Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from 1470 miles in nine days; visiting friends and relatives in various towns in VA and NC; we stayed in BB’s for the most part. This is the furthest we’ve taken the car, by far, since taking delivery in September.

We used the fitted luggage from Schnell plus, to carry wine where/if we stopped at wineries, the soft-sided cooler mentioned in a topic elsewhere in P-9, which meant we could only use 3 of the 4 luggage pieces. We could have stuffed in one additional part-filled soft duffel. The only space crisis was managing the passenger compartment, which became clogged with: maps, the tablet computer, wife’s purse, hats and sunglasses, and other things we felt we could not be too far from so we didn’t put them in either trunk – not having a back seat is a challenge sometimes. Oh, and keep a rag in the car for wiping hands after repeated applications of sunblock.

The Boxster’s ride and handling shone throughout, and I’m glad we got X-73. I never really explored the limits but there were opportunities for “enthusiastic driving” while still having a reserve of handling and braking just in case – like on Route 600 south of Deerfield, VA, a twisty scenic road but frequented by wide lumber trucks coming the other way in a hurry.

The engine is great, but on some hilly sections we were doing more downshifting than I expected (base model Boxster); with the tallish gearing, it’s easy to fall off the bottom of the torque curve. Of course, if I had been driving faster I would have been at higher RPM’s on those hills, right?

Fuel mileage continues to impress, considering the car’s capabilities. Almost always in the 30’s indicated, saw 34.0 on the long run home despite an hour spent in 5[SUP]th[/SUP] not 6[SUP]th[/SUP].

One evening we were out (wife driving), heavy rain and for the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] time, even with “every button pushed” could not clear the windshield where it fogged up. Time to RTFM... again. I still think the HVAC controls were designed for non-human users.

Even in truly rural regions, where we might have had the only non-pickup for miles in any direction, we constantly got favorable comments on the car. And despite the nose decorated with every insect on the East Coast, the car does look good.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Perhaps you already know this, but regarding window fogging, there is a secret option deep inside the menu that disables auto-recirc:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-problems-complaints/102847-defrost-defog.html#post900346

Until I changed that setting, my windows fogged up constantly, even though I *thought* I had already turned recirc off. Apparently, this secret option overrides the button on the dash. It is further evidence for your theory about who the HVAC was designed for ...
:taunt:

Reactions: tiger1964

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got almost all of the bugs off last night without resorting to the air chisel.

Perhaps you already know this, but regarding window fogging, there is a secret option deep inside the menu that disables auto-recirc:
Did NOT know that and, as I said, I really need to read up more on the car. That said, when I had the "fogging incident" it was during a severe rain squall, staggering amounts of water about... wouldn't I have wanted auto-recirc at that point? Normally in other cars, I source air from wherever is driest: if not raining, from outside to avoid my exhalations, if raining I recirculate as to not draw in hyper-damp air. Wrong?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Thanks for the write up. Your impressions of the x73 on longer trips echos mine. Anyone who thinks it is in any way too stiff must be really sensitive, think princess and the pea, or drive on absolutely miserable roads.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Did NOT know that and, as I said, I really need to read up more on the car. That said, when I had the "fogging incident" it was during a severe rain squall, staggering amounts of water about... wouldn't I have wanted auto-recirc at that point? Normally in other cars, I source air from wherever is driest: if not raining, from outside to avoid my exhalations, if raining I recirculate as to not draw in hyper-damp air. Wrong?
You may be right ... I mainly just wanted to point out that, whatever you were trying to do with the HVAC, you may have been less in control than you thought due to these types of hidden settings.
:cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts