Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello - does anyone local have one that I can borrow/buy for the weekend?

Thanks!

Edit - disregard, the wrench was missing from the shipping box and Numeric is sending one. I was hoping to install this weekend, the car is my DD and the oem cables are toast. On a side note, the Numeric cables look solid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I meant to follow up with this. The installation went well, I would rate my mechanic skills on the lower side of intermediate and I was able to do it thanks to this forum. Just take your time, it helped having my ipad in the car with me in order to reference pictures etc... I also kept things very well organized (putting screws etc.. into labeled ziplock bags) and purchased an interior plastic pry bar set. I basically followed this thread, posts #2 and #76: http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-and-boxster-service-and-tech/55989-another-broken-shifter-cable.html

I did NOT have to lower the engine as described on my 08 Cayman S. I also just backed the car on ramps vs jack stands and did not have to remove the rear wheel(s). The only mishap was punching myself in the face when removing the shift boot. lol

The installed cables shift beautifully! So much better than stock even with the stock shifter. The only negative is a moderate increase in noise, particularly when accelerating from lower RPMs. I reused all of the sound deadening material from the OEM cables which helped a little.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Did mine on Thanksgiving & I agree, they make shifting so much better. I need to adjust mine just a touch because I think they stretched a little, but they're a huge improvement & I'm now confident they'll never break.

We reused all factory rubber to deaden sound & it wasn't enough. There's definite (but pretty faint, I'm just a sensitive diva) noise that transmits from the cables up thru the console. I can cover the console with my hand & arm & the sound all but goes away, so I see dynamat or similar in my future. Good post with photos of how to do it at Reducing Numeric cable noise - Rennlist Discussion Forums.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts