Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 981 has about 6k miles on the clock and recently I've been hearing an odd noise at 2600-2800 RPM. It's somewhat easy to repeat. Most noticeable in 5th gear with light throttle input (gradual increase from lower RPM to around 2600-2800 RPM) and a bit more audible on slight uphill grades. The noise is fairly faint and doesn't last long at all, maybe 1-2 seconds. Then, gone. I would describe the sound as kind of a gurgling/rasp noise, almost vibration/flutter like. I can't figure out if it's coming from the intake, engine, or exhaust tract.

Anyone want to put in their 2 cents?

Yes, I'll be bringing this up on my next dealer visit for sure.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks marc!

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm...no input?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sport exhaust? Possibly a defective flap in the exhaust that creates that sound.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have PSE, it's just stock exhaust. It does sound like it's exhaust related at times. Other times it just sounds like vibration of a heat shield or something.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm starting to think this issue is pre-ignition/knocking. Odd thing is, I was getting my gas from Costco (top tier gas) and like most Costco stations their gas turns over very quickly. I assuming it's fresh gas. I recently used Shell, busy station as well. Getting the noise after both stations.

I may try 100 octane gas and see if it goes away but I'm certain their 100 octane gas has been sitting for quite some time since there aren't many people getting 100 octane. I'm sure it will be fine though.

Time to jump over to the other thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts