Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you remember your odometer reading when you got the oil change warning/alert of your new 981? I got mine at 5,900 kms (3,687 miles) about 13 months since new. Car is moderately driven with few aggressive acceleration after reaching 85* Celsius oil temperature. Never revved the engine past 6,500 rpm.

·
Registered
437 Posts
you are likely getting it because it has been over 12 months. The interval is 10k miles OR 12 months.

Reactions: JohnnyQuest

·
Registered
267 Posts
And yes, you need to change your oil. And pay someone on this forum to put more miles on your car!

Also, you're beyond break-in. Nothing wrong with going to redline after the engine is warmed up. Enjoy your car a bit!

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Yes I need to wring it a bit more:). The highest speed I have done so far is 155 KPH (97 MPH) but always worried in our area as they impound your car for very high speed violation.
I am going for first oil change tomorrow and put a dimple magnetic drain plug at same time. I'll go to dealer for first time but will do it myself after that having ordered Hazet 2169 and Mahle OX366D kit from RM European. They seem to have the best deal & previously purchased from them for my BMW and Mini cars.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Cool. Ed's done his research. =)

Hopefully your kit comes with a crush washer and replacement o-ring for the oil filter. Mahle makes good filters along with Mann and Fram, although I'm just buying the OEM kits from Suncoast.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The dimple magnetic plug came with aluminum crush washer. They actually gave me 4 pcs (free). I hope the O-ring gasket comes with the filter as they advertised it as kit.
Like many here, I will stick with Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro Formula.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Like many here, I will stick with Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro Formula.
Not sure what your climate is like, but here in SF Bay Area (summer time) my car is liking the 5W-50 better. The engine runs just a bit smoother on that.

There's nothing wrong with 0W-40 though, other than that ExxonMobile changed the composition and you can no longer easily get the good "euro formula" stuff. It's all "FS" something or other and lost the BMW LL-01 rating. It still meets Porsche A40 though.

The 0W-40 will do better than 5-50 if you're not pushing your car hard very often, I believe. Better cold start protection in exchange for a little less effective high temp viscosity. I just run my car hard enough on back roads that I feel I'm better off with the -50.

We actually had to step my wife's MINI down to 0-30. The computer got mad after 2500 miles on the 0-40 that my family was stocking for all our cars. Now we're all on mostly different oils, darn it.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes I need to wring it a bit more:). The highest speed I have done so far is 155 KPH (97 MPH) but always worried in our area as they impound your car for very high speed violation.
I don't think anyone here would recommend you need to drive over 100 mph on public roads to wring out your car. It's more about bringing it up to the redline through the gears ... until you hit a safe speed limit that won't get you arrested. I love winding it out as I shift ... but back off quickly as I get into ticket territory. Then there's always the option of putting in some track time ... where speed is a big plus and the only limit is the driver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.