Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first writeup I've posted in quite a while though I've been a sponsor here for several years already and it's a significant one! My client drove all the way down from Colorado (to Anaheim, California) for me to polish his paint and I think you'll find the process to be informative and the results outstanding. The client told me that he was out of superlatives to describe his happiness and joy in seeing his car being transformed. He posted a review on me and my work in my Black Wow interview here on Planet-9. :thumbup1:

So let's get started. I originally posted these images on my FaceBook ShowCarDetailing Fan page. There are additional comments there if you want to have a look.

Wash was ONR
Clay lube was Meguiar's Last Touch
Clay was Meguiar's C2000 Mild
Main Polish used was Prima Swirl.
Finish Polish was Prima Amigo
Wax was Prima Epic synthetic polymer
Polishers used included Makita rotary, PC 7424XP, Metabo SXE-400
Total work time was about 30 hours spread over 3 days.
These chemicals are available at www.ShowCarSupplies.com

Some holograms

Some more holograms

Vinyl goes over clear bra protection

Brought inside the shop for washing and prep.

Going to use ONR and two bucket wash method with a presoak.

For the presoak I spray ONR on with this pressure sprayer. I used refilled the bottle once for the entire car.

Presoak to soften the dirt/contamination

Using Meguiar's Tire Foam

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rinsing with distilled water using the Nomad

All Finished with the wheels and tires

Time for some clay

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A quick check outside to see how the progress is coming. So far it's just been rough polished.

Looks finished but still a lot of work to do!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My client accidentally induced scratches on his engine bay cover so I polished them out

First I removed the cover using some vacuum lifters

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now it's all finished!

The client was super pleased about how his car turned out saying that he had never seen it look so good before.

The actual interview is posted on my Black Wow interview but I've copied it here for convenience.

"I am currently having my '06 Cayman S detailed by Richard Lin, and at this time--even before the final product is completed!--the results are nothing short of amazing. Richard's work is an art form for him, and I have observed his mastery. The swirls, holograms and small scratches have been eliminated through multiple wash and polish steps, and he has revealed (even before wax) a metallic blue Cobalt unlike any I've ever seen or imagined. In short, I believe the paint to be better than it was showroom new...it's that good! On an personal level, Richard has provided excellent customer service. His communication skills are clearly a strong suit, and he willingly imparts knowledge and advice about process and product. He is also gracious and generous, having invited me to dinner at his sports bar and grill in Corona, CA. I have traveled from Denver, CO, to have this work done and I can say without hesitation or any equivocation there's no doubt it was worth it. Highest recommendation."

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
Amazing work. :cheers:

I think of this as akin to a "restoration", as opposed to a "detail job". Am I right?

Where does an intensive job like this fit into the grand scheme of caring for a car that is driven on a regular basis. Outside. ;) Where things get dirty?

Clearly, the implication is that a decent percentage of the work you have done is going to survive the drive home, right?

This could be the most often asked question in this sub-forum...I will do a search. :) If so, I apologize.

Again, :cheers: to your fine work. Craftsmanship.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Yep it's a restoration for sure. There is detailing involved but the majority of the work is paint polishing. Ideally you would do a complete paint polishing and never have to do it again because you would maintain it and use the right techniques to prevent putting the scratches and swirls back in. The client had purchased the car second hand, and I went over with him how to properly maintain the paint so it will stay looking great as long as he keeps it up.

All of the work I did will last as long as the owner maintains it..swirls aren't going to return because they have been knocked out. However, new swirls can be instilled again such as being put through a car wash, letting the dealer wash it, or using contaminated towels to wipe the finish.

Although I recommend a second visit within 4 to 6 months because that's really the maximum longevity of any car wax, most of my customers return after about a year. This car was nearly flawless when it left, though some flaws were impossible to remove, and even after 3 days of work..there were still more flaws that I could see but the client couldn't and I think that's best because it's a balance between leaving enough paint on the car to not compromise its longevity over the life of the car, and trying to make it look perfect.

Let me just add that part of the problem of "people often wondering whether the work is going to last on his drive home" stems from the fact that most people associate detailers with guys that come to their office or home and buff their paint. Most of them are production detailers where their focus is doing as many cars a day as they can. They use techniques that benefit their need for speed instead of benefiting the longevity of your paint or achieving quality results. What happens is they use products that will make the paint look good for a few days or maybe even few weeks until they can return to charge you again to work on the car some more.

My work is about achieving the best possible results while being realistic about the capabilities of the paint and keeping in line with how the owner is able to maintain that finish. There is no point is trying to make a car as close to flawless as possible if he's going to park it under a tree in front of his house overnight as soon as I'm done.

Thanks for the feedback!

Richard

Amazing work. :cheers:

I think of this as akin to a "restoration", as opposed to a "detail job". Am I right?

Where does an intensive job like this fit into the grand scheme of caring for a car that is driven on a regular basis. Outside. ;) Where things get dirty?

Clearly, the implication is that a decent percentage of the work you have done is going to survive the drive home, right?

This could be the most often asked question in this sub-forum...I will do a search. :) If so, I apologize.

Again, :cheers: to your fine work. Craftsmanship.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Very well done, it was a difficult detailing job. I just can't understand how someone would allow a Porsche deteriorate like that. Anyhow you sorted it out brilliantly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! Well the good thing is that the current owner did the right thing by bringing the car to ME for restoring it. It was the previous owner that neglected the paint! ;)

Very well done, it was a difficult detailing job. I just can't understand how someone would allow a Porsche deteriorate like that. Anyhow you sorted it out brilliantly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts