the cables in the engine compartment to any hard surface. That should help, but not take away the transmission gear whine. The new OEM cables will relieve that whine, but more time is involved in the install of these cables compared to Numeric's and the gear detents are not felt with the new OEM product.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts