Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've tried searching but can't seem to find a post which explains how much room there is in the fusebox in a 981 Boxster (GTS) for connecting an OBD Bluetooth adaptor. Is there enough space to leave the dongle connected and close the fusebox so that it's neatly contained inside?

The unit I'm looking at is the Kiwi 3 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016X3L0O2/) which seems to have good reviews and it says when inserted protrudes only 0.68 inches.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think clearance under the fuse panel lid is limited so if it doesn't fit, many people use a right-angle adapter/cable (also available on Amazon) for aftermarket dongle devices.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think clearance under the fuse panel lid is limited so if it doesn't fit, many people use a right-angle adapter/cable (also available on Amazon) for aftermarket dongle devices.
Thanks for the info! In that case with the right-angle adaptor it would fit in with the lid closed?

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Probably jumping the gun here but I was wondering what your plans were for using an OBD interface. I recently started experimenting with an Arduino 101 and using it in my car for various tasks. I've used it with a GPS to record my track course layouts for AX but more recently some active race data. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the GPS quite up to the 10Hz speed yet so I've tabled that for the moment. Now I'm thinking of using the BT LE interface and a BT OBD to record active vehicle information. Something of a toy but quite powerful and inexpensive ($30 gets you an Arduino 101 board).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably jumping the gun here but I was wondering what your plans were for using an OBD interface. I recently started experimenting with an Arduino 101 and using it in my car for various tasks. I've used it with a GPS to record my track course layouts for AX but more recently some active race data. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the GPS quite up to the 10Hz speed yet so I've tabled that for the moment. Now I'm thinking of using the BT LE interface and a BT OBD to record active vehicle information. Something of a toy but quite powerful and inexpensive ($30 gets you an Arduino 101 board).
Actually this may be good for me to start a similar project (I'm an EE and have done a lot of embedded HW & SW) and I miss my tinkering days. But also a quick and easy thing to do is to build an app to log and visualize the data, etc (of course you can just download an app from the app store).

I wanted to record GPS tracks and vehicle data and visualize them and then analyze the data, mostly just out of interest and fun, and also analyze stats for performance driving.

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Exactly but you need to get the GPS transmit rate up high enough to matter and you still have leave room for the accuracy. The 101 is nice because it includes built-in gyro/accelerometers and runs quite fast as compared to an Uno. There are plenty of people doing this kind of thing but the one I want to try next is the OBD interface to read what's going on while moving.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly but you need to get the GPS transmit rate up high enough to matter and you still have leave room for the accuracy. The 101 is nice because it includes built-in gyro/accelerometers and runs quite fast as compared to an Uno. There are plenty of people doing this kind of thing but the one I want to try next is the OBD interface to read what's going on while moving.
Yep makes sense to have a higher rate "true" GPS as opposed to smartphones mixing a combo of GPS, cell, & WiFi, which doesn't always provide a nice consistent location.

Hmm it seems like the 101 is likely to be discontinued due to Intel dropping support. I'll have a deeper look once I get some time!

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Intel is constantly in search of the next 6502. The good thing is that the component pieces are available on Adafruit, Sparkfun, Robotshop, etc. And that's only the top level processing where you also have Raspberry Pi, etc. This technology is getting quite close to Lego blocks and the average DIY can make some very impressive stuff. I missed that your original posting included GTS - congrats - they are amazing. I've been focusing on improving my driving skills on autocross and since its fun and costs money but not labor :) I've decided to try and use the Arduino stuff to help. I recently got a TFT shield which I intend to make into the G-force display but with some additions. Specifically I want to be able to see how I get to my peaks to make sure I'm not braking early so I'm adding some code to "draw" the lines as I move around so I can see if I didn't stop hard enough or missed enough acceleration.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Intel is constantly in search of the next 6502. The good thing is that the component pieces are available on Adafruit, Sparkfun, Robotshop, etc. And that's only the top level processing where you also have Raspberry Pi, etc. This technology is getting quite close to Lego blocks and the average DIY can make some very impressive stuff. I missed that your original posting included GTS - congrats - they are amazing. I've been focusing on improving my driving skills on autocross and since its fun and costs money but not labor :) I've decided to try and use the Arduino stuff to help. I recently got a TFT shield which I intend to make into the G-force display but with some additions. Specifically I want to be able to see how I get to my peaks to make sure I'm not braking early so I'm adding some code to "draw" the lines as I move around so I can see if I didn't stop hard enough or missed enough acceleration.
Thanks! I should have the GTS in a couple of days! :) Yep I have a spare Raspberry Pi so might be what I'll get started with. Autocross and track days are exactly what I'd like to have this logging and visualization system for. I did a lot of custom low-end and high-end vehicle dynamics stuff back in my hey days :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.