Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, guys, I was hoping that I would fight the urge to open this topic, but the truth is that I find it irresistible...

I ordered a BS in May, my production date is Sep, 15. My order will be locked on 15th of July, next week.

What I ordered:

Boxster S
White exterior, black interior in standard leather (wanted YB, not available anymore), YB top.
19" Boxster S Wheels
6 speed manual
PASM
PSE
TPMS
SDSW (Sport Design Steering Wheel)
Sport Chrono
Bose Surround Sound
Ventilated/heated Sport+ seats (2-way)
Rain sensors
Front and rear parking sensors with backup camera
CDR+ (needed for backup camera)
2 zone climate control

Most of the options are "must have" for me, but probably I could ditch Bose and 2 zone climate control (I want it for "auto" mode)...

My biggest debate now with myself is color. There are only 2 options for me - White or Guards Red (I like yellow too, but I already have one yellow car)... I think white is more elegant than red, especially with blue top. Red is more attention seeking which I don't really look for, but it looks so good on Boxster... So, color is really a problem for me right now. Darker tones are not suitable for my climate, and silver/grey I don't like much anymore.

So, first question, should it be white or red? Thoughts on top and interior color will be highly appreciated, too.

Second question - did I forget any essential option that I will definitely regret not ordering?

Thanks everyone in avance for your input!

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I'm partial to Guards red, but then again in Miami you'll see a sea of silver, grey, white and black cars, sprinkle in some dark blue and dark brick reds, but Guards Red or Speed Yellow isn't seen everyday. And I agree, 987/981 platforms look great in red.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have a white car with yachting blue interior and blue top. I have had many compliments about the combo. If I had a black interior i would do black top to match. It's also easier to match subsequent mods like blacking out emblems, rims, dark tail lights, and wheels with the black top.

White is awesome. It's my first white car and it always looks great. Also good in hot climate and less maintenance than red. Red can fade over time as it absorbs more light. If you wax often and don't leave it in the sun you should be fine. Also it shows scratches and swirls more easily.

Keep the Bose. It's the worst sound system I've had in a car but can't imagine how bad the stock system must be.

That's my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm partial to Guards red, but then again in Miami you'll see a sea of silver, grey, white and black cars, sprinkle in some dark blue and dark brick reds, but Guards Red or Speed Yellow isn't seen everyday. And I agree, 987/981 platforms look great in red.
Good point! In my country I saw one sliver 981 Boxster and one white 981 Cayman S... Any color will be rare here. The thing that I forgot to mention, our taxis are red, and there are millions of them...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a white car with yachting blue interior and blue top. I have had many compliments about the combo. If I had a black interior i would do black top to match. It's also easier to match subsequent mods like blacking out emblems, rims, dark tail lights, and wheels with the black top.
Agree, white exterior + YB interior + YB roof was a first choice for me, but YB interior is not available anymore in my country... Roof color is now one of my doubts.

White is awesome. It's my first white car and it always looks great. Also good in hot climate and less maintenance than red. Red can fade over time as it absorbs more light. If you wax often and don't leave it in the sun you should be fine. Also it shows scratches and swirls more easily.
It will be my first white car, too.

Keep the Bose. It's the worst sound system I've had in a car but can't imagine how bad the stock system must be.
I'm not an audiophile, maybe even base system will be enough for me. For instance, BMW base sound system is ok to me...

·
Registered
294 Posts
With a sea of red taxis, then it seems to me that a white Boxster with a blue or black top with matching interior would be best. As for options you 'omitted', I suggest that you add;
1. the smoker's package as it adds a cover for the otherwise hole in the console;
2. white dials, because they look sharp, especially with a white exterior, and belong on a sports car;
3. PDLS lights, a must in my opinion;
4. Sports suspension, and;
5. Sport design steering wheel.

To shift around your costs, I suggest you drop;
1. Rain sensors. If you feel rain drops on your head, put the top up. You don't need to pay for a sensor to tell you when it's raining;
2. PASM. I have it on my Cayman and I honestly can't feel any difference when it is on and off. I've read here that the sports suspension is only 20% stiffer than when PASM is "on" and the car is another 10 mm (3/4") lower so it rides better and sits lower = all good.

A build is a personal choice. Your choices are all good, mine would just make it better! :hilarious:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With a sea of red taxis, then it seems to me that a white Boxster with a blue or black top with matching interior would be best. As for options you 'omitted', I suggest that you add;
1. the smoker's package as it adds a cover for the otherwise hole in the console;
2. white dials, because they look sharp, especially with a white exterior, and belong on a sports car;
3. PDLS lights, a must in my opinion;
4. Sports suspension, and;
5. Sport design steering wheel.

To shift around your costs, I suggest you drop;
1. Rain sensors. If you feel rain drops on your head, put the top up. You don't need to pay for a sensor to tell you when it's raining;
2. PASM. I have it on my Cayman and I honestly can't feel any difference when it is on and off. I've read here that the sports suspension is only 20% stiffer than when PASM is "on" and the car is another 10 mm (3/4") lower so it rides better and sits lower = all good.

A build is a personal choice. Your choices are all good, mine would just make it better! :hilarious:
All good points!
I already have 1 and 5... 3 (PDLS) is something that I was considering, but I don't drive a lot at night. Probably will include it anyways.
Rain sensors are only $100, so no big saving here...
As for PASM vs X73, well, I searched and found a lot of threads on this, and basically it is advised not to get X73 if there is a higher probability of scraping... Taking in consideration our roads, the probability of not scarping is low, so I preferred PASM.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If I had a black interior i would do black top to match.
The original order, white with blue top and interior, was going to be awesome. But if you go black interior, I would not keep the blue top.

I now see that garnet red leather is gone, too -- red top and interior would be great with white. White or Guards Red paint with brown top and Espresso leather would be awesome -- but the leather is more expensive.

Another thought: Blue and/or red leather may return soon. If you can hold off a couple of months, there's a chance that replacement interior colors will then be available to order.

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
452 Posts
Since you already selected PSE and a 6-spd, maybe consider PTV?

As far as color, I've owned plenty of both red and white and don't think either is a bad choice. My current Porsche is white. I think it's elegant and classy (when clean).

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with white in Costa Rica! Especially if you don't look for attention red will get.

Ok, guys, I was hoping that I would fight the urge to open this topic, but the truth is that I find it irresistible...

I ordered a BS in May, my production date is Sep, 15. My order will be locked on 15th of July, next week.

What I ordered:

Boxster S
White exterior, black interior in standard leather (wanted YB, not available anymore), YB top.
19" Boxster S Wheels
6 speed manual
PASM
PSE
TPMS
SDSW (Sport Design Steering Wheel)
Sport Chrono
Bose Surround Sound
Ventilated/heated Sport+ seats (2-way)
Rain sensors
Front and rear parking sensors with backup camera
CDR+ (needed for backup camera)
2 zone climate control

Most of the options are "must have" for me, but probably I could ditch Bose and 2 zone climate control (I want it for "auto" mode)...

My biggest debate now with myself is color. There are only 2 options for me - White or Guards Red (I like yellow too, but I already have one yellow car)... I think white is more elegant than red, especially with blue top. Red is more attention seeking which I don't really look for, but it looks so good on Boxster... So, color is really a problem for me right now. Darker tones are not suitable for my climate, and silver/grey I don't like much anymore.

So, first question, should it be white or red? Thoughts on top and interior color will be highly appreciated, too.

Second question - did I forget any essential option that I will definitely regret not ordering?

Thanks everyone in avance for your input!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The original order, white with blue top and interior, was going to be awesome. But if you go black interior, I would not keep the blue top.
I now see that garnet red leather is gone, too -- red top and interior would be great with white. White or Guards Red paint with brown top and Espresso leather would be awesome -- but the leather is more expensive.
Another thought: Blue and/or red leather may return soon. If you can hold off a couple of months, there's a chance that replacement interior colors will then be available to order.
I could always wait, but I'm not very happy with the idea that I can end up with turbo4...

Since you already selected PSE and a 6-spd, maybe consider PTV?
As far as color, I've owned plenty of both red and white and don't think either is a bad choice. My current Porsche is white. I think it's elegant and classy (when clean).
I'm considering it now :)

I don't think you can go wrong with white in Costa Rica! Especially if you don't look for attention red will get.
That's what I was thinking...

Thanks guys!
So now I have the following situation:
- Exterior color definitely white. I'm consulting my dealership again, if YB interior is back, I'll go whit it + YB roof. If not, well.. I still have some time to think.
- PDLS - almost sure I will add this to my order.
- Bose - keeping this.
- 2 zone climate control appears to be a 0 option here, so keeping this too.
- Now, PTV. I was thinking about it, I'm not going to track the car, maybe once a year. But I definitely will go fast on windy backroads. Do I really need it (it is quite pricey option here almost $2500)? *leaves to search PTV threads*...

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
You don't NEED most of the options you've mentioned. Hell, all of them. It's the question of what you WANT and how much you want to spend. Just to put it in perspective - people where driving for 110 years without PTV, and were enjoying sport cars nevertheless... :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
You will not be racing it on a track and there is no snow in costa rica, so I doubt you have any "need" for PTV. There are enough automatic nannies that protect you from your over-enthusiastic driving that you won't even notice PTV if you get it. So save the money, or spend it on another option you are on the fence about, like the PDLS. Why limit your driving to daytime only? with these lights you will want to drive at night too, and you should!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You don't NEED most of the options you've mentioned. Hell, all of them. It's the question of what you WANT and how much you want to spend. Just to put it in perspective - people where driving for 110 years without PTV, and were enjoying sport cars nevertheless... :)
You are right, I don't need it. I'm just a clockwork chrono-orange lost in Porsche's marketing labyrinths. I ask myself would I have considerably more fun with PTV? I doubt that.

You will not be racing it on a track and there is no snow in costa rica, so I doubt you have any "need" for PTV. There are enough automatic nannies that protect you from your over-enthusiastic driving that you won't even notice PTV if you get it. So save the money, or spend it on another option you are on the fence about, like the PDLS. Why limit your driving to daytime only? with these lights you will want to drive at night too, and you should!
Good point. :cheers:

·
Registered
534 Posts
You'll have to be beating the car pretty hard to notice PTV I would think. Autocross or track days will benefit for sure. Street usage will probably see minimal benefit most of the time.

Also, being highly subjective I know, but I've never been a fan of anything but black tops on convertibles. This crosses an aesthetic line into the "weird" for me.

As for the exterior color, you see what I chose :)
The red is bold, classic, and will always look great. I find white, silver, grey, black - basically any of the "monotone" colors to be extremely boring to me. Practically half the cars on the road are some shade of white/grey/black.

The choice is subjective though. I would HIGHLY suggest going to the dealer and seeing these colors in person. I was all set on ordering a Sapphire Blue car... then I went to the dealer and saw the Guards Red and Sapphire Blue side by side and it was simply no contest. Sitting side by side, it was almost as if the blue car didn't exist.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Carmine Red. Consider a GTS.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I am partial to Guards Red also. If you really don't like attention then don't get it. Everyone comments on my car. It's actually starting to get annoying sometimes.

Reactions: stratman

·
Registered
294 Posts
Red or Sapphire Blue? This is a perfect example of subjective choice. I did the same side-by-side comparison and the choice for me was clear: Sapphire Blue! The red is sharp, but the blue is stunning. Get the color that you like best, even if no one else agrees - it's your choice.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Mahogany Metallic with Luxor. That is my 2016 order. My 2014 is Black with Luxor my 08 CS was Guards with Black and my Cayman R was Carrera white with Black. If you want unusual......in person, Mahogany Metallic is a gorgeous color (POV, of course).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for input!!

You'll have to be beating the car pretty hard to notice PTV I would think. Autocross or track days will benefit for sure. Street usage will probably see minimal benefit most of the time.
I decided negative on PTV, I studied all recent (and not so much) threads yesterday, it looks that I will not fave considerably less fun if I don't order it.

Carmine Red. Consider a GTS.
No GTS available for our country :(

If you really don't like attention then don't get it. Everyone comments on my car. It's actually starting to get annoying sometimes.
Porsche itself attracts a lot of attention here, that amount would be more than enough for me I guess :)

So, I added PDLS to my order today.
Yachting blue interior still not available, no change since May. Agate Grey / Amber Orange - another combination that I like with white exterior, but not available either. So I guess I'm stuck with standard black interior, which is nice too.

I found a couple of pictures of white ext/blue roof combination. I think it looks cool.

d03713e5ac229cb54b42c6bcbb8aba3fx.jpg Photo Jun 05, 11 18 55.jpg Photo May 06, 15 26 13.jpg Photo May 06, 16 25 11.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts